DOGHOUSE26

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Feb 22, 2004
Escondido, CA
Name
jeff meeker
Boat
26 Blackman Billfisher
Just got back from a fabulous weekend @ COA and I can't say enough about the operation. The people were so nice and accommodating, food was great, and we never had to handle our gear from our rooms to our panga each day as it was ready when we boarded our craft. I had fished Cedros 3 previous times on the American Angler so I had some idea of the island and spots where we had connected before; I was a little disappointed as I reviewed the sea conditions on Buoyweather.com before we left and it forecasts stated 5' swells @ 5 seconds and 16-20 kt winds with gusts to 30 the first 2 days and the wind would back off slightly the next 2 days; not exactly great conditions in a 26' panga. Cedros is a large island so hopefully we could find a calmer place somewhere to fish each day. I took my 73 year old brother from Arizona and my painter and his son who both fish Mexico a lot. We bought the Basic Package that flies out of Ensenada, we arrived on the Island around 2PM and after a few tasty casa dias we were on the water by 3. As we approached the island by plane I noticed a ton of whitecaps and rather large swells going down both sides of the island from the north, so it seemed the south side of the island would be our destination for that afternoon. The wind had been blowing for a couple of days limiting where boats could go, we were told there was a ton of red crab and finbait everywhere and the yellowtail fishing in particular wasn't very good, the fish were full. They were right as we saw bait everywhere and when we arrived to the south end of the island we saw schools of bonito and the occasional yellow bust through the bait; we would fire our surface irons through it time and time again for the occasional 4-8# bonito, although it was hard to stand up in the 5' swells @ 5 seconds. My skipper suggested mint color and that's what we threw until my painter Ron caught a yellow on a Scrambled Egg. I immediately switched over to Scrambled egg and my brother and I each caught a yellow before heading back to make our 6:30 dinner. The next morning we made bait and headed to the same area; the wind was calm but we still had the 5' swell at short intervals. Our first stop just on the other side of the Salt Plant we saw some bait jumping so my first cast had a horrible backlash which took awhile to clear and i was straight up and down when a started reeling and halfway up I got bit and thought it was a bonito but it turned out to be a 5# yellow we released.We were running along and saw some big yellows on bait; I grabbed my rod and put my iron right in the middle of it and was promptly bit on the sink. I set the hook and let the yellow run my backlash out and then kicked my Torium into gear and watched it burn off line easily getting into my spectra so I bumped up my drag and shortly thereafter my 30# topshot broke off about 30 feet from the connection. My brother threw his Iron and got bit on his second cast, I tied on a new scrambled egg and got bit again and we landed both fish between 30-35#. We started out again and found a new baitball and I got hooked up again, but if fell off after a couple of minutes. It was 9AM and I told the skipper we wanted to hit St Augustine, on the west side of the Island where the large kelp beds are before the wind came up. We took off and the wind did build on our way there to 10-12 kts so we got a little wet there and we met another panga with 2 pro bass anglers who told us it was good up there for 4-8# calicos and a they saw yellows; they told us the best plastic colors then headed back to the east side of the island. When we arrived there was a ton of bait next to the kelp and bonito everywhere off the kelp. We started throwing plastics with our bass rods and caught several 3-5# bass; I put on a 7-8" swimbait and hooked a huge calico and got it to color but broke it off on 15# line before I could get it in the boat. My brother was tired of casting so he soaked a mackerel with an in line 3oz torpedo and he got hammered on 50# and couldn't stop the fish and got rocked. He put another bait on and as we slow trolled back up to the kelp he hooked and landed a nice 20-22# yellow, I was flylining and hooked a bone. By 12PM the wind was back up to 15-20 and we couldn't fish there anymore, so back around to the east side of the island pitching swimbaits for the occasional bass around the rocks in 6-10' of water. There were only a couple of yellows caught that day by the other 4 boats. I told my skipper the next morning after getting bait we were going to burn the entire day up at St Augustine and catch a White Sea Bass if it took all day. He agreed but asked if we could spend 1 hour on the way chasing the yellows on baitballs and I agreed. It was a much nicer morning with no wind and a smaller 4' swell @8 seconds. Sure enough we each caught a yellow around 15-20#; mine on iron again and my brother's on bait. We then headed back out west and we arrived at the kelp bed to see boils everywhere and my brother got hooked up again on slow trolled mack with the 3oz torpedo which resulted in a nice 20-25# yellow. I had a dropper loop rig for WSB I would drop when we reached the kelp however all I caught were nice 3-5# Calicos and an occasional bone. My brother caught 3 yellows that way before I switched to the inline torpedo rig and started getting yellows too. My brother got rocked again and couldn't stop the fish, my skipper kept yelling WSB WSB but I've caught alot of them and they don't fight like that. These were BSB and its like hooking onto the back of a truck and you have to get there head up soon in the fight or they rock you. Well my brother got another chance and this time he got a 65# BSB to the boat and we took it, as you are allowed 1 BSB per boat. It was a nice looking fish and although I would have preferred a WSB this would fit the bill. I ended up getting 3 more yellows and my brother caught his 4th; We decided to make 1 more drift around 2PM as we were concerned about the fish we caught getting overheated in the kill bag. We put our cooler ice in the bag and motored up one more time and upon approaching the kelp, I watched my brother get hammered one last time which ended up being another BSB and when my brother couldn't pull anymore he passed the rod to me and I promptly found out he was rocked again so I put it into freespool hoping the fish would swim out but after 2-3 minutes it didn't happen so I buttoned down and broke it off. Back to the Lodge to recuperate.

