CBX Border Bridge, Aero Calafia review and Loreto fish report 4/8.

Discussion in 'Baja Mexico Fishing Reports and Discussion' started by fv1500, Apr 13, 2016.

1. fv1500

fv1500 Fishn' Frank

Name:
    Frank
    Boat:
    n/a
    Prior to this trip I researched the Internet for reviews and first hand experiences for people who have used the CBX bridge crossing to fly out of the Tijuana airport, I struggled to find much in the way of information. I'm going to try and detail my personal experience to hopefully assist those who are considering doing the same, so pardon my rambling...

We wanted to fly our family of 5 to Loreto for spring break. We have flown Alaska from LAX to Loreto in the past but after price comparison of the LAX Alaska flight. ($3,500) vs. the Aero Calafia flight ($1,200) from TJ to Loreto, we decided to fly out of Tijuana and saved over $2K. My wife and I were a little apprehensive about the border crossing and flying from TJ with our 5, 6 and 8 year old kids in tow. We decided it was worth the savings and giving it a try.

The CBX bridge is a privately funded facility that ONLY allows ticketed passengers flying to and from Tijuana airport to cross the Mexico USA border via a pedestrian walkway. Passengers holding a boarding pass that are flying out of TJ are allowed to cross the bridge within 24 hours of travel and must return to the USA within 5 hours of landing. So you won't have to deal with throngs of people trying to cross the boarder.

https://www.crossborderxpress.com/node/1

The day of our departure we had a friend drop us off at the CBX terminal in Otay Mesa. Upon arrival at the terminal parking lot we were greeted by very friendly parking lot attendant and we were directed where to purchase our bridge crossing pass. The spacious terminal was spotless, they possibly had the cleanest bathrooms I have ever seen. There is only a small snack shop that serves coffee drinks and snacks. There are plenty of food options at the TJ airport if you are hungry. There was no wait to get our border crossing ticket which was $40 for our family (it's good for up to a family of 6). $20 for an individual. After purchasing our ticket we made our way over to the crossing check in. The attendant scanned our boarding pass and our ticket. We then proceeded to an over sized freight elevator to get to the upper level of the walk way, with five roller bags and a rod tube the escalator was not an option. There are also free baggage carts to assist you. The secure bridge was equivalent to a 5 min walk in an airport connection walkway. Once reaching the Mexico side we were greeted by a very helpful and friendly Mexican immigration agent who helped us fill out or FMM travel visa. After clearing immigration we headed over to customs pushed the green button and got the green light. There was no waiting at either for immigration or customs.

I can't comment about the parking situation but from what I heard from a few people who I spoke to in the trip they had no complaints.

The TJ airport was also clean and there were signs in both Spanish and English. There are food courts both inside the terminal and inside the gate area. The Aero Calafia ticket/baggage check in was easy too. I was concerned about the length of the rod tube but that was not an issue either flying to or from Loreto. Aero Calafia's website states that there is a 250cm length and width sporting goods baggage max allowance. My rod tube had a combined 251cm L x W and was never looked at twice by the ticket counter personnel. The other benefit of flying domestically in Mex is that once you have cleared customs in Mex all you will have to do is get your bags and be on your way when reaching your destination. Now that Air Alaska is flying 737's into Loreto this is a big bonus.

The return trip back to the states via the CBX was a repeat of our experience heading into Mexico. No waiting at either US Immigration or Customs. I would guess that the entire crossing process took no more 15-20 minutes each way. That includes purchasing your ticket, walking and clearing customs and immigration.

The one word of advice is that once you have retrieved your bags from the TJ baggage claim DO NOT LEAVE THE BAGGAGE CLAIM AREA. If you do you will have to take a taxi to the TJ border crossing which could take hours. Simply proceed to the clearly signed CBX ticket booth then agents will direct you to the entrance to the bridge crossing.

