Caught a ......salmon? Off of buoy number 3 in Point Loma.

clevel

Skipper
Jun 4, 2011
Laguna Niguel
Name
Cabo Jack
Boat
Cobia 261
Any friends around or only one salmon? It is beginning to turn into an odd fishing season for SoCal!

cioppino

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Dec 16, 2005
San Diego
Name
Dave
Boat
FORTUNA -- Parker 2510 XLD
Congrats!! That is cool and very rare. Saw a few caught in the kelp in LJ years ago.
This season is bizarre. I was in that area Tuesday and the water was 62°!? In August????

Reactions: Low N Slow

Big_Tuna_

Aug 3, 2017
San Diego
Name
David
Boat
Hobie Tandem Island
But yeah if the lower gums are black, which it looks like, it is a king (Chinook) salmon

plj46

Jan 7, 2008
Socal
Name
john
Boat
24 ft grady white
There are some strange rules regarding Salmon.I thought it was not legal to take them down here ?

Reactions: ColdEye

stairman

May 16, 2009
ramona /ca/usa
Name
doug
Boat
yak and lowe duck hunting skiff but they identify as sportfishing crusiers
I caught one off point loma 20 years ago too...happens once in a while just like norcal getting a yt now and then

Reactions: Olddog8

Tuna Vic

Mar 17, 2010
Whittier California
Name
Victor
Boat
18ftC/CWellcraft Calico Time II
Not unbelievable,my buddy caught one outside the LA harbor lighthouse,I was with him.

stangclassic66

USCG Master
Oct 21, 2004
San Diego/SF Bay
Name
Capt. Erik
Boat
25’ Parker
Glad i still have my salmon gear down here. Will set some time to troll it on the way in or on the way out.

Reactions: mtb_prodigy

ZZZZZ

Dec 11, 2003
Name
Boat
Rad so cool. Congrats

In 1995 I saw 2 caught durring the winter. Each nice size aproximitly 15lbs.

One was taken on a morning half day boat out of Oceanside. We were in a very good Sculpin bite and a dude brought up a salmon. Was out with my paps. Having fun fishing squid

The second one I saw was in the winter also in 1995. Aboard the Malihini fishing Rockfish and Lings at the Rockpile. I think the dude got bit on the drop or on the wind back up. Mexican waters! Crazy

tunanorth

Dec 4, 2005
By the lake
Name
Tunanorth
Boat
Bass Tracker 16
Not exactly rare. In cooler/wetter years they can be common as far south as Newport Canyon, and have been caught as far south as El Islote.
Colt Sniper and similar type jigs would be a pretty normal way to catch them, the old "Point Wilson Dart" was created for salmon fishing.
Also true that Oregon/Washington anglers are seeing yellowtail, dorado, bluefin, and even opah.

Reactions: KCiuchta