All our fish was vacuum sealed @ $1/bag which is worth it. Each night you need to talk to the other groups and find out what worked and what didn't; the first couple of days scrambled egg was the ticket and they were not biting on bait until the 3rd and 4th day of our trip.Only a handful of yellows were taken by other boats the first 2 days. Another group which arrived 2 days after us did pretty good on Blue/White iron which I never tried as I assumed everyone else was using them and getting bonito not yellows. This might not be the best time of the year but I would do it again in a heartbeat. The whole experience was well worth the $2200+ dollars I spent including tips, vacuum sealing, baggage fees, etc. I would stay with the Basic Service and pay extra as you go. The only drag on the whole trip was the 2.5 hour wait at the border coming back. PM me if you have any questions and Good Luck!

TOM's NICE 656# BSB.jpg CEDROS 30+ YT.jpg 2 NICE CEDROS YT 7-20-19.jpg

Last edited:

mowitlow

Apr 5, 2010
So Cal
Name
Ron
Boat
21 ft. Mastercraft
GREAT REPORT!
WE DID THE TRIP LAST AUGUST AND LOVED IT TOO!
WE DID THE VIP AND FOR A COUPLE OF HUNDRED MORE WE FLEW OUT OF BROWNS FIELD IN SD AND GOT TO BY PASS THE BORDER FIASCO!
IT WAS A GREAT TRIP!
WE DIDN'T SCORE ANY BSB THO!

Reactions: fishbuck

albacore11

Member Intrepid 200# Club
May 19, 2006
Crowley Lake, CA
Name
Christopher
Boat
Gone but not forgotten
Done that trip three times already. The winds and seas always need to be considered when deciding where to fish. We like fishing Calicos at Putna Norte.

Great write up, and congratulations on the BSB. Our group always manages to land a couple.

45king

Jig slinger/arrow flinger
May 29, 2005
Sd/Oc
Name
danny
Boat
Hall pass
I was told by some old salts that a black seabass under 80lbs is some of the best tasting fish you can ever eat? What did u think?