As for the fishing I was scheduled to fish on Thur. but the winds kicked up and we had to rescheduled for Fri. Arrived at the marina by 6:15. I had purchased my one day Mexican fishing license on line @ http://www.bajasursportfishing.com for the 7th. (Purchasing your fishing license online was easy too.) So I had to purchase another one day license. I should have just paid a few more bucks and bought a license for the week. We loaded our gear, purchased about 25 Goggle eyes and headed out. After hearing that fishing was good we had high hopes. Some boats had up to 14 fish for two guys days prior. We went to the back side of Isle Carmen tried several spots but the Trigger fish were relentless on our baits. We made 5 moves before we got into a few fish. We boated a 25b YT and a few small Cabrilla just off the bottom with dropper loops. I hooked up on a fish on 50# with dropper loop for 25 minutes before breaking it off. So bummed. I had the fish with in 30' of the boat but couldn't ever get it to color. The water was about 71 and off color. We were guessing it was probably a Amberjack, shark or Ray. The line had a clean break and the line wasn't frayed. Your guess of what it was is as good as mine. Low on bait we made one more move and boated a other 25b YT on one of our last baits. So I committed to fishing the flat fall and was rewarded with a 10lb Cabrilla. We ended up with 2 YT, 4 Cabrillo, 1, Trumpet fish, 1 Trigger, that was all for the day over all not to bad. The wind was blowing around 10mph so the seas were a little choppy.

I brought my 7' Clarus/ Curado combo for shore fishing and caught about 6 cookie cutter school sized Rooster fish on silver red Crocodiles and Seabass color Lucky Craft from the shore. My 8 year old was having a blast using her Lady fish Zebco push button rod reel combo catching Puffer fish, Roosters and rock bass around the rocks.

Weather was in the mid 80's. We stayed in a Nopolo VRBO. we spent some time in the town of Loreto and spent a day at Villa del Palmar taking advantage of the $69 all you can eat and drink deal they have. The pass includes use of their pool and all you can eat and drink. This is a very nice resort.
    http://www.villadelpalmarloreto.com

We had a great trip. If you are considering flying to Baja of even the west coast of main land Mexico you should really consider using the CBX and fly from TJ. I would do it again in a hear beat! Aero Calafia, Aero Mexico and Volaris all fly from there so you have many destination options.

Moderators I am in no way affiliated with the CBX but I had such a positive experience I was thinking If you are looking for advertising revenue and you haven't already done so, I would contact the CBX to advertise on your site.

Fell free to pm me with any questions or reply to this thread and I'll be happy to try and answer your questions.

Tight lines.

Bienvenidos!

IMG_0829.JPG IMG_0844.JPG IMG_0847.JPG IMG_0851.JPG IMG_0853.JPG IMG_0858.JPG IMG_0868.JPG FullSizeRender 2.jpg FullSizeRender.jpg IMG_0783.JPG IMG_0785.JPG IMG_0787.JPG IMG_0801.JPG IMG_0806.JPG IMG_0865.JPG IMG_0878.JPG IMG_0879.JPG IMG_0894.JPG

Last edited: Apr 18, 2016
  2. Willdoggy

Willdoggy Willing Member

Name:
    IG = WetWillyBiz
    Boat:
    Purr-Sea-Stance: Boston Whaler Montauk 170
    Well done! Everyone to a rolly bag and a rolly bag for everyone!

fv1500 likes this.
  3. pascuale

pascuale I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Ethan
    Boat:
    nope
    Excellent report. Very happy to see a succesful trip down south. Loreto is such a cool little town with the mission and malecon along the water. Thank you for the specifics.

fv1500 likes this.
  4. yellowklr

yellowklr My Best Catch!!!!!!!!!!!!

Name:
    Derek
    Boat:
    complicated
    Nice report!! Did you do most of your shore fishing buy your VRBO?
    I need to get to Loreto its been too long

fv1500 likes this.
  5. michelle

michelle - Admin

Name:
    michelle
    Boat:
    submarine
    I was wondering what that crossing is like. I might just book out of TJ next time. Thanks for the report.

fv1500 likes this.
  6. gved823

gved823 Member

Name:
    Gary
    Boat:
    Sold
    Great report. Thanks for the info. Another place on my list now.

fv1500 likes this.
  7. fv1500

fv1500 Fishn' Frank

Name:
    Frank
    Boat:
    n/a
    I did fish mostly along the shore directly in front of our VRBO and in front of the Loreto Bay in. The point along the rocks was productive for rock bass. Saw a 15b Cabrilla jump right off the rocks and tried trowing jigs, waxwings etc , it wanted nothing to do with me. I also fished the estuary with no luck there. I also fished the bay inferno of Villa del Palmar both from the beach and kayak but no lover there.
    The most productive area was on the beach. At low tide you had to wade out far enough to cast to the fish. Be careful that area is loaded with stingrays.

