Chance at trophy bonito!

Excaliber

Oct 12, 2006
Meridian, ID.
Name
Mike
Boat Name
sold
15-18 lb Bonito are monsters. I've never seen one that big. When we were kids we would catch them all the time up to 9 lbs or so. We would bleed them and keep them on ice. Cut out the blood line when filleting.

We used to dip them in egg and roll in breadcrumbs and fry them in butter. They make the best sandwiches. One of my favorite fish.

Upvote 0

Rabid Fish

Jun 27, 2004
Southern California
Name
Alex
Boat Name
26'
It's all good....I agree they are fun, only fish I can really stomach is smoked bluefin...and that's even a stretch.
I mean it's cool if you don't like fish but maybe if you don't like fish you shouldn't be calling fish a trash fish esp one as tasty as bonito which pretty much everyone now agrees is delicious

Upvote 0

Workplacesafety

Reducing workplace injuries and illnesses
  • Feb 20, 2010
    Long Beach Ca.
    Name
    Jeff Bruner
    Boat Name
    14ft Valco, San Diego Long Range Boats
    Fishing for Bonito as a kid out of Oceanside is what got me hooked on this sport. Light line fishing at its best. Those bastards are all attitude and fight
    Me too. Wide open off the rocks in the San Gabriel river up here in Long Beach. Even better on the Seal Beach barge, that was my start.

Couple years ago I got a legitimate 10lber on the way home on the Rooster (8-day). Mentioned under my breath that if I was a Kid, I'd be stoked. Andy heard me and said "either with or without the bonito" Made me think a little. I do miss them.

Upvote 0

Omarkayak

I've posted enough I should know better...
    Jul 26, 2007
    Northridge, CA
    Name
    Donald W. Clarke III
    Boat Name
    11+ ft, Ocean Kayak Scrambler, P 'N' Queue Pod
    You got that right....tuna belly is nasty...like eating fish flavored vaseline.
    Too funny! Reminds me of when I ate sea slug once. I said at the time it was like eating a plastic bag filled with vaseline. Still salivate thinking about it but not the good kind of salivating, more like the one where you feel like you're about to hurl

Upvote 0

SMYLEE

3 different fishermen use this account
    Mar 9, 2011
    San Diego, CA, USA
    Name
    ""
    Boat Name
    24'custom
    Me too. Wide open off the rocks in the San Gabriel river up here in Long Beach. Even better on the Seal Beach barge, that was my start.

Couple years ago I got a legitimate 10lber on the way home on the Rooster (8-day). Mentioned under my breath that if I was a Kid, I'd be stoked. Andy heard me and said "either with or without the bonito" Made me think a little. I do miss them.
    It was on that very vessel I fell in love with the bonito. We always, on every trip 4 days or longer ran into cedros or “the bush” island (Islas de San Benito ) and we would catch monster bonito. I was on that deck for 3 years. And every time we pulled in there I always was taken back at their size. Island of “Giant boners” we had some that would easily beat the current record but we threw them all back. They were so thick nobody cared. (On every deck I worked on) I saw many bonito fights that were deemed to be a giant YT just for a bonito to show color. I’ve seen them doing big fish things crazy things. Seasoned fishermen had to put the rod down after a dozen. They were monsters down there…

And at least a dozen guys on BD;
    HAD TO OF EXPERIENCED IT. I know they are still fishing and possibly lurking the site.

The current record for pacific bonito is 24.9lbs… talk about a fighter!! Fun stuff. Imagine if they came back larger and larger. Their population finally rebounded back since the commercial fleet almost wiped them out for canning. But imagine if they finally showed back up in larger sizes like the BF did…🔥🔥🔥🔥

I give credit we’re credits do. And the bonito deserves it. Especially when it’s bonito season, time to go catch without the finicky attitude Great all around tiger tuna, Always up to bite. Which in turn is always a good fight. 10/15lb line fun times

Upvote 0

4tunate

Almost A Member
  • Sep 26, 2021
    Reno, NV
    Name
    Brent
    Boat Name
    LowKeys
    I grew up fishing bonita with a feather rig behind a splasher off the rocks at the 'bubble' near the short pier in Redondo. And quite a few off HB pier on diamond jigs. Great fighters and when properly bled/iced they made good table fare. Nowadays we have evolved Ikejime and I imagine it's better than ever.