Reactions: Second Row

Fish Sniper

Jun 13, 2012
San Dimas,Ca. USA
Name
Marco Rojas
Boat
PAJARO
Just got back from a fabulous weekend @ COA and I can't say enough about the operation. The people were so nice and accommodating, food was great, and we never had to handle our gear from our rooms to our panga each day as it was ready when we boarded our craft. I had fished Cedros 3 previous times on the American Angler so I had some idea of the island and spots where we had connected before; I was a little disappointed as I reviewed the sea conditions on Buoyweather.com before we left and it forecasts stated 5' swells @ 5 seconds and 16-20 kt winds with gusts to 30 the first 2 days and the wind would back off slightly the next 2 days; not exactly great conditions in a 26' panga. Cedros is a large island so hopefully we could find a calmer place somewhere to fish each day. I took my 73 year old brother from Arizona and my painter and his son who both fish Mexico a lot. We bought the Basic Package that flies out of Ensenada, we arrived on the Island around 2PM and after a few tasty casa dias we were on the water by 3. As we approached the island by plane I noticed a ton of whitecaps and rather large swells going down both sides of the island from the north, so it seemed the south side of the island would be our destination for that afternoon. The wind had been blowing for a couple of days limiting where boats could go, we were told there was a ton of red crab and finbait everywhere and the yellowtail fishing in particular wasn't very good, the fish were full. They were right as we saw bait everywhere and when we arrived to the south end of the island we saw schools of bonito and the occasional yellow bust through the bait; we would fire our surface irons through it time and time again for the occasional 4-8# bonito, although it was hard to stand up in the 5' swells @ 5 seconds. My skipper suggested mint color and that's what we threw until my painter Ron caught a yellow on a Scrambled Egg. I immediately switched over to Scrambled egg and my brother and I each caught a yellow before heading back to make our 6:30 dinner. The next morning we made bait and headed to the same area; the wind was calm but we still had the 5' swell at short intervals. Our first stop just on the other side of the Salt Plant we saw some bait jumping so my first cast had a horrible backlash which took awhile to clear and i was straight up and down when a started reeling and halfway up I got bit and thought it was a bonito but it turned out to be a 5# yellow we released.We were running along and saw some big yellows on bait; I grabbed my rod and put my iron right in the middle of it and was promptly bit on the sink. I set the hook and let the yellow run my backlash out and then kicked my Torium into gear and watched it burn off line easily getting into my spectra so I bumped up my drag and shortly thereafter my 30# topshot broke off about 30 feet from the connection. My brother threw his Iron and got bit on his second cast, I tied on a new scrambled egg and got bit again and we landed both fish between 30-35#. We started out again and found a new baitball and I got hooked up again, but if fell off after a couple of minutes. It was 9AM and I told the skipper we wanted to hit St Augustine, on the west side of the Island where the large kelp beds are before the wind came up. We took off and the wind did build on our way there to 10-12 kts so we got a little wet there and we met another panga with 2 pro bass anglers who told us it was good up there for 4-8# calicos and a they saw yellows; they told us the best plastic colors then headed back to the east side of the island. When we arrived there was a ton of bait next to the kelp and bonito everywhere off the kelp. We started throwing plastics with our bass rods and caught several 3-5# bass; I put on a 7-8" swimbait and hooked a huge calico and got it to color but broke it off on 15# line before I could get it in the boat. My brother was tired of casting so he soaked a mackerel with an in line 3oz torpedo and he got hammered on 50# and couldn't stop the fish and got rocked. He put another bait on and as we slow trolled back up to the kelp he hooked and landed a nice 20-22# yellow, I was flylining and hooked a bone. By 12PM the wind was back up to 15-20 and we couldn't fish there anymore, so back around to the east side of the island pitching swimbaits for the occasional bass around the rocks in 6-10' of water. There were only a couple of yellows caught that day by the other 4 boats. I told my skipper the next morning after getting bait we were going to burn the entire day up at St Augustine and catch a White Sea Bass if it took all day. He agreed but asked if we could spend 1 hour on the way chasing the yellows on baitballs and I agreed. It was a much nicer morning with no wind and a smaller 4' swell @8 seconds. Sure enough we each caught a yellow around 15-20#; mine on iron again and my brother's on bait. We then headed back out west and we arrived at the kelp bed to see boils everywhere and my brother got hooked up again on slow trolled mack with the 3oz torpedo which resulted in a nice 20-25# yellow. I had a dropper loop rig for WSB I would drop when we reached the kelp however all I caught were nice 3-5# Calicos and an occasional bone. My brother caught 3 yellows that way before I switched to the inline torpedo rig and started getting yellows too. My brother got rocked again and couldn't stop the fish, my skipper kept yelling WSB WSB but I've caught alot of them and they don't fight like that. These were BSB and its like hooking onto the back of a truck and you have to get there head up soon in the fight or they rock you. Well my brother got another chance and this time he got a 65# BSB to the boat and we took it, as you are allowed 1 BSB per boat. It was a nice looking fish and although I would have preferred a WSB this would fit the bill. I ended up getting 3 more yellows and my brother caught his 4th; We decided to make 1 more drift around 2PM as we were concerned about the fish we caught getting overheated in the kill bag. We put our cooler ice in the bag and motored up one more time and upon approaching the kelp, I watched my brother get hammered one last time which ended up being another BSB and when my brother couldn't pull anymore he passed the rod to me and I promptly found out he was rocked again so I put it into freespool hoping the fish would swim out but after 2-3 minutes it didn't happen so I buttoned down and broke it off. Back to the Lodge to recuperate.

All our fish was vacuum sealed @ $1/bag which is worth it. Each night you need to talk to the other groups and find out what worked and what didn't; the first couple of days scrambled egg was the ticket and they were not biting on bait until the 3rd and 4th day of our trip.Only a handful of yellows were taken by other boats the first 2 days. Another group which arrived 2 days after us did pretty good on Blue/White iron which I never tried as I assumed everyone else was using them and getting bonito not yellows. This might not be the best time of the year but I would do it again in a heartbeat. The whole experience was well worth the $2200+ dollars I spent including tips, vacuum sealing, baggage fees, etc. I would stay with the Basic Service and pay extra as you go. The only drag on the whole trip was the 2.5 hour wait at the border coming back. PM me if you have any questions and Good Luck!

View attachment 1050452 View attachment 1050453 View attachment 1050454
Excellent report, and I think you ment (quesadillas) instead of casa dias, anyway I know what you ment.

Good fishing!!!

DOGHOUSE26

Feb 22, 2004
Escondido, CA
Name
jeff meeker
Boat
26 Blackman Billfisher
Excellent report, and I think you ment (quesadillas) instead of casa dias, anyway I know what you ment.

Good fishing!!!
Yep I knew it looked kind of funny when I wrote it, Thanks for the Heads Up!