fishbadger

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Apr 6, 2012
WA
Name
fishbadger
Boat
.Grady Gulfstream 232 "Herd of Turtles"
Had fun dinking around with bottomfish this year for half of May. Fished MA7 a good deal with my daughters, and had a lot of success.

Question for next year:
What's good terminal tackle to target kelp greenling with, and what kind of water would you focus on?

We did really well on little 1 oz PWDarts around kelp beds, but also busted a lot of them off, making that an expensive gig. Any other ideas?

Thanks in advance,

fb

On The Road

May 24, 2011
Mukilteo, WA
Name
Brad
Boat
Trophy 2352
we use small white grub lures right next to kelp beds close to islands. dont lose many.

dstinger

Feb 18, 2009
San Diego, Ca and Sequim, WA. USA.
Name
Glenn with gas money for albie trips off La Push
Boat
Kayaks, sailboards, rowboats and driftboats
Had fun dinking around with bottomfish this year for half of May. Fished MA7 a good deal with my daughters, and had a lot of success.

Question for next year:
What's good terminal tackle to target kelp greenling with, and what kind of water would you focus on?

We did really well on little 1 oz PWDarts around kelp beds, but also busted a lot of them off, making that an expensive gig. Any other ideas?

Thanks in advance,

fb
Plastic grubs, curly tail or shad type bodies with a 1/2 oz head work will and are much cheaper that darts... The the single hook on the lead head doesn't get snagged as much as a treble on the dart... They are really cheap on eBay

Hunter Dan

Jun 30, 2011
Stauffer
Name
Dan
Boat
MUGWUMP
Good timing! I'm going to try for some greenling tomorrow! I took all the treble hooks out of my jig box this week. Going to try assist hooks on top and a siwash on bottom of the darts, or two assists. A business contact suggested bass spinner baits?! He said to toss them to the edge of the kelp and let them free fall down rather than retrieve them.

EJ Swanny

Three Generations of Uff-Dah
Nov 30, 2010
Redondo/WA
Name
Erik
Boat
"Riley-J" 2006 21' Proline Tourney
How do these little critters taste and are they easy to fillet or are they more like Cabbies?? Also what are their size ranges, I would imagine it may be fun with a trout rod or my daughters (6 yrs old) Cinderella's little fishing pole??

With Cabbs and Greens being the only thing we can catch after the 15th I may be looking to put a few fillets in the pan and freezer.......

DJFISHS2XS

Well-Known "Member"
Mar 26, 2012
Oak Harbor Wa
Name
DJ Stevenson
Boat
Little blue lund
Why did you take all the treble hooks out of your jig box....You can use trouble hooks for bottom fish you just cant fish for salmon with them...Most misunderstood rule on the books

Hunter Dan

Jun 30, 2011
Stauffer
Name
Dan
Boat
MUGWUMP
Why did you take all the treble hooks out of your jig box....You can use trouble hooks for bottom fish you just cant fish for salmon with them...Most misunderstood rule on the books
I can't add the assist hook with a treble on the bottom.

fishbadger

Apr 6, 2012
WA
Name
fishbadger
Boat
Thanks for the advice. They fillet just fine, like a little ling, just cut the row of bones out as per usual, and they're fun for the kids on ultralites. They eat OK, and the small ones make great bait (insert alterior motive here). I'll try the small jighead/twister tail combo. We caught some on those, but not nearly as many as on the expensive stuff. Much obliged,

fb

Clockwork

Feb 16, 2011
covington, wa
Name
Ryan
Boat
GW Marlin
anyone trying to fish them with ultralight trout gear is gonna get a rod broke. these things can get on it. fights exactly like a same-sized ling and i've gotten 20 inchers on occasion.

those little darts you were using are the best but at $7 you might go with a small curlytail but i dont get nearly the action the darts do.

i was always told how good eating they are but i've never really gotten into them. lots of little bones not alot of flavor. good for fish tacos but i've come to the realization that i dont really enjoy eating them.

fishbadger

Apr 6, 2012
WA
Name
fishbadger
Boat
The ultralites work fine for greenlings as long as you set the drag and have a clue. My girls got plenty-o-greenlings on them, not to mention lingcod up to 32 inches over the last few weeks. Not advocating ultralites for lingcod, just sayin it's got more to do with the angler than the tool,

fb

DJFISHS2XS

Well-Known "Member"
Mar 26, 2012
Oak Harbor Wa
Name
DJ Stevenson
Boat
Little blue lund
I can't add the assist hook with a treble on the bottom.

