Caught fish!

Discussion in 'Hawaii Fishing Reports' started by molokaipake, Jan 12, 2010.

1. molokaipake

molokaipake Newbie

Name:
    capt clay
    Boat:
    24 foot power catamaran, "Hallelujah Hou", 18 foot Prima Sea flatsboat, "Keu" for flyfishing
    I took a young man that asked me for help in learning how to fish out this past weekend and finally did some trolling after a long hiatus. All the past three months have been spent working the bottomfishing and flyfishing on my charters

We went to a buoy where there were fish being caught, though no reports of anything big, figured better something than nothing. We get there and already there are some boats working it to no avail. No one is catching anything at all. I decide to leave and go searching. Oh yeah on the way out, I missed a small marlin, looked like a striper.

After seeing nothing, I decide to go back to where I had the marlin bite thinking that maybe there's still a fish around. About a mile from that spot I see some birds working and small aku jumping, so out goes the small stuff and bingo, hook an aku. Yea, at last, blood on the decks. We followed the birds for several hours and ended up with 29 pieces, my friend got skunked that same day as he was working the buoy. Small fish but I was happy. I had fresh fish for the next several days, my student got some valuable learning lessons too, all in all a successful fishing day. I love fresh Aku, Mmm

2. patfishhi

patfishhi Registered User

Name:
    Pat
    Boat:
    32' Blackfin "Kai Nana"
    Capt Clay,

How many credit hours did your student earn? Way to hold class. I've always thought of trolling as an opportunity to charge the batteries if we've been baiting and/or bottom. Still waiting for the first winter Nairagi; sorry to hear you missed yours.

Cheers
    Pat

3. homeka45

homeka45 Newbie

Name:
    Pomai
    Boat:
    Force 18, Honey Ann
    Nice work Clay. Aku poke and fried bones sounds ono.

4. BuonaForTuna

BuonaForTuna Newbie

Name:
    Jesse
    Boat:
    BuonaFortuna 26' Seaswirl Striper
    Good job on taking someone out and teaching them the ropes its always a great and rewarding feeling you impacted someone in something they have interest in, hopefully one day he will repay the favor and teach someone else. Good job on not giving in and making the day work!

5. betadog808

betadog808 Newbie

Name:
    J
    Boat:
    Small tub
    Dang, must have been nice to get some one on one teaching! Way to change it up to be successful!

6. navyaircrew

navyaircrew Newbie

Name:
    Scott
    Boat:
    2001 Pro-Line 20 Walk
    Good going Capt Clay! I never shy away from the little guys.... took my cousin and his girlfriend out, even though i'm nursing a broken toe from the last trip... been two weeks now, so icing it and taping it up is a must, but i must fish... so, i just take my time... Saturday and Sunday proved to be training for them as well... we fished a total of 210 miles covered in two days... picked up 74 Pieces of Aku/Shibi... brought a pretty penny at the market monday... $3.50 a pound on average... so, don't forget this smaller fish... they don't all have to be monsters to learn....

7. cheehuli

cheehuli Newbie

Name:
    Chase
    Boat:
    24' Custom Sampan "Girlie T"
    Alright Capt. Clay! Glad to hear you had a fun and productive change of pace. I'll bet your student was pretty stoked to learn some tricks from an expert.

8. russell kato

russell kato "Kamoku"

Name:
    russ
    Boat:
    15' Arima - Kamoku
    Ho Capt. Clay,
    Way to go on those Aku! Nice to hear you're back trolling and catching. BTW, I started bleeding the Aku and leaving them in the bucket for a while just like you told me and I have really notice the difference in the quality of the fish...especially with the bigger Aku! Thank you for the great tip! Enjoy your fresh Aku.