8. twotrack

twotrack habitual scopolamine abuser

Name:
    Scott
    Boat:
    Sin Barco
    That was comprehensive, organized, and used proper grammar and spelling.
    You clearly don't belong here. :D

Thanks for the detailed CBX breakdown; very helpful as I'll be using the bridge next week.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2016
    fv1500 likes this.
  9. marcortez

marcortez No soy yo

Name:
    dale
    Boat:
    Gregor
    Thanks for your great report.
    Loreto loves tourists.

dunfishin and fv1500 like this.
  10. apple harbor

apple harbor PINCHE GUERO

Name:
    anthony motshagen
    Boat:
    26skipjack liki tiki
    Parking fees Otay terminal?,daily, weekly ? How do they base their fees?

11. mezr 2ice

mezr 2ice Member

Name:
    Adam
    Boat:
    26 Twin Vee Express
    Great informative report. I have been fishing Baja for years and never caught a roosterfish. Your 8 year old outfishes me with a zebco. Obviously I am using the wrong gear!

fv1500 likes this.
  12. fv1500

fv1500 Fishn' Frank

Name:
    Frank
    Boat:
    n/a
    The people in Loreto really have pride in their town and are very friendly.

13. fv1500

fv1500 Fishn' Frank

Name:
    Frank
    Boat:
    n/a
    Find a sandy beach, shiny lure, and a med to fast retrieve.

14. fv1500

fv1500 Fishn' Frank

Name:
    Frank
    Boat:
    n/a
    The parking lot is directly in front of the terminal. I believe the parking was $16/day. Not sure if they have long term parking.

15. fv1500

fv1500 Fishn' Frank

Name:
    Frank
    Boat:
    n/a
    Ha! Have a good trip. Where are you headed?

16. twotrack

Name:
    Scott
    Boat:
    Sin Barco
    La Paz...going to mess around out at Cerralvo for a few days, chase early gallos as available.

One thing not on the CBX FAQ: can you cross the bridge early, go grab a meal offsite, then return to the airport for your flight? I know that northbound you have to grab your luggage and cross back immediately...

fv1500 likes this.
  17. dunfishin

dunfishin Member

Name:
    dennis fishman
    Boat:
    12 valco aluminum
    Thank you for such a informative post. My parents have used that Crossing and Airport and had only good things to say about it.

fv1500 likes this.
  18. fv1500

fv1500 Fishn' Frank

Name:
    Frank
    Boat:
    n/a
    I don't see why not. The bridge drops you off in the terminal our side of the secure are of the gates. You could check your bags, go grab a bite of site then head back to the airport for your flight. There is a food court in the airport and a new restaurant called Wings that was going to have sit down service with a bar. You can cross the bridge up to 72 hours before you flight so you could make time to brag a bite.

Have a good time in La Paz.

BTW the Aero Calafia flights I was on stopped in Loreto then was headed to La Paz.

19. twotrack

Name:
    Scott
    Boat:
    Sin Barco
    Thanks Frank. There's a birria de chivo joint (goat stew) in Otay I have to hit whenever I'm near, and didn't want to be denied. ¡Andale!

fv1500 likes this.
  20. Bill Erhardt

Bill Erhardt Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Bill Erhardt
    Boat:
    Bluewater 23T "Soledad"
    "We went to the back side of Catalina tried several spots but the Trigger fish were relentless on our baits. We made 5 moves before we got into a few fish."

Great report! Did you really run out to Catalana in a panga or were you perchance fishing around Carmen or Coronado?

My daughter came down last month from Florida via San Diego, the new walking bridge to the TJ airport, and Aereo Calafia. She also raved about the convenience and savings compared to flying into LAX and on down on Air Alaska

fv1500 likes this.