As a sportsman, I wouldn't kill a fish that I didn't intend to eat, and I don't waste bellies or collars. I also don't waste deer or Elk liver and hearts. IMO it's all about proper care and cooking technique. My two cents,

Upvote 0

watersdeep

I CATCH IT. I KILL IT. I CLEAN IT. I DON'T DELIVER
  • Jan 19, 2016
    LB
    Name
    Jed Venture
    Boat Name
    the twisted ducker
    To the Bonito haters:

Throw it in a frying pan with butter, garlic, and tyme. Cook it a few minutes each side, while basting with the butter. sprinkle a little salt and some lemon juice. It’s really good!

No bs, my mother in law thought it was chicken.
    Don't bother Bob, some of these guys can't buy a clue if it's 50% off at the 99cent store.

Upvote 0

Arima-bob

Ship faced aquaholic
    Mar 9, 2012
    Too far from water
    Name
    Beeulzebob
    Boat Name
    uh....
    Don't bother Bob, some of these guys can't buy a clue if it's 50% off at the 99cent store.
    I hear ya. I was always told Bonito were crap fish, and I believed it up until a few years ago. A buddy of mine loves and and makes sashimi with them, and after catching a few I asked him about cooking them because I wasn’t going to get kids on board with raw fish. He told me to toss them in the frying pan with soy sauce, and they came out great. The recipe I posted above was my my idea, and it was really good too

Reactions: watersdeep
    Upvote 0

titos334

VIP Elite Member
    Aug 19, 2012
    Hell
    Name
    Kevin
    Boat Name
    Rainbow Surprise
    Smoked Bonito is fantastic, poke is to when made with it and the fish is fresh

Smoked bonito was probably one of the grossest things I've ever tried and I feel like it's a myth of being good like abalone and BSB which also sucked. Legit feels like a prank like treefish smell like pine or gotta eat a tuna heart.

Upvote 0

Yellowtail Dan

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Apr 10, 2006
    Roseville Ca
    Name
    Dan
    Boat Name
    Excel, American Angler
    Smoked bonito was probably one of the grossest things I've ever tried and I feel like it's a myth of being good like abalone and BSB which also sucked. Legit feels like a prank like treefish smell like pine or gotta eat a tuna heart.
    Wow, I sure hope you’re kidding. All 3 of those are great table fare.

Maybe you just need cooking lessons?

Upvote 0

reelbadlarry

Jun 25, 2005
    socal
    Name
    Larry
    Boat Name
    23ft parker, reel bad
    I made some smoked bones after our last trip 2 yrs ago....IT was amazing... just brined it the dry rub I use for smoking meat......it was like candy.... motor blew up after that trip and been dying to go get some more... my bro in law said he would BUY it from me it was that good.

Upvote 0

Kai

Catch the big ones!
  • Mar 16, 2004
    Oxshit
    www.youtube.com
    Name
    Fish Killer
    Boat Name
    none.
    On the Freedom about 4-5 years ago, I caught two yellowtail over 22 lbs and a monster bonita over 10. Damn did that thing pull. And did a number on the sheepshead.

My hands were raw on end of day 1 on a two day trip, from reeling.
    Good times!

Reactions: SMYLEE
    Upvote 0

Arima-bob

Ship faced aquaholic
    Mar 9, 2012
    Too far from water
    Name
    Beeulzebob
    Boat Name
    uh....
    No bs brother! Like said above, don’t freeze it cuz it won’t be good. When caught, bleed it and put it on ice. When you filet it, cut the skin off and cut out the blood lines (that’ll gag a dog). If you cook it, try it a few different ways, it adapts to flavors really well.

Side note; I was talking to goofy on the thunderbird and he told me a lot of guys don’t keep bones, so he uses them in "tuna" fish sandwiches. Guys have no idea they’re eating Bonito

Upvote 0

Tunahead

Long Time Tuna Abused Member
  • Aug 11, 2006
    Costa Mesa
    Name
    Ron
    Boat Name
    several
    We caught some big Bonito fishing for Rockfish at the Finger Bank w/Chris on Indian several times in April-May. However, getting down the rail with anglers parked with rockfish bracket rods was a chore in itself. LOL LOL LOL
    Always has a small jig rod at the ready as Yellowtail sometimes showed too.

Reactions: Yellowtail Dan
    Upvote 0