Caught fish, wish I could have kept the big ones...

Discussion in 'Hawaii Fishing Reports' started by slicklasers, Jun 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fisher808

Fisher808 Newbie

Name:
    Fisher808
    Boat:
    25 Force
    ================================================
    abdiver7777 wrote:

Hawaii can keep their fish......
    If I want to fill the freezer or catch a Marlin I go to Mexico......
    ================================================

I really don't think anyone on here gives a flying f_ck where you go fishing.

fishintuition likes this.
  2. KIWI808

KIWI808 Newbie

Name:
    mark Kalaugher
    Boat:
    18' striper
    One more thing?
    You are on a fishing Charter that you 'decided to pull the trigger on', 'saved hard for' , and then go to sleep after you leave the dock????
    WTF ??????

3. abdiver7777

abdiver7777 abdiver7777

Name:
    Sir2you
    Boat:
    No Name........
    Apparently you do....

BTW: Your Mom says Hi!

4. buss water

buss water Newbie

Name:
    Ahi Huntah
    Boat:
    24' salt water
    That's how they can afford so many boats in their fleet. That's an expensive 9 hour charter. Rip off...

5. Startmeup

Startmeup Official Sponsor of Bloodydecks Advertiser

Name:
    Lee
    Boat:
    Start Me Up Sportfishing
    Rick, I'm sorry that you feel the way you do. If you had simply spoken up, you could have taken your fish. It's unfortunate that miscommunication led to this ugly portrayal of the boat on which I make my living.

Jonny

6. speikert

speikert Newbie

Name:
    Sold It
    Boat:
    Gone
    I have fished with the Start Me Up Gang several times in the last three years and they have Always put me on the fish and sent me home with plenty of fish to eat while visiting Maui and take back to Alaska. And wow a Shibi almost kicked your ass?:fighting0061:It's probably a good thing you didn't catch anything big! I really hate to hear people complaining about good charter companies just trying to please there customers and make a honest living.... Try to enjoy your next trip and if you can't hear the briefing you should speak up and ask the information or question to be repeated as communication is key to so many things in life.

so*CALpaddyhop likes this.
  7. so*CALpaddyhop

so*CALpaddyhop Member

Name:
    Todd
    Boat:
    65x20
    Sounds like instead of having the nuts to say this all to the Capt. while it was all going down, you didn't do anything, sat back and took it while letting frustration and anger build up inside then taking it out over an Internet forum instead of resolving it as it was happening. Or instead by calling the owner and having it resolved with them. I'm not even affiliated just hate when customers don't go to the captain or owner to have something resolves first. Just seems too logical... Oh well. Better luck next time?

fishintuition likes this.
  8. yragslup

yragslup Newbie

Name:
    Gary
    Boat:
    24ft. Sea Ray, Libby's Libby's Libby's
    Many good lessons here in this string re do’s and don’t’s on chartering a boat – anywhere. Know what to expect – expect what you paid for – insure both parties understand what’s expected prior to any money exchange. Communicate when things deviate from what’s expected and make every attempt to resolve it.
    @ Captain Jonny: If the company’s advertised policy is that the client keeps the fish, or decides it’s disposition – period – then there should have been NO discussion whatsoever regarding the boat keeping any of the client’s catch – period. To do so is a breach of company policy, good faith and fair dealing. If the client initiates such an offer then that’s a different situation. The damage to the company in lost charters due to this post is incalculable – but there will be some I’m sure. Probably not worth what you got for the fish.
    @ slicklasers: quite simply, you should have spoken up then and there when things weren’t what you expected, from the different boat on, site the company’s advertised policy, and either get what you’re promised or look for another boat. Basically, stand up for yourself buddy. No one else will!

9. hawkplayer32

hawkplayer32 I'd rather be fishing.

Name:
    Tony Hicks
    Boat:
    Re-Bite
    This pretty much sums things up.

10. jer dog

jer dog Fishing is life

Name:
    Gerry
    Boat:
    One that floats
    the problem is in Hawaii it's meat fishing' not sport fishing' was their in 1985 did two different trips ' and that's what they did 'some thing's never change even after this many year's'

11. KIWI808

KIWI808 Newbie

Name:
    mark Kalaugher
    Boat:
    18' striper
    Seriously......
    What is meat fishing vs sport fishing?
    your f-ed up
    One is called fishing the other one is called catching....
    Cheers
    We eat what we Catch!!!!!!

12. slicklasers

slicklasers Member

Name:
    rick
    Boat:
    fish
    I did say I wanted to keep all my fish multiple times. As for the boat being smaller than advertised, when I was at the dock talking to Capt Deli and arranging the trip, he told me that the whole fleet were 42ft bertram sport fishers with fighting chairs. As a matter of fact, there was a chair on the boat we went on, but I was told that I could not use it, but only after we had already paid and left the dock. When I had made the arrangements with Captain Deli, I was not told that I would be on a boat of a different class, won't be able to use a chair to fish, nor that they would be keeping and selling some of my fish. So when I arrived at the dock to board the boat, it was 2:15AM, dark, and I wanted to have a good time so I figured I would let the fact that I was on a much smaller and cheaper boat go and try to have fun anyways.