Oh sorry I thought you were yet another that didnt know you can use treble hooks for bottom fish....I even had a guy have a miny hissy fit at the boat launch one day because he seen a dart in the boat with a trouble on it....I personally dont see the need for a stinger hook...keep it simple after all your dropping your lure into a forrest of kelp with a cliff side of bottom barnacles that all want to steal your gear...

Yes this is a butter knife [email protected] $.38 after split ring and hook added to the thrift store knife price of $.10

Attachments

fishbadger

Apr 6, 2012
WA
Name
fishbadger
Boat
That's pretty sweet!

fb

EJ Swanny

Nov 30, 2010
Redondo/WA
Name
Erik
Boat
Looks like you may have may have put a little bend in it to help it flutter better?????

DJFISHS2XS

Well-Known "Member"
Mar 26, 2012
Oak Harbor Wa
Name
DJ Stevenson
Boat
Little blue lund
Looks like you may have may have put a little bend in it to help it flutter better?????
I didnt its just the way the pic looks and I recommend you don't it already catches the line two often...We northerners call that a "Dirty Hippy" which was what came out of Dons (9/0 nasty) mouth about 8 years ago after my daughter (then 8) said "MR Don" after the first F-bomb flew earlier in the day....we have called that a dirty hippy from that moment on:rofl:

we have all kinds of stupid stuff like that it comes from having a great bunch of friends who fish a lot together but thats what its all about right

bigfishtinyboat

25 Trophy
May 21, 2012
Seattle
Name
Dwight
Boat
MarcoBay
We land a ton of greenlings every season since they are the only thing other than cabs that you can legally possess after the 15th. We find them really good eating. Hard to tell them from lings. We usually fish out of Friday Harbor and once the shrimp in the Bay get slightly bigger my kids net a bunch of shrimp that we throw in the livewell and use small leadheads with a live shrimp baited on the leadhead. The greenies can't resist them and you will occasionally get a nice ling latched on to the greenie. Lots of fun.

DJFISHS2XS

Well-Known "Member"
Mar 26, 2012
Oak Harbor Wa
Name
DJ Stevenson
Boat
Little blue lund
We land a ton of greenlings every season since they are the only thing other than cabs that you can legally possess after the 15th. We find them really good eating. Hard to tell them from lings. We usually fish out of Friday Harbor and once the shrimp in the Bay get slightly bigger my kids net a bunch of shrimp that we throw in the livewell and use small leadheads with a live shrimp baited on the leadhead. The greenies can't resist them and you will occasionally get a nice ling latched on to the greenie. Lots of fun.

I do like to eat fresh greenling but the main reason we catch them is for ling bait...we do eat the ones that dont get sent down to intice Mr. Ling unless they are alive...the secret to greenling tasting like ling is never freeze them eat them fresh...DJ

Hunter Dan

Jun 30, 2011
Stauffer
Name
Dan
Boat
MUGWUMP
Oh sorry I thought you were yet another that didnt know you can use treble hooks for bottom fish....I even had a guy have a miny hissy fit at the boat launch one day because he seen a dart in the boat with a trouble on it....I personally dont see the need for a stinger hook...keep it simple after all your dropping your lure into a forrest of kelp with a cliff side of bottom barnacles that all want to steal your gear...

Yes this is a butter knife [email protected] $.38 after split ring and hook added to the thrift store knife price of $.10
Thats OK. The jig box I razed also gets used off the Edmonds Pier for salmon every so often. I'm also convinced there are some powers that be that would ban all trebles if they could and I want to test alternatives to stay ahead of the curve, being the gear junkie I am! I HAVE been scouring second hand stores and put my dad under garage sale orders to look for cheap butter knives! thanks for a great tip. Dan.

