Catalina with the kids

LarryG

Sep 10, 2008
Los Angeles/CA/LA
Name
Laurence Glasser
Boat
48,Tollycraft,Adios
Sunday was rough, But fun. Planned to take the kids and my Dad out for pelagics between the 277 and 289. Sometime plans don’t work out.
Picked up 2 1/2 passes from MDR bait ($60+tip) at 5pm Saturday. Checked bait and 80% dead a few hours later. Same tank, usually get 2-3 days of life.
Left MDR at 2:30am and arrived to mildly sloppy seas at a The 277 around 6am. Looked in my tackle box and all cedar plugs missing? Now with 20 near dead sardines and no cedar, it’s decision time.
Run to backside of catalina and decide to fish the last few baits and troll if needed. Started at the V’s and a few of the other boats with bait are hooking Bonita and occasional small yellows. With four kids and dines that could barely swim it was tough. After two hours all bait was gone. Kids were pleading for rockfish or anything as back up.
Trolled with 15 lbs test on bass gear. They each got to fight their first “big” bonito and were screaming with excitement. Glad to see them happy we jammed back to MDR. All anglers from San Pedro to SD should appreciate what you have.
E72FD3A2-4695-4B62-9DD5-EE5F143F4310.jpeg
A22DB1DA-B10E-4E57-967F-5B228C7F4965.jpeg
A1BC350F-FF81-494F-B09D-88518721D21E.jpeg

tree3

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Sep 3, 2012
Alamitos Bay
Name
FL Jeff
Boat
Pathfinder 2400 TE
Yep. They’re big uns out there... had solid poke last night

RodRage

Share the stoke!
Sep 7, 2017
Surf City Ca.
Name
Huntington Hillbilly
Boat
Chaparral 224 Fisherman
Nice work dad!

gettingbentwithbo

Get Bent!
Mar 7, 2009
Riverside
gettingbentwithbo.com
Name
Bo
Boat
14' Starcraft SF SS
Why is the bait at MDR so bad?
I heard a report of Bait in SD not being that great either.. maybe it just happens to be this time of year. I have no idea.

sickcat

Silverback
Aug 5, 2003
LA
Name
Kerry
Boat
Yellow spot
WTG getting the kids pulling on fish!!!

Nice work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

LarryG

Sep 10, 2008
Los Angeles/CA/LA
Name
Laurence Glasser
Boat
48,Tollycraft,Adios
I have been boating out of MDR since the 70’s and often wonder why it seems less user friendly than the southern harbors. Fuel can be $1-3 more per gallon than San Pedro. Getting to fishing, beyond rockfish and bass requires longer runs.
In a way, I feel lucky to even have live bait. It definitely seemed better when we used to have two bait options in the harbor. This has been my experience, others may feel differently.
Thanks for all the love for kids fishing. It is awesome to see their excitement on these trips. Never seen so much dancing and screaming for 2-6 lbs. Bonita!
195E12E5-FF58-4FCB-BFE7-FB94FA1290FC.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: jiggermyster

MattFred1414

Jan 3, 2020
San Diego
Name
Matt
Boat
17ft Pro Steelheader
I heard a report of Bait in SD not being that great either.. maybe it just happens to be this time of year. I have no idea.
It’s been hit or miss with more misses than hits. Last week they only had jumbo dines that didn’t last. The average was 6-8”

when you say passes do you mean scoops?

MYNomad

Heading South
Dec 12, 2007
Pacific Northwest / West Coast Mexico
Name
Rick
Boat
Yes
I am not sure what the bait dock's hours are, but given your departure time, I suspect that you got bait the day before. The water has been so warm in the marina that you have to load the bait very lightly for them to make it through the night. BTW, I think my boat is pretty close to yours. -Rick

gettingbentwithbo

Get Bent!
Mar 7, 2009
Riverside
gettingbentwithbo.com
Name
Bo
Boat
14' Starcraft SF SS
It’s been hit or miss with more misses than hits. Last week they only had jumbo dines that didn’t last. The average was 6-8”

when you say passes do you mean scoops?
Did I say passes? But yes I would associate passes as the same thing as scoops. Passes of the net through the receiver "scoops"

LarryG

Sep 10, 2008
Los Angeles/CA/LA
Name
Laurence Glasser
Boat
48,Tollycraft,Adios
Hi Rick, we are at DRYC. Nice to hear from a neighbor.

When I went to the bait dock, I asked up front how many passes (actual nets being passed to me) were included in one scoop. Based on my memories from boating out of SD, a scoop was made up of multiple passes. I cant remember if it was 2, 3 or 4. At MDR bait dock I was told one pass equals one scoop. I think it was $30 a scoop.
As for timing we picked up bait at 5:30pm and left at 2am.
Yes, water in harbor was warm and dirty.

winnawinna17

the only thing worse than getting old... is not...
Apr 17, 2018
Los Angeles, California
Name
Tim
Boat
dreaming
Hey Larry

Im not sure if this will help. But for future references, have the kiddos take a look at the bait tank every now and then. Take the dead bait out. I was always told that the dead sardine spreads out a toxin that causes other sardines to die also. It might be like a domino effect one dead causes two dead etc..
Take the dead ones out and save them for chum later in a bucket or bag.

mullet

Metal Fabricator
Jan 10, 2006
San Fernando Valley
Name
Mike
Boat
19"Gregor
A scoop should be 10#s .Treating the bait gently they should take a few light passes to make up a scoop .
Del Rey power brails their bait which doesn't help either . Between that and the warm harbor water it takes a toll on the bait .
Sure do miss Larry and the Insiene bait co. they used to hand braile their bait . Superior by far .

Last edited:

Reel 007

Jun 12, 2006
Glendora Ca
Name
Leon
Boat
28 Wellcraft Coastal "vagabond'
Sure do miss Larry and the Insiene bait co. they used to hand braile their bait . Superior by far .
Why did Insiene bait co leave MDR?.

Reel 007

Jun 12, 2006
Glendora Ca
Name
Leon
Boat
28 Wellcraft Coastal "vagabond'
Think it had a bit to do with property values . Only reason he survived as long as he did was the budists buying the bait and releasing it .
Mike, I was under the impression the bait pens were a part of the fuel dock.

mullet

Metal Fabricator
Jan 10, 2006
San Fernando Valley
Name
Mike
Boat
19"Gregor
Mike, I was under the impression the bait pens were a part of the fuel dock.
Nope different concessions . Sometimes they sold bait if Mike and Larry weren't around . I think the marina kept jackin the lease because of greed and they really didn't want a reciever there any more .