Cavalla12-II … How tough is it ?

LR Houdini

Jun 26, 2020
Long Beach, Ca.
Name
Don Burnett
Boat
N/A
OK… I just won a Cavalla 12-II … I’ve looked at the specs and it’s a tough little reel, but what can it take … truthfully.
Question ? I have it spooled with 500 yards of solid 60# braid … I’d say it all depends on what rod your going to fish it on and what pound test fluorocarbon your planning on using ? Is this reel better suited for 40 ? 50? 60? Line class …
I have several rods I can fit it with … both CALSTARS and United Composite’s …
I’m having a new CX80 Raptor UC rail rod wrapped … Will the Cavalla 12-II handle a 60# or 80# top shot ?
it looks like it will … with its 25+ drag at strike …. I’m fishing Okuma Makaria’s and Penn Fathom’s now …
Would my Penn Fathom 40N two speed be a better match for the CX80 Raptor … it will hold more braid backing ?
And for those that are familiar with the UC CX80 Raptor … will this rod fish 🎣 50# ?
I'm planning on fishing mostly 60# on this new rod and occasionally 80# … any opinions?

Reactions: kuyamonster
Upvote 0

F.I.S.H.Y

Fishermen.
  • Sep 27, 2019
    San Diego CA
    Name
    Erick
    Boat
    None
    OK… I just won a Cavalla 12-II … I’ve looked at the specs and it’s a tough little reel, but what can it take … truthfully.
    Question ? I have it spooled with 500 yards of solid 60# braid … I’d say it all depends on what rod your going to fish it on and what pound test fluorocarbon your planning on using ? Is this reel better suited for 40 ? 50? 60? Line class …
    I have several rods I can fit it with … both CALSTARS and United Composite’s …
    I’m having a new CX80 Raptor UC rail rod wrapped … Will the Cavalla 12-II handle a 60# or 80# top shot ?
    it looks like it will … with its 25+ drag at strike …. I’m fishing Okuma Makaria’s and Penn Fathom’s now …
    Would my Penn Fathom 40N two speed be a better match for the CX80 Raptor … it will hold more braid backing ?
    And for those that are familiar with the UC CX80 Raptor … will this rod fish 🎣 50# ?
    I'm planning on fishing mostly 60# on this new rod and occasionally 80# … any opinions?
    too small for a raptor, it's more of a 60 to 80 rod. Sure it can do 50 but you won't be at it's full potential. Perfect for the fathom 40 really.

The cavalla 12ii is like a fathom 30ld2, 40-50lb reels that will beat anything under 100lbs no problem. I caught a 50-60lb bluefin on my fathom 30ld2 with 30lb and it was pretty simple, just cranking him up, could have handled a lot more. Cavalla should be very similar, and you got plenty of capacity.

Upvote 0

Russo

Almost A Member
    Aug 14, 2017
    Wildomar
    Name
    Jon Russo
    Boat
    If that's what you want to call it
    I actually was just involved in landing a 115# BFT with one about two weeks back. It got the job done, but I won't recommend it in that application. It took way longer than it should have and was no fun.
    I think 40-50 class is a fair assessment.

Upvote 0

kuyamonster

I only wishes to catch some fishes...
    May 14, 2009
    San Diego/Tacoma USA
    Name
    Marcel
    Boat
    Limited load cattle car
    Lucky you! Great reel, it's the upgraded model of the Metaloid 12ii in this photo. Okuma gave the Cavalla series a better ramp up on it's drag lever. A tank for sure, never felt undergunned on this 115 lb'er fought only at strike setting, 19-20 lbs of drag. Of course I have to give a ton of credit to that amazing Thrasher TRMF-76H rod blank, plenty of power! (Small diameter @
    .687, 20-100 rating and weighs only 7.6 ounces!) 🤪 My only small pet peeve on the reel is the 4.7 high gear ratio, great for torque but slow to gain line back. Granny gear @ 2:1 is perfect, only dropped down twice during the fight. Plenty of line capacity to spare as well. I own a 40NLD2 also and in retrospect, could've killed this BFT quicker if I slapped it on that rod I just wrapped. 40 lb flouro leader, FG knot to 65 lb braid and a Gammie Nautilus #1 circle hook. I'll continue to fish this combo at 40-60 no problem...🐟
    1626123068977_Marcel 2.jpg