As for trying to pull the line in and reel, there was no way to do that while standing, holding the pole with one hand and reeling with the other.(I only have 2 hands, hence the reason I asked to use the chair.)

13. KIWI808

KIWI808 Newbie

Name:
    mark Kalaugher
    Boat:
    18' striper
    25 fish.....
    Obviously you don't know what fun is.....

14. KIWI808

KIWI808 Newbie

Name:
    mark Kalaugher
    Boat:
    18' striper
    Perhaps you should of charted a Longliner if you wanted a percentage
    of the catch...
    Charter Boats are for pleasure.

15. grander007

grander007 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    zzzz
    Boat:
    46, Bertram, Deep Blue
    Mate, why didn't you just sit in the fighting chair? Cheese and rice, man up! I can't take this BS thread anymore so here goes.....

You should have just sat in the chair. I don't think they would have cared that much... But that is a little silly for a 25# fish. You could also have put the rod in the rod holder, asked them to repeat the instructions you only heard 10 % of, contacted them before writing your ridiculous post, etc etc.

As for 'cheaper', there are some 32 Blackfins that are worth more than 42 or 46 Bertrams. Check out yachtworld.com. I used to own a 32 BF, now I have a 46 Bertram. There are plenty of days I miss my Blackfin, it has a 12' beam and IMHO is better for a solo private charter and frankly can outfish a 42 or 46 Bertram on that 'fish of a lifetime'.

I assume that's why you spent $1,200, to have a shot at a grander. Not to go home with 100 lbs of 25 lbs fish otherwise you are definitely wasting some money you could be spending on Bieber tickets.

Better luck next time, and please do us all a favor and stop defending yourself. That is impossible after your first post.

16. jer dog

jer dog Fishing is life

Name:
    Gerry
    Boat:
    One that floats
    they had us fishing for Mahi with 6/0 with 6o LB ' the biggest fish was like 22 LB'S I fish them In San Diego with 25 LB that's the difference .

17. Dropper Loop

Dropper Loop Hana hou!

Name:
    Uncle B
    Boat:
    24 Funai
    This thread is Lamos like John Stamos.

18. gnehekul

gnehekul I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Fishead
    Boat:
    cash carrying ho
    OP: next time tell the guy WTF you didn't get what was agreed on. and F if I want to reel in my fish on a seat Im sitting down but then I weight a lot more than you :(

johnny,

why does a customer have to speak up when your own website says, if they have to tell you then maybe put it on the website that it's optional??
    also you listed another boat on your site. why not put both boats?

:

http://www.sportfishingmaui.com/info.html

Do we get to keep the fish we catch?
    Absolutely - every last one! While many sport fishing companies in Hawaii will tell you "the fish has to stay with the boat," Start Me Up's policy is exactly the opposite. If you catch it, you can keep it! We'll even filet enough fish for you and your party to enjoy a scrumptious seafood dinner. Keep in mind that there are no canning/processing/shipping facilities on Maui, so we recommend fishing with us earlier in your trip so that you have fresh fish for the remainder of your vacation. If you don't want to keep your fish, you can also choose to have it mounted - just ask your captain for more information.

http://www.sportfishingmaui.com/index.html
    VITAL INFO:
    Boats
    : 42' (L.O.A.) Bertram Sportfisher
    Home port: Lahaina, Maui. Slip #36
    Engines: Yanmar 350hp diesels
    Cruising Speed: 22 knots
    Top Speed: 26 knots
    Skipper: Doug Armfield

Amenities:
    • Penn International rods and reels
      20# through 130# class
    • New Unlimited class fighting chair
    • fishfinder, GPS, auto pilot
    • twin control stations
    • an air conditioned cabin
    • refridgerators and freezers
    • 2 color TVs/VCRs
    • Ice, tackle

19. Slow Poke

Slow Poke SeaKhunt

Name:
    Jeff
    Boat:
    21' Kencraft
    Opinions are like assholes..Everybody has got one. Thats clear in this thread. Its a shame that all this had to happen on a public forum. This will affect the company for sure. I work in a similar industry here in Hawaii and the fact of the matter is you never know who or what type of person your gonna get as a customer. Its up to the company to make sure everyone knows what to expect. Especially safety wise. Its not the customers job to ask questions. If the deck hand is explaining things next to a loud engine well, duh! Give instructions in the galley dude.
    Your website goes over the top saying that the customer gets to keep every last fish. If thats not the case...change it! Some people are timid and don't want to ask for things that they expect already. And if they are paying top dollar, they shouldn't have to ask.

At this point Start Me Up should just apologize. Not make excuses. Im sure they are a good company and give great charters. So man up, admit your mistake and move on. The customer has a very valid argument. All it takes is an apology and i would go back to recommending Start Me Up as a charter again. Im just one asshole though!

20. plj46

plj46 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    jim
    Boat:
    24 ft grady white
    And sell it to !

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.