NukeDawg

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Mar 27, 2008
San Diego, CA
Name
dub-dub-dub
Boat
17' Arima Sea Angler
i'm signed up for a fly-in cedros trip in early july. fishing in a panga. i wanted some ideas for appropriate rod/reel setups.

i currently have:
toro 50 / CSC-70MH
senator 113h / sl2050c66
torium 20 / cfgr-700m
avet sx / tmc-x76h

can i make it work? anything missing that is a must have? appreciate the advice.

WaaTooSee

Life is Short, Play Now!
Feb 17, 2003
San Diego
Visit site
Name
Frank
Boat
WaaTooSee
which trip dude? I am going July 1-6 with cedros outdoors adventures. Same trip?

yellowklr

My Best Catch!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 22, 2003
San Diego,Ca
Name
Derek
Boat
complicated
I spent a week there and 80% of the time I was throwing surface Iron with 40lb. Make sure you have a lot or Iron(surface and yo yo) and a good 40 and 50lb stick......Nothing fancy keep it simple

NukeDawg

Mar 27, 2008
San Diego, CA
Name
dub-dub-dub
Boat
17' Arima Sea Angler
i think the trip after, 7/8-7/11 with cedros outdoors adventures. i'm stoked.

seems i can need to find a surface iron setup.

NukeDawg

Mar 27, 2008
San Diego, CA
Name
dub-dub-dub
Boat
17' Arima Sea Angler
anyone throw iron with a torium 20?

Suggestions for 8' stick?

screaming_spool

Apr 26, 2005
Cedros
Name
fisherman
Boat
What
Hit me up. I help Jose. I have been doing 2-4 trips a summer the past 5 years. Look at the recommended gear page on cedrosoutdooradventures.com
a 8ft jigstsick and torium will be good. fish straight 40lb . a graftech is a good option.

screaming_spool

Apr 26, 2005
Cedros
Name
fisherman
Boat
What
a 6480 seeker is a good stick
or a 800m calstar
or a rclb 80m rainshadow
lots of options. a 7-8ft stick is good. remember you are run and gun fishing on a panga- you will be dropping jigs on there heads. dont worry about super long cast.

ezsmith

Aug 8, 2008
FULLERTON, CA.
Name
Zac Smith
Boat
need one
I used a torium 30 it is one of the best reel for throwing the iron because its size and speed this allows you to really crank in the yo yo and catch the yellows you will be fine just take like 12 or more salsa 6x blue and white bird shit and python also some surface irons of preferance

lkatdpelicanfly

Lizard Fish Slayer
Jun 23, 2009
sou cal
Name
Frank
Boat
Kayak
I've thrown iron with a torium 20 on a 700h...mostly 6x jrs and ironman 5's at cedros...works great for yo-yo yellows. I was using 65lb. power pro with 40lb. topshot. Also used the same setup at alijos for wahoo and worked great. With a 700m, it might be good for lighter surface iron. You can probally get away with the 700m as you may not want an 8 ft rod in a panga. I had good luck fishing a 113 on a 700m as a bait outfit, but that was again at Alijos where you needed a little extra line capacity for the long soak...again using 40 lb. I'd also definately get a heavy outfit to fish 60-80 for dropper loop like another 4/0 or 6/0 sized reel (2 speed if possible) to troll or use for dropper loop...5'5" or 6' heavy rod at least rated 30-80 if not a little heavier as you never know if the heavier fish will be there. Just my .02, I've only fished Cedros off of a long range boats though, but have fished pangas down around the midriff. Sounds like a fun trip, I'll have to look into one of those.

NukeDawg

Mar 27, 2008
San Diego, CA
Name
dub-dub-dub
Boat
17' Arima Sea Angler
thanks for the suggestions i'll check them out.

over the course of a 3 day fishing trip, does one typically get to try for yellows/calicos/bottom dwellers or does it really depend?

i've got a senator 113h for the dropper loop setup and a torium20 on a 700m for yo-yo. should i bother to get a 8' stick for chucking iron?

what about the sx and toro, should i bother?

a 6480 seeker is a good stick
or a 800m calstar
or a rclb 80m rainshadow
lots of options. a 7-8ft stick is good. remember you are run and gun fishing on a panga- you will be dropping jigs on there heads. dont worry about super long cast.

screaming_spool

Apr 26, 2005
Cedros
Name
fisherman
Boat
What
your 4/0 and torium will work good. I would also bring the toro set up to fish calicos. just remember in the kelp there are big yellows and some white sea bass. In a normal friday-monday trip you get a good 2 full days of hard yellow fishing and 1/2 day of calico. or how ever you want to spend it. Basically bring your set ups ready to fish surface,yo-yo and plastics. Good luck. You will have a blast. Any questions dont hesitate to ask [email protected]

screaming_spool

Apr 26, 2005
Cedros
Name
fisherman
Boat
What
Local island source tells me large schools of yellows crashing just south of town smaller school sized 12-20lb. Larger fish still north of town. Pangeros that have fished north of town have been doing good on bait and jigs. Larger fish 25lb plus. Get ready. it looks like a good year!

[email protected]