catch squid in la jolla at night?

cb9501

Oct 14, 2006
Encinitas
Name
Casey
Boat
1977 20' Skipjack Open, "Tail Chaser"
so far I have only been able to catch squid in la jolla during the day with my squid jigs. I see them on my sonar at night and last time was able to get them up to the boat with a light but they didn't want anything to do with my jigs. any advice? am I cursed? I might try to frankenstein a net before next trip. any DIY net ideas? thanks!

Upvote 0

lynndeva

Fishing mom
Sep 14, 2009
Socal
Name
Debi
Boat
Wellcraft Coastal
you can make your own crowder net for pretty cheap...it's easy too...I buy my netting from this ebay store (link below) in bulk, can't beat the prices..then you just need the 2 poles..wood or bamboo or pvc cut at whatever length you want and attach the netting with a staple gun or zip ties work too..

http://shop.ebay.com/fabricsplus/m.html?_trksid=p4340.l2562

and I bought one of these lights...not the fanciest but pretty inexpensive and gets the job done..
http://cgi.ebay.com/Brinkmann-Starf...ultDomain_0&hash=item5197b5facb#ht_500wt_1078

Upvote 0

lynndeva

Fishing mom
Sep 14, 2009
Socal
Name
Debi
Boat
Wellcraft Coastal
that light is pretty legit?

I need something cheap and 12v for my ride...thanks

I was a little skeptical, but I figured for that price I'll give it a try..works great!
(250,000 CP halogen bulb encased in a watertight tube)..I figured if it wasn't enough light I would get another and put it on battery #2, but one light got the job done...fast shipping too, comes from Southern Ca, I had it in 2 days...

Upvote 0

stairman

May 16, 2009
ramona /ca/usa
Name
doug
Boat
yak and lowe duck hunting skiff but they identify as sportfishing crusiers
A sabiki,smallest size, works as good or better for squid...just hang a weighted squid jig where you normally put the weight.Once you have one on the squid seem to think their missing something and climb on.Threes and fours at a time.
If you want a ridiculously bright light talk to dean AKA bankrobber. He makes and sells them.I can testify that if you have one of his lights out and there are other boats in the area they won't catch any squid till you turn your bankrobber light off.

Upvote 0