Jul 18, 2006
Tehachapi, CA
www.landofmayo.com
Name
Mark
Boat
Vagabond & Royal Star
do you make them out cedar,{lol}.
I guess oddly, yes I have some of my plugs made using red cedar. Cedar is very soft for a hardwood and breaks easier than other hardwoods I use. Purpleheart and bloodwood are my favorites when trolling.

Reactions: jer dog

mmayo

Barking Spider
Jul 18, 2006
Tehachapi, CA
www.landofmayo.com
Name
Mark
Boat
Vagabond & Royal Star
how about gaboon ebony ? I et the action would be good.
I won’t go there but I have one stick of Gabon ebony in stock. It is somewhat brittle to me. I made an absolutely beautiful high end pen for an executive friend. He dropped it and the body cracked. I am not a fan of the wood.

MATTANZA

old man of the sea, in training.
Aug 23, 2004
Cali the state of confusion, the state of shock
Name
RICK
Boat
Boston Whaler 25' Outrage "MATTANZA II", 34' Radovcich "AMY ANNE" {when it needs to be fixed}
I won’t go there but I have one stick of Gabon ebony in stock. It is somewhat brittle to me. I made an absolutely beautiful high end pen for an executive friend. He dropped it and the body cracked. I am not a fan of the wood.
damn , I'm glad I heard this! I was going to have my cuz make me a pool cue case out of gaboon. he rolled his eyes ,
{in Italian} when I asked him. I've been pricing the lumber... very expensive. what's the bext wood for a cue case, {sorry to go off the lure subject}

mmayo

Barking Spider
Jul 18, 2006
Tehachapi, CA
www.landofmayo.com
Name
Mark
Boat
Vagabond & Royal Star
Yes.

On my last 8 day on the Royal Star a 40# bluefin was caught on a cedar plug, not my plug but they catch fish.

2BE6DA5C-4FC4-4DD2-A476-38DB6F79A48B.jpeg

mmayo

Barking Spider
Jul 18, 2006
Tehachapi, CA
www.landofmayo.com
Name
Mark
Boat
Vagabond & Royal Star
Just returned from the Barking Spider 8 day on the Star. For the first time in years we trolled! The cedar plugs (mine) caught both schoolie bluefin and yellowfin very well. Very nice to be asked to donate plugs to the boat and to a deckhand’s private skiff.

Sorry about the photo quality, fishing comes first.

661E6F1B-74D9-43C9-B27F-182222B22AD9.jpeg

DB56FF74-99A6-445F-8EA5-EC5AB928346F.jpeg

mmayo

Barking Spider
Jul 18, 2006
Tehachapi, CA
www.landofmayo.com
Name
Mark
Boat
Vagabond & Royal Star
From a recent customer

“Hi Mark, Yesterday I had the pleasure of opening my mail and WOW I was amazed how wonderful your Cedars Plugs appear in person....photos do not do justice to the wworkmanship and quality that goes into your product....a BIG THANK YOU ....a true fan of yours, Ron”

Reactions: jer dog

AKSalmon

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jul 15, 2006
Juneau, Alaska
Name
Bill Brown
Boat
Sold my Parker. You can find me on the Red Rooster.
I just received two of Mark Mayo's cedar plugs. They are beautiful, but I have a problem: I bought them as a gift for a friend, but I'm not sure I can give them away. Maybe if I make him give me some bluefin from his next trip? Or maybe not. Mark does beautiful work.