fishybuzz
Apr 4, 2003
Tucson
Visit site
Name
David Tang
Boat
Intrepid
Last trip I set my drags on my atd12 to 32# at strike and at a point about 3/4 to strike 25#this was with the preset at "J" ..... I caught a nice fish (222#) on it and it took some good runs ...next morning I checked my drags ....the drag had dropped off to 22# at strike and 14# at the 3/4 position......I had to move the preset to "M" to get the strike drag back to 32#......this is the first time any of my ATD's have lost drag .... Is this typical ???....or does this reel need servicing???

My Atd 30's and 50's were still right on the money...

Sactotuna

Well-Known "Member"
Oct 20, 2005
sacramento
Name
jim
Boat
Royal Star
Somethings amiss, none of my atd's have ever had a change in drag!
I'd tear it down and have a look see, or send it in.

Fishybuzz

fishybuzz
Apr 4, 2003
Tucson
Visit site
Name
David Tang
Boat
Intrepid
Somethings amiss, none of my atd's have ever had a change in drag!
I'd tear it down and have a look see, or send it in.
That's what I was thinking...Got another trip in early January..hope they can get it back by then...

Thanks....

Fishing11

Jun 10, 2010
Oregon
Name
Bryan
Boat
none
drag setting sometimes change overnight - weather conditions - best to check drags each day but that is a big difference

Fishybuzz

fishybuzz
Apr 4, 2003
Tucson
Visit site
Name
David Tang
Boat
Intrepid
drag setting sometimes change overnight - weather conditions - best to check drags each day but that is a big difference
I do... that why I found the difference but it is the first time it has ever happened with my ADT's....

HermosaJoe

Well-Known "Member"
Jul 31, 2010
Hermosa CA
That's what I was thinking...Got another trip in early January..hope they can get it back by then...

Thanks....
Wow, my heart bleeds for the pressure you're under, David. Just not enough time between trips, huh?

Envy has spoken!

I know I should have taken a job in a PUBLIC university. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Last edited:

fishhard1

Accurate Fishing Products
Advertiser
May 5, 2005
Corona, CA.
www.accuratefishing.com
Name
Matt Harper
Boat
none....yet.
It's definitely not typical for the drag to change that much. Ten pounds is a huge change. Like four letters on the preset arch.

Makes we wonder if there was some kind of false reading initially. Maybe the braid was put on so tight that it expanded the spool. Once the line went off the spool catching that tuna, the spool returned to normal which would drop the drag. Seen it on a spinner once. We can check it out if you like.

Fishybuzz

fishybuzz
Apr 4, 2003
Tucson
Visit site
Name
David Tang
Boat
Intrepid
It's definitely not typical for the drag to change that much. Ten pounds is a huge change. Like four letters on the preset arch.

Makes we wonder if there was some kind of false reading initially. Maybe the braid was put on so tight that it expanded the spool. Once the line went off the spool catching that tuna, the spool returned to normal which would drop the drag. Seen it on a spinner once. We can check it out if you like.
Caught 2 good fish the first day...it was day two that the drags changed.... yep 3 letters worth.

You will have it by Thursday...... already talked to George and Jose about it, you were busy.

Thanks for your response Matt....

Keith Poe

Jan 27, 2004
us
Name
kp
I use one of two $2500.00 digital scales to set my drag I picked up when i was first weighing live sharks years ago and doing the living IGFA apex predator records.

The system is now used all over the world in fisheries management.

Scales can vary like the drag scales with springs.

Another way to accurately set your drag is using weights to lift off the deck and set the drag just enough to lift them and not slip can be very accurate pun intended.

Seen large differences in diffrent drag scales.

Just thinking out loud gentlemen.

Fishybuzz

fishybuzz
Apr 4, 2003
Tucson
Visit site
Name
David Tang
Boat
Intrepid
thanks keith..good info however I used the same scale both times....and I check it t home by lifting different weights with it. all my other reels were fine.

Fishybuzz

fishybuzz
Apr 4, 2003
Tucson
Visit site
Name
David Tang
Boat
Intrepid
Yes one has to calibrate the scale with a known weight....it is close enough for setting drags but not accurate enough to sell meat with...lol

dalurker

old skool rules
Dec 23, 2004
Cyber Sea
Name
#%^&) !!!
Boat
my blood vessel
hmmmm... interesting...

here's my take on what "MIGHT" have happened...

during the initial setting of the reel, there may have been debris or salt or excessive grease or something :shithappens: on the drag surface which caused a false initial drag reading.

once fished and "broken in" by a screamin' fish, the grease or whatever oozed out and nothing displaced the area previously filled thereby causing the drag pressure to drop. hopefully the drag at least stayed smooth for ya.

JMHO...

Keith Poe

Jan 27, 2004
us
Name
kp
Yes one has to calibrate the scale with a known weight....it is close enough for setting drags but not accurate enough to sell meat with...lol
If you are meat fishing they should be OK if you are checking them regularly but might want to stick to something more reliable if considering close line class challenges especially chasing records or on bigger game unless you do not mind potentially losing a battle to questionable methods of setting drags but if the tackle strength is far beyond the power of the target they should be OK but personally not for me.

Attachments

Fishybuzz

fishybuzz
Apr 4, 2003
Tucson
Visit site
Name
David Tang
Boat
Intrepid
If you are meat fishing they should be OK if you are checking them regularly but might want to stick to something more reliable if considering close line class challenges especially chasing records or on bigger game unless you do not mind potentially losing a battle to questionable methods of setting drags but if the tackle strength is far beyond the power of the target they should be OK but personally not for me.
So Keith what alternative do you recommend short of dropping $2000 on that digital certified scale you have???? and I don't or can't envision having a weight set on a long range boat.....

Last edited: