Well-Known "Member"
May 9, 2020
Orange County
Name
Ronnie Jones
Boat
Seaswirl 2901
UPDATE

Headed to two harbors at Cat Thurs from Newport. Stopped on some paddies but no luck. Trolled Round the highspot with live dines for no luck. Switch to xraps and got some nice bonito, some smalls and a few 5-10lbs.

Moored up in two harbors and paddled around on the paddle board slow trolling dines for some barracuda. Came out later in the dinghy and there were boiling barracuda near the high spot. It was like tiny foamers galore outside the harbor and around the high spot. Got some calico too. They liked green wax wings.

Got a nice halibut outside the harbor.

Friday trolled rapalas and dines for more bones. Good size ones close to the harbor. Didn't see any more barracuda though. Tons of fun.

Came home Sat AM. Flat calm but 20+miles of dense fog.

[ATTA

IMG_20201031_094742045.jpg

32211.jpeg

32210.jpeg

Last edited:

onehottip

I've posted enough I should edit this section
May 8, 2006
So cal
Name
Guerms
Boat
18.5 Wahoo cc , Evinrude Etec V6 135 HO
That sounds perfect!

Mr. Jones

Well-Known "Member"
May 9, 2020
Orange County
Name
Ronnie Jones
Boat
Seaswirl 2901
Radar schmadar.

(but yes it was on, felt safer with it but there's always room to slow)

Last edited:

Mr. Jones

Well-Known "Member"
May 9, 2020
Orange County
Name
Ronnie Jones
Boat
Seaswirl 2901
Typical weekend warriors, Haulin ass through dense fog, :ashamed:Does radar pick up paddle boarders?
Yes, it does pick up paddle boarders, buoys, etc. It does so with surprising resolution, really the only reason I chose it.

I love the weekend warrior comment! It exudes originality!

What is the proverbial safe speed here? Is it a straight number? Asking for a friend.

:appl::daman:

Last edited:

mhanson59hb

Fear No Fish
Apr 22, 2013
Huntington Beach
Name
Mike
Boat
2008 Trophy 1802 "Mako My Day"
Just wondering how many dumb-ass paddle boarders lurking in the middle of the channel in dense fog have you guys encountered? :D

I have never seen one. Wait.... What was that thump on my hull? Hmmmmm..... :eek:

All kidding aside, thanks for the report!

neil c

Fish Killing Fool
Mar 28, 2011
long beach / rainbow harbor / shoreline village
Name
neil
Boat
34 Radovich/ Four Reel Sportfishing
Just wondering how many dumb-ass paddle boarders lurking in the middle of the channel in dense fog have you guys encountered? :D

I have never seen one. Wait.... What was that thump on my hull? Hmmmmm..... :eek:

All kidding aside, thanks for the report!
Not to mention any names because he is on this forum but yes there are dumb ass paddle boarders in the fog but not in the middle of the channel like you said. I was out a few years ago coming in to pick up a charter after getting bait from nacho and I noticed a mark on my radar hauling ass. I stopped and he flew rite past me. I was going into the harbor entrance and he missed his entrance. He went into Alamitos bay instead of HB and flew back out missing me and 2 paddle boarders by at least 40 ft. One of the paddle boarders had a dog on it also. Both the boater and the paddle boarders where in the wrong in my opinion. When your in the harbor in the fog slow down because there are people in the fog in small boats and paddle boarders that do not have radar. As I am getting older and wiser, "I hope," I have learned that taking a risk of hauling ass at night or in the fog is not worth risking my life or my passengers just for a day of boating. Getting there 30 minutes later could save a life. Anyways, sounds like a fun few days in Catalina for ya. I need a vacation!!

Last edited:

PacificPredator

Captain
Dec 9, 2010
LBC
Name
Brad
Boat
29' Phoenix Sportfisher
10 lb Bonito? o_O

Reactions: Tin Pangas

skifisher

Jan 9, 2007
So Cal
Name
Paul
Boat
Skipjack 24FB
Yes, it does pick up paddle boarders, buoys, etc. It does so with surprising resolution, really the only reason I chose it.

I love the weekend warrior comment! It exudes originality!

What is the proverbial safe speed here? Is it a straight number? Asking for a friend.

:appl::daman:
The proverbial safe speed is calculated by the following formula: How fast do you want to be going when you hit something?

Hooops

Nov 26, 2005
Huntington Harbour
Name
Hoops
Boat
17ft Whaler Montauk - "TYFISH"
outriggers in the dense fog every weekend morning lately

Tin Pangas

Skipper
Aug 28, 2010
Norwalk, Ca U.S.A.
Name
Kevin
Boat
37 Tollycraft
UPDATE

Headed to two harbors at Cat Thurs from Newport. Stopped on some paddies but no luck. Trolled Round the highspot with live dines for no luck. Switch to xraps and got some nice bonito, some smalls and a few 5-10lbs.

Moored up in two harbors and paddled around on the paddle board slow trolling dines for some barracuda. Came out later in the dinghy and there were boiling barracuda near the high spot. It was like tiny foamers galore outside the harbor and around the high spot. Got some calico too. They liked green wax wings.

Got a nice halibut outside the harbor.

Friday trolled rapalas and dines for more bones. Good size ones close to the harbor. Didn't see any more barracuda though. Tons of fun.

Came home Sat AM. Flat calm but 20+miles of dense fog.

[ATTA

View attachment 1219115

View attachment 1219247

View attachment 1219248
if you caught a 10lb. bonito..why take a pic of a 3lb. bonito? 10lb. bonito is HUGE!!!

PacificPredator

Captain
Dec 9, 2010
LBC
Name
Brad
Boat
29' Phoenix Sportfisher

MILLBRO

Jul 26, 2006
alpine
Name
JERRY
Boat
Grady White seafarer 228
What’s the scene for mooring in two harbors? Do you need a reservation?

SemperFi75

Jun 13, 2017
San Pedro
Name
SemperFi75
Boat
Semper Fidos
What’s the scene for mooring in two harbors? Do you need a reservation?
Just did our maiden voyage to Catalina.
We anchored for the day in Little Fisherman’s Cove and for the weekend in Ripper’s Cove.
Mooring field at Two Harbors and Avalon as we cruised past in the trip home.

Attachments

THE GRAYS

Oct 20, 2006
Redlands
Name
The Grays
Boat
2021 Parker 2320
Thanks for the report, the fog has been brutal this year!
We had barracuda boiling under our mooring last trip to Two Harbors, strange to see them inside the harbor.

jeffdalton

"Well Known" Member
Aug 16, 2005
Long Beach, CA
Name
Jeff Dalton
Boat
21' Parker/Stealth Stix
Not to mention any names because he is on this forum but yes there are dumb ass paddle boarders in the fog but not in the middle of the channel like you said. I was out a few years ago coming in to pick up a charter after getting bait from nacho and I noticed a mark on my radar hauling ass. I stopped and he flew rite past me. I was going into the harbor entrance and he missed his entrance. He went into Alamitos bay instead of HB and flew back out missing me and 2 paddle boarders by at least 40 ft. One of the paddle boarders had a dog on it also. Both the boater and the paddle boarders where in the wrong in my opinion. When your in the harbor in the fog slow down because there are people in the fog in small boats and paddle boarders that do not have radar. As I am getting older and wiser, "I hope," I have learned that taking a risk of hauling ass at night or in the fog is not worth risking my life or my passengers just for a day of boating. Getting there 30 minutes later could save a life. Anyways, sounds like a fun few days in Catalina for ya. I need a vacation!!
Wise words indeed.

Reactions: kevina