Catalina YT 6/15/2018

Shumba

Sep 23, 2011
Sunset Beach/CA/USA
Name
Tim
Boat
Cazadora
Headed over to the Isthmus on Friday (6/15/2018) in the early afternoon. Got on the mooring, but due to the wind decided to leave the boat on the mooring and take out the dinghy close to shore for some calico. Was fishing with my Shimano Trinidad 14A, 40lbs. braid with 20 lbs. leader. Using frozen "gummy bear" size squid and landing a good amount of calicos. Current was running downhill and after a long soak (light wire circle hook and 1/4 oz. sliding sinker), got hit by something that seemed bigger than a calico. The fish turned and headed out to sea and felt like a bat ray. Handed it off to a 13 yr. old kid who loves to fish and had him tighten the drag down and crank the fish to the boat. Almost to the boat and the line gets wrapped in the prop of the dinghy. I see it is actually a bigger grade YT and jump in the water to unwrap the line. Fish then gets wrapped in our anchor line. Had to hand line the fish to the boat now. Get it close enough to the dinghy and have to grab it by the tail and wrestle it into the boat (no gaff on the dinghy). Weighed in at 28 lbs. Great start to the weekend!

Upvote 0

cortezpirasea

Pangero
Feb 23, 2012
la mesa, ca
Name
Russell
Boat
21 ft panga Sea Moan/17 ft gregor Pirasea II
Atta Boyzzzz!

Upvote 0

mhanson59hb

Fear No Fish
  • Apr 22, 2013
    Huntington Beach
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    2008 Trophy 1802 "Mako My Day"
    That's a toad! That is really over-coming the odds after wrapping twice! Congrats!

Upvote 0