Jimmy Norris

Jfnnorris
Aug 27, 2019
Bakersfield
Name
Jimmy
Boat
2004 Hydrasports 2400 Vector
Hello all. Im new to offshore fishing and boating in general. Also newer to the forum. I plan on taking my boat out to catalina Saturday with cousin, uncle, and family friend. We know dang near nothing about the island other than where Avalon is(we went earlier in the year and fished the calicos). Haha. We are in search of Yellowtailthis time And we are looking for help. Other than looking for birds. Is there any pointers? Bait, temp break, depth, general area? Anything is appreciated. Im not looking for your secret spot. Just a good starting point. Thank you.

Upvote 0

Fishnfunky

Aug 3, 2014
Name
Banks
Boat
18 Grady
Backside or front side of the island has yellows right now. Search for bait and what may look like game fish on your fish finder. Look in depths from 60-120ft deep. Make sure to use 20-40lb floro top shots. Try trolling rapalas while looking for fish on the meter especially if the sea dogs are around. You can also try slow trolling live sardines with the boat in gear at idle, have 1 bait 6 feet from the back of the boat and another the length of the boat. You can also try anchoring in 60-80 feet of water off the kelp line with some chum but watch out because the Sea dogs like this chum too. Oh, I think I told you everything Dave Hansen would show you 😊😂😂

Reactions: pacificscout
Upvote 0

Jimmy Norris

Jfnnorris
Aug 27, 2019
Bakersfield
Name
Jimmy
Boat
2004 Hydrasports 2400 Vector
Backside or front side of the island has yellows right now. Search for bait and what may look like game fish on your fish finder. Look in depths from 60-120ft deep. Make sure to use 20-40lb floro top shots. Try trolling rapalas while looking for fish on the meter especially if the sea dogs are around. You can also try slow trolling live sardines with the boat in gear at idle, have 1 bait 6 feet from the back of the boat and another the length of the boat. You can also try anchoring in 60-80 feet of water off the kelp line with some chum but watch out because the Sea dogs like this chum too. Oh, I think I told you everything Dave Hansen would show you 😊😂😂
Thank you! Either a rapala or a live bait 6 feet behind the boat?

Upvote 0

NaClAddict

• Jul 18, 2008
    torrance
    Name
    Greg
    Boat
    22 glasstron
    Yes, but make sure your troll 2 lines whether Rapala or sardine but with the Rapala troll at around 3-5mph/knots
    More is better with rapalas as long as you can manage to me.
    I like to slow troll baits on my 3rd and 6 wake mogul, like marlin jigs, swimming downhill.
    How do you keep your baits in the water? Mine would skip that close, maybe not the boat length line? Funny, was just talking to my boat partner about remounting the kicker.

Upvote 0