Catalina Yellowtail 5/31 with Pop (late report)

Donkey Nick

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jul 16, 2012
Hollywood, CA, USA
Name
Nick Shamrock
Boat
Shamrock 246 Walkaround
Sorry for the late report...

Left Cabrillo on Sunday at 5:30 with my 83 year old Pop and the Carnage was going to be at the island until 7:30, so to the East we went.

IMG_6551.jpg

Decided to work the same game plan as last weekend, knowing that finding and putting another 7 yellows on the deck was probably not happening...nor did we need more meat. So we crossed in some short swell and chop, but it was doable (the Shamrock is a pretty stable platform), but it was still work. Picked up a healthy scoop from the squid boat (plus a little extra) and off we went.

From Avalon to Long Point, the machine was lit up with bait and fish...but the current was against the wind (where there was current) and it just didn't feel right, nor did it bite. Worked depth from 60-100ft. Headed back to where we found the fish last week and the Empire struck back and we struck out. I am pretty sure I marked a ton of squid in about 90 ft. throughout the area, but the fishing was dead. The wind was coming up and the current was going against it, making for less than desirable conditions. We pulled the anchor and because of the wind coming from the West...we headed East back to Long Point. We would have went West if not for the wind.

Drifted the area for a while around Long Point and marked a lot of bait and fish once again, so decided to anchor in 90 ft to chum it up and ride it out. I have found that 90 ft has been the go to for the yellows or maybe it is just my luck with that depth. Pulled out lunch...My dad always brings the great spread...and planned on riding it out, as the weather behind the point was sheltered from the wind and calm. Sun was out and we just took in the beauty of the day.

It was pretty solid short bass, small bonies and non-legal barries on 20lb with a #2 hook and 1/4 oz slider. The usual short bass became a nuisance, which is fine with me. Catching is catching! However, I will say that the clueless/uneducated/rude boaters were out in force again. It is unbelievable how some people just do not understand some Basic concepts...unreal.

As I was having a conversation with the 40 ft sailboat, who approached us at a sandwedge (more like a lob wedge) distance...I was picked up by the right kind. On the Newell 229 and Calstar 870, the fight was on. Nice runs in the deeper water, so I kept the drag a bit looser than normal, which ended up working out.

IMG_6582.jpg

Another picture/same fish

IMG_6574.jpg

That would be the only yellow for the day, although we chummed and chummed and chummed. Could of looked around some more, but headed home around 1:30 in some tough conditions. Motored it back safely and thankful for another trip.

Whenever we catch 1 yellow (with no other bites), my Dad calls the fish a Shoe Salesman. Meaning, he was a lone fish going door-to-door...Well, I guess you had to be there.

Tight lines and all the best!

-Nick

Last edited:

Sciaenops

Nov 23, 2005
Costa Mesa
Name
Keith
Boat
Aquasport Explorer 225
thanks for another great report. heading over on Thurs. will keep in mind your intel.

Reactions: Donkey Nick

woodfish330

Aug 14, 2012
San Fransisco,CA USA
Name
John
Boat
Fishead
Beautiful shots..... and a nice fish. Spent the day with pop..... had great bait....and he brought the lunch "spread". Great times in deed! Thanks for your post.

Don't take those trips for granted brother. Looking back when my dad was alive.... and actually capable of fishing himself.... reminds me that these trips are very "special".

Sorry to say they are "numbered".... but they truly are brother. His smile..... with you in that photo......says it ALL.

PRICELESS!

I'm envious brother.... yet very happy for the both of you. Keep sharing..... With him and us. I appreciate you brother. ... I'm sure he does too!

Be safe out there.

Tom123

Jan 31, 2020
LA
Name
Tom Furukawa
Boat
None
Beautiful shot of you guys at Angel's Gate. Sounds like some quality time spent with pops. Good for you.

Nice YT. With a Newell. Pretty cool.

