Brqndqn

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Oct 24, 2017
garden grove
Name
Brandon
Boat
'76 Mark twain
Hi Bloodydecks. I’m in search of a 17’ center console fiberglass boat with a nice 4 stroke motor or an ETEC. Something with a good trailer and boat must be ready to go or little cleaning. I’d prefer some sort of hull storage. This is mainly what I am looking for but will consider things close. My price range would mostly be under 10k but will pay the right price for the right boat to my capabilities. Thank you for your time

Trolling motor would be nice but that’s just icing on the cake

ShadBurke

Oct 28, 2005
Carlsbad
Name
Shad Burke
Boat
22' Boston Whaler Guardians

Last edited:

Stulege

Well-Known "Member"
Nov 3, 2018
Sequim,Wa
Name
Stu Sherman
Boat
Parker 18
17’ Whaler Montauck, 90 Yamaha 2 stroke oil injected. New, galv. trailer. Garmin FF/GPS, bait tank, etc, currently in the Baja catching Yellowtail! $10k obro

Brqndqn

Oct 24, 2017
garden grove
Name
Brandon
Boat
'76 Mark twain
17’ Whaler Montauck, 90 Yamaha 2 stroke oil injected. New, galv. trailer. Garmin FF/GPS, bait tank, etc, currently in the Baja catching Yellowtail! $10k obro
I’m looking for a four stroke. Thank you

Reactions: ShadBurke

Killin Time

Aug 18, 2007
San Diego
Name
JT
Boat
Grady-White/ Killin Time
Easier to deal with. No oil mixing. And generally holds higher value
Fair enough. I get it, but don't think they are a bad as people think, unless your making longer runs.

I would think anything over 40 hp would be oil injection no mixing.
If it holds a higher value, you paid more up front.
Yes they do get much better mileage and 2 strokes smoke when cold, but a small CC would seem to be a very local boat not burning much fuel (on a boat that is doing long runs, 4 stroke or DFI only, with 4 stroke preferred.). Yes oil is an added expense, but again your not going that far in a small boat and you have no motor oil changes.
4 strokes are way more quite at idle, but they all make a lot of DBs when they are running higher RPMs.

2 strokes run forever , are easy to work on, have less moving parts (DFI is another story, but they don't smoke and burn 100% of their fuel), don;t require oil changes, weigh less, create power every time the piston moves up and down, a well tuned 2 stroke only smokes some when cold and can get you more boat for less cash.

4 stroke preferred, yes / passing up a killer deal on a boat with a 2 stroke, no.

Good luck with the hunt, I hope you find a great deal on a great ride!

Brqndqn

Oct 24, 2017
garden grove
Name
Brandon
Boat
'76 Mark twain
Fair enough. I get it, but don't think they are a bad as people think, unless your making longer runs.

I would think anything over 40 hp would be oil injection no mixing.
If it holds a higher value, you paid more up front.
Yes they do get much better mileage and 2 strokes smoke when cold, but a small CC would seem to be a very local boat not burning much fuel (on a boat that is doing long runs, 4 stroke or DFI only, with 4 stroke preferred.). Yes oil is an added expense, but again your not going that far in a small boat and you have no motor oil changes.
4 strokes are way more quite at idle, but they all make a lot of DBs when they are running higher RPMs.

2 strokes run forever , are easy to work on, have less moving parts (DFI is another story, but they don't smoke and burn 100% of their fuel), don;t require oil changes, weigh less, create power every time the piston moves up and down, a well tuned 2 stroke only smokes some when cold and can get you more boat for less cash.

4 stroke preferred, yes / passing up a killer deal on a boat with a 2 stroke, no.

Good luck with the hunt, I hope you find a great deal on a great ride!
Great advise! Thank you! Helps a lot

mbhalihunter

Jan 31, 2005
San Diego
Name
Paul
Boat
17' Cape Horn offshore
Motor is a two stroke and the boat is too big for me. I’m looking for 17’ because I’m 16 and usually I’m fishing alone. Smaller means less gas money I have to pay. I don’t have much money to keep paying for gas. And 19’ is way too big for just me
in 3.5 years you will be 20 and by the time you have whatever boat you are going to buy actually dialed in you will be 17. those 2' extra will get you on rougher days and it has higher sides which is good for you if you plan on fishing solo. T-top's are good because you can store light stuff up top, a big anchor locker and bow can store more things like a kill bag or cooler.

A lot of people are trying to help you, be open minded and literally just go look at boats. I looked at 40-50 before I bought mine. My wife went insane and got sick of me looking at boats. And keep reading and learning.

when you look at a boat, you have to pick it apart, because pictures and the story online won't tell you all the issues. You will see so many disappointments. bring a mallet and tap the deck for soft spots. look at every inch of the trailer. Is the transom cracked? do all the lights work, is the wiring a rats nest or semi-organized, are the cables twisted together, crimped, soldered? How smooth does the engine turn and shift? Always check the the death bolts (don't know what it is, look it up)? How accessible are the pumps and valves in the bilge?

Reactions: Brqndqn

Brqndqn

Oct 24, 2017
garden grove
Name
Brandon
Boat
'76 Mark twain
in 3.5 years you will be 20 and by the time you have whatever boat you are going to buy actually dialed in you will be 17. those 2' extra will get you on rougher days and it has higher sides which is good for you if you plan on fishing solo. T-top's are good because you can store light stuff up top, a big anchor locker and bow can store more things like a kill bag or cooler.

A lot of people are trying to help you, be open minded and literally just go look at boats. I looked at 40-50 before I bought mine. My wife went insane and got sick of me looking at boats. And keep reading and learning.

when you look at a boat, you have to pick it apart, because pictures and the story online won't tell you all the issues. You will see so many disappointments. bring a mallet and tap the deck for soft spots. look at every inch of the trailer. Is the transom cracked? do all the lights work, is the wiring a rats nest or semi-organized, are the cables twisted together, crimped, soldered? How smooth does the engine turn and shift? Always check the the death bolts (don't know what it is, look it up)? How accessible are the pumps and valves in the bilge?
Great info! Thank you! I appreciate all the help and I’m keeping an open mind but i don’t have consistent work so I can’t afford any regrets on my first boat. But I will Forsure do whatever you listed above. Thank you

Brqndqn

Oct 24, 2017
garden grove
Name
Brandon
Boat
'76 Mark twain
Reactions: LarsTheViking