Upvote 0

LR Houdini

Jun 26, 2020
    Long Beach, Ca.
    Name
    Don Burnett
    Boat
    N/A
    Yeah … I figured the Cavalla 12 is a good 40-50# class reel …
    I won it by hooking a 110-120# BFT on my no longer a virgin Calstar 775XXH (60-120#) on a Makaria 16 on 60# …
    I’ve already got a MK10 that I fish 40-50# on an 8 ft Terminator.
    Maybe I fit the Cavalla on my 7’6” Predator and fish 🎣 50#.
    Thanks for the info…

Upvote 0

Yellowtail Dan

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Apr 10, 2006
    Roseville Ca
    Name
    Dan
    Boat
    Excel, American Angler
    I’d flip it and fish 50lb on the Mak 10 and 40lb on the Cavalla. I have a Mak 10 and it’s a great 50lb reel. Sold my Cavalla because I didn’t have a spot for it but it’s a solid 40-50lb reel

Upvote 0

LR Houdini

Jun 26, 2020
    Long Beach, Ca.
    Name
    Don Burnett
    Boat
    N/A
    I have no trouble fishing 50# on the MK10 …that’s what I was considering putting on my 7’6” UC Predator …
    I may try a 40# top shot on the Cavalla and see how my 8” UC Terminator handles casting a sardine out on the corner ?
    My UC 8’ Del Mar with the Penn Fathom 25N and 30# has such great free spool I’m messing around with professional over rides.
    I put a long 30foot top shot on it last week … and that was too short … kept getting to the 50# backing … can’t be picking out backlashes in a hot tuna bite … zing pow 💥

Upvote 0

LR Houdini

Jun 26, 2020
    Long Beach, Ca.
    Name
    Don Burnett
    Boat
    N/A
    Yeah… a few years back I wouldn’t have used an Okuma as a boat anchor, but they have came a long way… the Tiburon ? guys put Okuma where they are today with their reel savvy …
    I’ve been phasing out my old Peen reels on eBay …
    I’m fishing with a MK50,20,16,10 … and now I won the Cavalla 12… got my eyes on a MK15T someday.
    And I’ve been fishing with the Penn Fathoms … a 25N & 40N.
    Both are excellent reels for the price… great drags, freespool, and the die cast aluminum frames are tough…
    I’ve still got an Avet HXJ that I use for wahoo…
    And two Accurate star drags … a 500, 600N Terns…wahoo !
    I’ve seen some of the Accurate two speeds handle bluefin over 100-150#’s … but I still like the feel of an Okuma Makaria in my hands… I’m keeping my Penn 30T and a12T with Cal’s conversions in my reel bag for now as backups… my other six Penn Internationals have gone by way of eBay …
    Why the 12T … it holds 550 yards of 60# braid… drag’s OK…
    Guess I’m still a little sentimental…
    But the Okuma’s … I’m impressed 👍👍

Upvote 0

LR Houdini

Jun 26, 2020
    Long Beach, Ca.
    Name
    Don Burnett
    Boat
    N/A
    In my opinion I feel the Okuma Makaria MK10 and the Cavalla 12 wide will both handle 60# … but I’d rather not … I’d top shot with 40#-50# … I’m old school and used to fishing 60#-80# on my old Penn 30’s … I’ve been selling those old Penn work horses off and going to smaller reels … with no regrets so far … I’m saving my money for a Makaria 15T … to try fishing 🎣 60# …
    My Makaria 16 just killed a 115+ with a 60# fluorocarbon wind-on last weekend … got it fitted to a Calstar 775XH (60-120#) custom rail rod … what’s the Australian term “ No Problems” …

Upvote 0