Islands Catalina with a side of bluefin (not)

Mr. Jones

Almost A Member
May 9, 2020
Orange County
Name
Ronnie Jones
Boat
Seaswirl 2901
Decided to hit Catalina and avoid some of the tuna crowds today. Tried the back side for nothing. Came around the front and did pretty well on barracuda.

On the way home, saw some birds on radar and decided to check it out. Realize that this could be an area of bluefin outside the rigs, we started running and gunning as soon as we started seeing boils. Although we were the only boat out there, somehow 5 to 7 boats showed quickly. Most annoying was a rigid inflatable that seem to have no problems running through the fish, although I don't know if it mattered because even when he wasn't there nobody was catching anything.

We had the fish boiling around us, good 75 to 100 pounders. Only a few boat lengths away. We tried everything, flat falls, poppers of various sizes, sardines, blue and white surface irons, mint surface irons, waxwings. None of them could get bit despite these beautiful fish within bow and arrow range of the boat.

bazzturd

I fish in the ocean, not the internet
Aug 7, 2008
Westminster, CA
Name
Brian
Boat
2005 Grady White Seafarer 228 (no name yet)
Decided to hit Catalina and avoid some of the tuna crowds today. Tried the back side for nothing. Came around the front and did pretty well on barracuda.

On the way home, saw some birds on radar and decided to check it out. Realize that this could be an area of bluefin outside the rigs, we started running and gunning as soon as we started seeing boils. Although we were the only boat out there, somehow 5 to 7 boats showed quickly. Most annoying was a rigid inflatable that seem to have no problems running through the fish, although I don't know if it mattered because even when he wasn't there nobody was catching anything.

We had the fish boiling around us, good 75 to 100 pounders. Only a few boat lengths away. We tried everything, flat falls, poppers of various sizes, sardines, blue and white surface irons, mint surface irons, waxwings. None of them could get bit despite these beautiful fish within bow and arrow range of the boat.
Maybe @Galt was your rib trucking over your schools. Looks like the type.

Upvote 0

jbl_91762

Sep 23, 2017
CHINO
Name
JOEY
Boat
KAYAK
At least you saw action! My plans backfired to trailer down to SD and fish for nada. Forgive the rookie question but has anyone thrown a large swimbait or even a large Hookup bait at the boils since you threw everything else into a boil and nothing worked? Just wondering.

Upvote 0

Mr. Jones

Almost A Member
May 9, 2020
Orange County
Name
Ronnie Jones
Boat
Seaswirl 2901
We avoided the Tuna party because the of the impending frustration, only to bump into them in the channel and get frustrated for 2.5 hours. Whatever they were eating was scaly, I saw the remnants after they would sink out.

Maybe if I had anchovies as bait or used some of my small anchovy lures...or maybe something flashy like a spoon. But the hooks on those are setup for something small than 100lbs bluefin.

The other option would have been to just flat out dump the bait tank, bit they weren't hitting sardines on 20lbs line so I don't know if that would have been effective.

I can't remember where I saw this, but a guy had rigged up what looked like a freshwater bass lure with big hooks and said it worked.

The only times I've ever caught real big bluefin like that were on the yummy flier on a 6 pack (Reel Champion) and on a Salas 6X. Didn't have the flier but these ones didn't want the salas.

Reactions: onehottip