Catch and Release Bluefin Fishing

SandyClaus

Jun 21, 2022
Irvine CA
Name
Chip Dorman
Boat Name
Party
What does everybody do with all their fish?

I'm a single guy. I can only eat/give away so much fish.

So my question is, what does everybody do with all their extra fish?

I've got a 3 day in May scheduled on the Vagabond, a 4 day in July on the Polaris Supreme, and another 4 day scheduled in August on the Independence. And those don't include the fill in trips for thug yellowtail, white seabass, and rockfish.

200lbs of frozen fish is about max for me.

Are the boats cool with releasing them at the rail?

Don't get me wrong, I love my trophy pics as much as the next guy, but I don't need a pic of me catching a super cow that bad if it means the fish is going to waste.

So what do you guys do with your extra fish? What're the protocols on the different boats? Do you land the fish anyways and donate to the boat for dinner/sushi/others who didn't catch any?

jer dog

Fishing is life
Jun 22, 2006
Garden Grove
Name
Gerry
Boat Name
One that floats
What does everybody do with all their fish?

I'm a single guy. I can only eat/give away so much fish.

So my question is, what does everybody do with all their extra fish?

I've got a 3 day in May scheduled on the Vagabond, a 4 day in July on the Polaris Supreme, and another 4 day scheduled in August on the Independence. And those don't include the fill in trips for thug yellowtail, white seabass, and rockfish.

200lbs of frozen fish is about max for me.

Are the boats cool with releasing them at the rail?

Don't get me wrong, I love my trophy pics as much as the next guy, but I don't need a pic of me catching a super cow that bad if it means the fish is going to waste.

So what do you guys do with your extra fish? What're the protocols on the different boats? Do you land the fish anyways and donate to the boat for dinner/sushi/others who didn't catch any?
what you need to do is ask one of the deck hands on your trip,
they will give you the best advice.

45king

Jig slinger/arrow flinger
May 29, 2005
Sd/Oc
Name
danny
Boat Name
Hall pass
Giving away fish is a chore in itself. I release everything that does not have a name to it. If I’m too tired to process fish then I’m not keeping anything. The tug is the drug for me and as far as bluefin goes, if it’s not getting taken care of like it’s sashimi grade then you won’t get any bluefin from me. Dare throw my fresh fish into the freezer and you might not get any fish ever. Lmao.

Upvote 0

Rmpsocal

Almost A Member
Jan 12, 2016
San Pedro
Name
Rich P.
Boat Name
None
Before I left on my 3-day this past October, I already set the boundary of processing 100# of Bluefin (if I was lucky enough to catch fish). Anyways, the boat caught 114 Bluefin Tuna and 57 of those were over 100#!!!

After I caught my 3rd fish (3 fish total of 330#) early on the 2nd night, I pretty much stopped fishing. Lol. That was the most sleep I’ve gotten on a Bluefin trip ever, and I got back home totally relaxed. 😁

Upvote 0

Troy

Under the Radar
Sep 12, 2005
Bird Rock
Name
Troy
Boat Name
Pez Loco
Giving away fish is a chore in itself. I release everything that does not have a name to it. If I’m too tired to process fish then I’m not keeping anything. The tug is the drug for me and as far as bluefin goes, if it’s not getting taken care of like it’s sashimi grade then you won’t get any bluefin from me. Dare throw my fresh fish into the freezer and you might not get any fish ever. Lmao.

Agree! I’ve given away thousands of pounds fresh fish over the years and anyone who doesn’t eat it within 48 hours is not getting another delivery. Blows my mind when someone freezes it and tells me two weeks later they finally had it.

Upvote 0

GaffnLaff

Rum is Tackle
Dec 3, 2003
Bay Park
Visit site
Name
Dave Cairncross
Boat Name
Currently looking for a new Ho'ing opportunity
I have a rare but trusted buddy that will meet me at Five star and pay most of my packing bill for half of my fish.

Upvote 0

SandyClaus

Jun 21, 2022
Irvine CA
Name
Chip Dorman
Boat Name
Party

I once gave a fish to the owner of an Italian deli I go to..mentioned here about not getting charged for my next sandwich..
You would have thought I killed someone...
Yeah, you stepped on a third rail there fishkilr!

I only know about it because I have some fishing friends who also do some commercial fishing8-)

Reactions: 45king
Upvote 0

surfgoose

active geezer
  • Jul 29, 2010
    Long Beach, CA, USA
    Name
    Gary
    Boat Name
    whichever has the longest bunk
    I release a fair percentage of my hooked bluefin . . . I don't mean to, they just manage to get away. But I am also totally OK with taking a hand-off from another fisherman who is a hot hand on that day if he wants to share. I do that a lot myself when the situation is reversed. And asking the deckhand is a great idea, sometimes someone is ill or injured and would like to have his number put onto a gift fish. I had an injured left (pulling) hand on my last trip and was grateful that another fisherman offered several fish.

And keep all of your bluefin or give it away, being all self-righteous about how and when someone eats it seems really silly to me. My family members in Arizona love to get my frozen bluefin . . . but then, they ARE in northern Arizona and we all know how crazy those people are.

Upvote 0

MattFred1414

• Jan 3, 2020
    Texas
    Name
    Matt
    Boat Name
    20ft Skeeter Zx20Bay
    I used to bring some fish to Zia Gourmet pizza in normal heights. Owners are super friendly and may give you some free pizza.

Otherwise I just give everything I can’t eat away.

Upvote 0

Jibber805

Almost A Member
    Mar 29, 2012
    Santa Barbara/CA/USA
    Name
    Jibs
    Boat Name
    none
    I account for the big fish processing bill before I go on the trip. Meaning - it’ll be huge, maybe $700 or so, and I know that’s all on me. I have big ass coolers. I load it all myself w a lot of ice at the processor. I have a big group of friends that are ready and waiting to get free sushi grade bluefin (yellowtail, etc) when we get back, assuming we have a good trip. I start hitting the texts out on the way home driving back to SB from SD so they all know it’ll be there in a big cooler for the next couple days outside on my front porch. I leave a bunch of reused plastic bags outside and occasionally add ice as needed to preserve the quality of these amazing fish.

Its just like Christmas - “tis better to give than to receive”.

The pics I get back of the amazing dinner plates shared amongst friends and family are absolutely worth every penny.

Upvote 0

fishkilr

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Aug 27, 2012
    Cali
    Name
    alby
    Boat Name
    None
    Private boat yes, cattle boat NO. The school will sink out if you release the fish.
    So your saying any lost fish or a lost fish near the boat or a fish thrown back or shook off will sink em out and they stop chewin? Huh..
    Maybe confusing with a lost troll fish?

Reactions: plj46 and Kevin A
    Upvote 0

Mr. DRE

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Sep 23, 2019
    West Hills, CA
    Name
    Andre
    Boat Name
    Private
    I usually don't have a problem giving it all away. I stopped paying to get it processed and just bring it home and process it myself. Best trip this year limits of BFT with tops at 246, 207 and 176 and limits of YFT. Took an 18 pack of beer, 4 hours and the help of a few friends to process. It was all gone within the week.

Reactions: 45king and Cubeye
    Upvote 0

AWilliams

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    May 18, 2009
    Ramona, Ca.
    Name
    Alin Williams
    Boat Name
    none
    I usually give most everything away while on the boat so I can walk off and leave when we dock. I don't want the hassle of transporting and processing it or wanting to pay for it.

Reactions: hucklongfin
    Upvote 0