Cedros Adventures Report Aug 5-8

Discussion in 'Baja Mexico Fishing Reports and Discussion' started by scfishguts, Aug 9, 2011.

1. scfishguts

scfishguts Newbie

Name:
    Mark
    Boat:
    none
    6 of us just got back from a 4 day trip with Cedros Adventures. This was the third trip I've done with them and the second this summer. I can't say enough good things about Cedros Adventures and I would highly recommend them to anyone going to the island. I have not been with Outdoor Adventures and I know people say good things about them on this site for good reasons I'm sure. For fishing, you can't go wrong with either outfitter at Cedros. There are just too many fish to not catch a lot. I think Cedros Adventures definitely has an advantage with their accommadations. The new hotel is right on the water and is spectacular. The service from the ground crew and quality of the pangeros is outstanding. Javier, my favorite pangero, has won the last Cedros tournament and the last Eugenia tournament. Really good about getting in tight for the bass too. The food was excellent. The ground crew made sure we never had to carry any of our own bags or gear on the island and we were transported in a suburban to and from the dock with our gear going in trucks with verticle rod holders. The refrigeradors in the rooms were stocked with beer, soda, water, milk, cereal, snacks, and sandwich making supplies (not that we needed it). Dinners were always awesome. Although in June we were treated to all you can eat lobster one night, this trip we had to make due with carne asada, yellowtail, and rib eyes. At the end of this report, I'll add some pictures of the hotel to see

Now for the Fish Report:

Day 1: We arrived on the island in the afternoon and were fishing by about 4:30. We had two pangas with three people on each boat. 10 minutes from the harbor, we made bait in record time and dropped a few back in the water with hooks in them. Instant hook ups and everyone got 2-3 yellowtail before we went in as the sun was setting. All of the fish were between 35-45lbs. Not bad for a warm up.

Day 2: We got an early start and it was non stop on the big yellows until lunchtime. Mostly released. After our arms and backs took a beating, we went in to the hotel for a quick lunch they prepared at the hotel with fresh cevich and burritos. Afterwards, we went back out and fished the calicos and halibut before finishing the day wrestling the big yellows again. Calicos and halibut on swim bait are a blast down there, but it's pretty hard to pass up giant yellowtail. Especially on a 4 day trip.

Day 3: We decided to fish yellowtail all day without returning to the hotel for lunch. I know another group down there recently were happy to catch 8 fish by 9AM and call it a day on the yellows. Our group couldn't pass up the chance to put the wood to them. By the end of the day, the 3 guys on my panga had caught 37 yellowtail between 30-52lbs. Most were in the high 30s or low 40s. The other 3 people in our group had a similar day. No mid day lull this time. They bit all day.

Day 4: Since our plane didn't leave until noon, we had breakfast and the boys walked down the path to the beach at our hotel and we surf fished. We caught 2 halibut and assorted bass and rays using plastics. Our one lady angler took advantage of the masseuse on call and got a in-room massage.

On my past trips, the yellows were all about the yo yo and surface iron. This time, they definitely preferred the live mackerel fished with a 1/2 to 3/4 ounce slider. Tons of mackeral around and we fished for bait and yellowtail with out having to move the boat much. Also, the area is infested with thresher sharks. Wish I knew! I could have brought some shark gear and tried to land one. We hooked 5 or 6 a day but couldn't get them to the boat. I was using short 50 and 60lb fluoro top shots but some of us used straight mono.

Can't wait for the next trip!

Attached Files:

2. Jesstuna

Jesstuna Newbie

Name:
    Jess
    Boat:
    18' Hydra sport CC
    Killer report, those are some monster moss backs!

3. CHUBACA6

CHUBACA6 Member

Name:
    Oscar
    Boat:
    none yet
    Them are some nice Jurels ! What is the cost for a trip like that and is it all inclusive?

4. scfishguts

scfishguts Newbie

Name:
    Mark
    Boat:
    none
    Yes. Everything is included from the time you leave your house until you get back. If your gear is way overweight, the airline charges a small fee (like 10 bucks or something). The price was $1400 and each person ended up tipping about $150 total to drivers, pangeros, ground crew, cleaning lady, fish cleaners, etc.

5. Phat Boat

Phat Boat I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Jon
    Boat:
    Grady White Marlin 300
    Thats trip looks awesome. Congrats.

6. mc08066

mc08066 Newbie

Name:
    Jimmy Greene
    Boat:
    kayak
    Man those are some really nice looking yellowtails. And to catch that many
    talk about a great trip. Thanks for sharing.

7. rusty_038

rusty_038 Tackle Guy

Name:
    Alex Masumoto
    Boat:
    N/A
    Outstanding catch and report! Jason looks a little happy with his yellow! The hotel is looking great.

Good fishing,
    rusty_038

The Rail is my friend.

8. DawnPatrol

DawnPatrol Cora's & Hollis' GrandPa

Name:
    Alan
    Boat:
    2520 Parker SL 250 Yammie
  9. BornFisher

BornFisher Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Bill Fisher
    Boat:
    18' Bayliner Trophy, cuddy
    Whoa......yellows in the harbor!! Can`t beat that.
    Hotel looks beautiful enough to spend 6 months there! Thanks for the report!!

10. hyroller

hyroller Newbie

Name:
    Don
    Boat:
    25, Defiance
    Excellent report, no problem with the over weight fees. What about quantity of fish to come back with? No problems being hassled about coming back with more than a days limit but still less than 4 days fishing?

11. scfishguts

scfishguts Newbie

Name:
    Mark
    Boat:
    none
    >Excellent report, no problem with the over weight fees. What about quantity of fish to come back with? No problems being hassled about coming back with more than a days limit but still less than 4 days fishing?<

We brought home about 200lbs of fish for 6 people. Many of the fish were released and quite a few were given to the pangeros at their request. We paid about $15 per person in overweight fees. Also, Cedros Adventures got us a receipt from the customs/immigration official on Cedros that showed the weight of the fish, the type of fish, and that it was sportcaught. The slip was signed by the official.