Cayman 124F fishing kayak (anyone have one?)

ButchA

Mar 27, 2020
Richmond, VA
Name
Butch Ammon
Boat
Cayman 124F kayak
Greetings... I am a newbie to this forum and have already posted on the Vintage section, as all my fishing gear is mostly vintage stuff from the 60's & 70's and/or 100% "old school".

Anyway, I have a Cayman 124F SOT fishing kayak, that was given to me my bro-in-law. It's awesome, stable, and tracks dead on straight. I use it to drift around and fish out of, or sometimes, I'll put one of my old Garcia rods in the rod holder, paddle along and go trolling.

What do you all think of these fishing kayaks?

Saba Slayer

Saba Slayer
Oct 19, 2004
Palos Verdes
Name
Jim Salazar
Boat
18' Welcraft CC, Hobie PA 14 and Hobie Outback
Simple as they come...
The best part is...it's paid for...
If it stays upright and tracks straight and makes you happy...that's all that matters...!

Some of us tend to go overboard on comfort and Stuff...LOL
IMG_6142.jpeg

Reactions: ButchA

ButchA

Mar 27, 2020
Richmond, VA
Name
Butch Ammon
Boat
Cayman 124F kayak
Thanks! You are right... It was FREE! 8-)

The only thing I want to change/upgrade is the paddle. I don't know the measurement, but my bro-in-law is like 5'8" or 5'9" and I'm 6'0". It just feels like the paddle is too short for me, if that makes sense.

Saba Slayer

Saba Slayer
Oct 19, 2004
Palos Verdes
Name
Jim Salazar
Boat
18' Welcraft CC, Hobie PA 14 and Hobie Outback
Yea...get yourself a good paddle and make it a bit longer...the better kayak shops will have a selection of lengths and price ranges and they should be able to give you some guidance on what you'll need.
Where are you located in SoCal...?
Remember...you can keep this paddle and use it on future kayaks that you may own...so... spend a few bucks if you can afford it and get something shaped well and light weight...you'll appreciate it with each stroke of the paddle...!

ButchA

Mar 27, 2020
Richmond, VA
Name
Butch Ammon
Boat
Cayman 124F kayak
Thanks... I went out with a tape measure and then did the math and the Chute kayak paddle is roughly 210cm! Waaaaay too short for a fishing kayak and me being 6'0". I need at least 230cm. Hmmm, hopefully the stores are open amidst this Coronavirus junk. I want to get out on the water!

BTW, I am in Richmond, VA not So. California (although my daughter & son-in-law were stationed in San Diego in the military, and just recently got reassigned back here on the east coast). That photo I uploaded of the Cayman 124F along the sandy bank of a river... That is actually the James River here in Richmond, Virginia and the bridge support structure is for the Willey Bridge (aka Chippenham Pkwy goes overhead).

ButchA

Mar 27, 2020
Richmond, VA
Name
Butch Ammon
Boat
Cayman 124F kayak
Here's another view of the Cayman 124F fishing kayak...

It's awesome, and you can't beat the price -- FREE 😎

This was last summer, and I'm changing lures, as my bro-in-law suggested. Also, don't get all weird, but the PFD is behind me in the bungee cords. We were in probably 2-3 ft deep water, which is why I changed lures to a light top running lure.

70827714_10157504719614035_7762418763428790272_o.jpg