Glad Wrap

Jul 21, 2009
Tacoma, WA
Name
Scott
Boat
boat whore
I remember seeing your setup on that "other" site a couple years ago Dj. Forgot about it, now it's time to go grab some cheapies and make a few. Thanks for posting that again.

EJ Swanny

Nov 30, 2010
Redondo/WA
Name
Erik
Boat
I didnt its just the way the pic looks and I recommend you don't it already catches the line two often...We northerners call that a "Dirty Hippy" which was what came out of Dons (9/0 nasty) mouth about 8 years ago after my daughter (then 8) said "MR Don" after the first F-bomb flew earlier in the day....we have called that a dirty hippy from that moment on:rofl:

we have all kinds of stupid stuff like that it comes from having a great bunch of friends who fish a lot together but thats what its all about right
Right on, looks fairly simple, cheap, and clean......looks like you have a drill press and table grinder. No swivel.....and I assume you just jig it like any other type of jig???

Thanks and cheers:hali_olutta:
Swanny

DJFISHS2XS

Well-Known "Member"
Mar 26, 2012
Oak Harbor Wa
Name
DJ Stevenson
Boat
Little blue lund
I use power pro so I put a swivel to heavy mono the heavier and stiffer the better anti abrasion is better then a soft mono it keeps from getting caught up on the hooks so easy(dirty hippy)..one other thing I'm testing is a little longer leader lest say 2 feet with a medium size corkie between the dart and the swivel in theory it will float the line up and slide down when jigged hopefully the slight drag on the dart will keep the line away from the trebles...and Hunter Dan Im afraid your right about the troubles...I no longer use flat sided darts jigging for salmon due to it tends to lay flat on the dart when fluttering Ive actually seen salmon hit them and get it pulled out with out even slightly hooking the fish

Hunter Dan

Jun 30, 2011
Stauffer
Name
Dan
Boat
MUGWUMP
When I was rigging the assist hooks to the top of the darts I noticed they will lay pretty flat against the side of the jig...point out, point to the belly or point to the back. I am going to try threading a herring fillet scale side out onto the assist hook and stretchy thread or zip tying the hook to the jig to hold it in place. Then the herring will run down the side of the jig and flutter at the tail. On a hookup the tie should break away and let the jig dangle. Of course I will leave a siwash below. If the Edmonds Pier goes nuts on a "new rig" you'll know it works!

pijon

Well-Known "Member"
May 11, 2009
Kent, WA
Name
steve
Boat
22 arima
I use a size 2 owner live bait hook. Same set up as you would use for tuna excerpt maybe more weight for greenling depending on depth. Hook it thru the gill shoulder just like for tuna and you are good to go. Greenling have smaller mouths than rocks and lings. Very hard to get them consistently with large bait. With live or dead bait, small anchovies are the best.

wood2turn

Aug 17, 2009
Oak Harbor, WA
Name
Terry
Boat
14’ Sterling Sea Skiff - Gypsy Queen
Thats OK. The jig box I razed also gets used off the Edmonds Pier for salmon every so often. I'm also convinced there are some powers that be that would ban all trebles if they could and I want to test alternatives to stay ahead of the curve, being the gear junkie I am! I HAVE been scouring second hand stores and put my dad under garage sale orders to look for cheap butter knives! thanks for a great tip. Dan.

I haven't used a lure with a treble hook on it in over 15 yrs. Don't even have them in any of my tackle boxes. But I have a heck of a box full in the garage!

Charles_Sterlin

Apr 30, 2010
Redmond
sterlings.life
Name
Charles
Boat
23' Pursuit and 28' Slickcraft resto mod
Last weekend we were targeting rockfish. Two people were using whiteplastic grubs and I was using Berkley gulp 4" minnows and 6" Berkley gulp swim shad....no idea how the greenling got them in their mouth but I caught 5+ big greenling and my fishing buddies caught 0.

For rockfish I think the other two guys did a little better than me....so greenling certainly respond to smell...