Chanel islands YT mid July?

Discussion in 'Fishing Chit Chat' started by TravisAZ, May 31, 2018.

1. TravisAZ

TravisAZ Member

Name:
    Travis
    Boat:
    Favorite Mistake
    Will be dragging my pocket cruiser out to Ventura Harbor mid July, and will be looking to pull my first yellowtail from my own boat. Odds are against me as the boat isn't fishy at all, I have limited tackle, and the crew is my wife/daughters. I have a decent amount of experience fishing sport boats out of SD when I get the chance.

First off there is no bait tank so the game plan is to drag a couple of X-Raps or BBZs or ??? If that doesn't work then chum kelp with cut chovie/squid and toss plastics or yoyo some irons.

Any general areas to target would be appreciated. Also any tips (other than obvious birds/life/kelp paddy) on where to troll - i.e. current breaks, depth, temps, etc appreciated!

2. InDeepShip

InDeepShip Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Adam
    Boat:
    In My Dreams
    Looks for the birds. Get a good pair of binoculars and if you want to take someone who’s been fishing CI for all there life give me a pm

3. Barkoff

Barkoff Newbie

Name:
    Mike
    Just curious, how do you define "pocket cruiser"?

4. TravisAZ

TravisAZ Member

Name:
    Travis
    Boat:
    Favorite Mistake
    25 footer with berth and head down below. Single sterndrive v8. You def wont see us out there if the weather sucks.

5. YouFARMEDItBro

YouFARMEDItBro Member

Name:
    Farmer
    Boat:
    Sold It.
    Trolling Rapalas and feathers in the gap between Anacapa and Santa Cruz Island. Check out yellowbanks. You will find them. Also get some good class and look for breezing schools of angry bonito. Fish the boilers in close and you will find them. Watch out for the many MPA zones and DFG.