🐟
  • Oct 17, 2020
    Moreno Valley, CA
    Name
    Piizzii
    Boat Name
    No
    Cedros Adventure / September 1st-6th

Day 0, Thursday travel time, We made the drive down through Baja thru, San Felipe and Viscaino, stopping for the night in punta eugenia for a total 12 hour drive.

We grilled meat and went to sleep to wake up in the morning to cross for Cedros. By 8am we were checked in on the island, tackle unloaded and back on a panga for fishing.

We fished the first day for yellowtail and had our rods bent by 10am on a wide open surface iron bite.
    I landed 5 yellowtail with 4 on surface irons and one on a knife jig. 15 lb class, led to limits quickly.

We got docked back to shore about 3pm where we got settled in and the workers unloaded our tackle, and cleaned and processed our fish for freezing.

When night came, we fired up the bbq and grilled the meat we brought down and drank some beers and listened to music before calling it.

Day 2 Saturday was a small local hurricane so the wind kept us off the water. We explored the small town for a little and got breakfast and groceries before hanging out all day and bbq again.

Day 3 was our second day of fishing, we didn’t have to go far before finding the birds and the school of yellowtail that wanted to play. We quickly caught 8 fish and decided to head to the rock piles for grouper and calico, we caught large calicos on the bait casters and a sheepshead on the yo-yo.
    Ended the day off searching for more yellows and trolling rapalas and cedar plugs which both got hit by yellows.

We Called it and went back to the rooms to shower and bbq dinner

The next day would be our last day of fishing and we repeated the process and headed towards the south tip of the island, wind and a light rain turned us around and went back to look for yellows. Started off bottom fishing a rock pile where we landed WSB, sheepshead, and calicos.

We then searched for yellows in the open water and decided to throw surface irons, I casted my reaper 9e with a dorado colored tady 45 surface iron and with my second cast i hooked up on a bruiser, 34 lb yellowtail
    Very memorable catch and my record yellow.

We Slow trolled for 1 more and ended off the day fishing near shore for calico and halibut enjoying the scenery.

Woke up the last day crossed back by boat and made the drive home stopping in viscaino and San Felipe for gas.

Tips:
    -We stayed at isla de cedros sportfishing where a retired police chief from San quintin runs the operation. Rooms had AC and the crew helped out tremendously.

-quality of fish processing is top notch

-4 rods are ideal, 2 long surface iron rods, one calico bass rod and one for trolling and live bait.

-red and yellow lures seemed to be liked

-long drive so leave early but doable in one day

-remember to tip well

Thank you Franco morales for helping out this all together

EC40588A-FC77-41AC-8084-286D58889B70.jpeg
    623BF594-ABCB-41C4-8583-0CC8A8DC3DEB.jpeg
    1B726397-78EF-4015-AF2B-F6093EE6605D.jpeg
    6BDA06E5-4F40-40CD-B56E-A2E3AF26F71F.jpeg
    6592DD34-8603-45AE-AE11-0A449C70498B.jpeg
    F37F4C36-F9A3-4DCC-B052-C1AEEFFF13F9.jpeg
    F1B410B2-BC60-44DB-8D0D-7AABE29CBB5A.jpeg
    2E4A7163-6268-4336-B453-6739C991A8A6.jpeg

B62A33DE-5D33-46FD-81D2-9A0D6304E83D.jpeg

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

stairman

May 16, 2009
    ramona /ca/usa
    Name
    doug
    Boat Name
    yak and lowe duck hunting skiff but they identify as sportfishing crusiers
    Anyone heading down there now better rethink it . Some parts of the Bahia Tortuga area could get a foot of rain and 80 mph wind

Upvote 0

Piizzii

🐟
  • Oct 17, 2020
    Moreno Valley, CA
    Name
    Piizzii
    Boat Name
    No
    Excellent report. First one I've heard driving down. Any pics of the WSB?
    Unfortunately not, our captain called it a corvina and we were not sure of the legality of it, we didn’t realize til later that it was actually a White Sea bass. It was about a 14 lb WSB

Drive wasn’t too bad and made it in a day, roughed it out and made the long trek though San Felipe. Well worth it and made it easier to bring all the rods and gear we wanted too.

Upvote 0

Mike M

• Feb 2, 2007
    Rancho Palos Verdes
    Name
    Mike
    Boat Name
    Very nice report. Did you charter a boat to cross, or did the isla de cedros guys meet you, or something else? We crossed from cedros to tortugas one time, but that wasn't planned (airport issues).

Upvote 0

Piizzii

🐟
  • Oct 17, 2020
    Moreno Valley, CA
    Name
    Piizzii
    Boat Name
    No
    Very nice report. Did you charter a boat to cross, or did the isla de cedros guys meet you, or something else? We crossed from cedros to tortugas one time, but that wasn't planned (airport issues).
    The guys met us, the co op doesn’t really allow other boats to take you across, isla de cedros has a boat dedicated as a taxi that they cross with.

Reactions: Mike M
    Upvote 0