Sushiboy

Jan 1, 2007
Redlands
Name
Travis
Boat
21' Wellcraft CC
Great trip for sure! And like what was said before a trip im sure you won't forget! I had a great one last year with myself and my Dad as well as my son and my nephew(3 generations!).It was fantastic on many levels.Great report and way to read the conditions.I love the shoe salesman analogy and it's so cool it may live on to another generation!

Reactions: woodfish330

Top or Bottom

May 1, 2020
Long Beach
Name
David Juner
Boat
22' Striper WA
Sorry for the late report...

Left Cabrillo on Sunday at 5:30 with my 83 year old Pop and the Carnage was going to be at the island until 7:30, so to the East we went.

View attachment 1151771

Decided to work the same game plan as last weekend, knowing that finding and putting another 7 yellows on the deck was probably not happening...nor did we need more meat. So we crossed in some short swell and chop, but it was doable (the Shamrock is a pretty stable platform), but it was still work. Picked up a healthy scoop from the squid boat (plus a little extra) and off we went.

From Avalon to Long Point, the machine was lit up with bait and fish...but the current was against the wind (where there was current) and it just didn't feel right, nor did it bite. Worked depth from 60-100ft. Headed back to where we found the fish last week and the Empire struck back and we struck out. I am pretty sure I marked a ton of squid in about 90 ft. throughout the area, but the fishing was dead. The wind was coming up and the current was going against it, making for less than desirable conditions. We pulled the anchor and because of the wind coming from the West...we headed East back to Long Point. We would have went West if not for the wind.

Drifted the area for a while around Long Point and marked a lot of bait and fish once again, so decided to anchor in 90 ft to chum it up and ride it out. I have found that 90 ft has been the go to for the yellows or maybe it is just my luck with that depth. Pulled out lunch...My dad always brings the great spread...and planned on riding it out, as the weather behind the point was sheltered from the wind and calm. Sun was out and we just took in the beauty of the day.

It was pretty solid short bass, small bonies and non-legal barries on 20lb with a #2 hook and 1/4 oz slider. The usual short bass became a nuisance, which is fine with me. Catching is catching! However, I will say that the clueless/uneducated/rude boaters were out in force again. It is unbelievable how some people just do not understand some Basic concepts...unreal.

As I was having a conversation with the 40 ft sailboat, who approached us at a sandwedge (more like a lob wedge) distance...I was picked up by the right kind. On the Newell 229 and Calstar 870, the fight was on. Nice runs in the deeper water, so I kept the drag a bit looser than normal, which ended up working out.

View attachment 1151770

Another picture/same fish

View attachment 1151774

That would be the only yellow for the day, although we chummed and chummed and chummed. Could of looked around some more, but headed home around 1:30 in some tough conditions. Motored it back safely and thankful for another trip.

Whenever we catch 1 yellow (with no other bites), my Dad calls the fish a Shoe Salesman. Meaning, he was a lone fish going door-to-door...Well, I guess you had to be there.

Tight lines and all the best!

-Nick
Your Dad could sub as a photographer haha! His pics are always cyrstal clear and on point! Nice work and very nice YT!

Pgnracr

Sep 3, 2014
HB
Name
Jeff
Boat
Line up
Congrats! On a great day with your dad! Miss mine. Been 7 years already🙁 looks fun! One question? How do you eat a shoe salesman? Sashimi? Traeger grill?

Donkey Nick

Jul 16, 2012
Hollywood, CA, USA
Name
Nick Shamrock
Boat
Shamrock 246 Walkaround
Beautiful shots..... and a nice fish. Spent the day with pop..... had great bait....and he brought the lunch "spread". Great times in deed! Thanks for your post.

Don't take those trips for granted brother. Looking back when my dad was alive.... and actually capable of fishing himself.... reminds me that these trips are very "special".

Sorry to say they are "numbered".... but they truly are brother. His smile..... with you in that photo......says it ALL.

PRICELESS!

I'm envious brother.... yet very happy for the both of you. Keep sharing..... With him and us. I appreciate you brother. ... I'm sure he does too!

Be safe out there.
Thanks brother and I could not agree with you more. Take Care!