“Where have all the yellows gone?
    At me, they’re laughing…
    Where do all the yellows go?
    When South Easter’s blow…
    Where have all the yellows gone?
    In my kill bag, not a one…
    When will I ever learn?
    When will I ever learn?”

Pineapple Express weather patterns. I hate ‘em. But we went anyway. Never again (yeah, right). At least I am not bitter! :D

My son Sean and I launched from Huntington Harbor on Monday. Picked up a scoop of kraken squid from Nacho and crossed to Red Rock in fairly calm conditions. Drifting squid, fly-lined and dropper loop, got a couple in short biters, probably calicos, but nothing stuck. We slow trolled smelt to Empire and back for zippo.

Heading to the East End, the south-east winds started howling as we got to the slide area, along with water temps dropping rapidly. No Bueno. U-Turn, heading back to the west. Jet skiers were tearing it up between Frog and Whites, so we didn’t even bother. Back between the MLPAs, there were a few sporties and private boats on the hook. No one was bendo. Guys we talked to said yellows were a no show. We tried for a bit. They were right.

Heading west, we hit our rockfish spot for a smaller red and a whitefish, both descended. Slow trolling to the West End produced nothing. Hitting up a few beaches on the backside got us into some halibut, but the biggest was 21 ¾ inches. Enough to piss off the good humor man, Captain Kangaroo and Mr. Rogers at the same time. We anchored up in Cat Harbor that night, where Sean loaded the tank with perfect trolling size Spanish mackies and released a bunch of pencil barracuda.

Tuesday morning was semi-calm, so we worked east to Freddy's beach for one short halibut, until the wind blew us off the spot again. Heading back around China point, we hit up Mills Landing, the Soup Bowl and other beaches for nothing. Slow trolling mackies past Shark Harbor was a bust. We made a few drifts in Cat Harbor, where I finally get hit by something with size, but it came unbuttoned quickly. Sean released a small shark.

Slow trolling from the West End to Parsons was a waste of time. Hitting up the rock fish spot again produced a 3-pound red for Sean. Finally on the board! We picked up a spot on the string line at Two Harbors for a quick nap, and then slow trolled Empire until sunset. Same ol’ song and dance. I had more than a few cocktails that evening.
    :cheers:

Wednesday morning, a last gasp attempt at rock fish produced 4- and 5-pound reds for Sean. I released a short calico. At least we have enough for a fish fry. To say the fishing was tough is a huge understatement. We did not see, nor hear of, anyone catching a yellow. I hope someone did.

I’m sure the bite will come back shortly, maybe in time for the 4th of July weekend.

Stay safe out there and good luck!

Sean's on the board red:
    DSCN1804.JPG

Toad!
    DSCN1805.JPG

nefarious235

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Aug 1, 2008
    Proudly American
    Name
    Dan
    Boat
    canoe & plastic flotsam
    I feel your pain... Again

Reactions: mhanson59hb
    Upvote 0

surfgoose

active geezer
  • Jul 29, 2010
    Long Beach, CA, USA
    Name
    Gary
    Boat
    whichever has the longest bunk
    Sorry that you had to go home Wednesday morning. I was there on the Triton, we fished the front side in a half-dozen places and saw yellowtail but they were pretty spooky. I got a smaller one, maybe six pounds, on an underspin jig about 9am and an hour later another angler got a good one, about twenty pounds, on a tube lure. Another was lost. Several other sporties tagged a few. So the weather is turning around and the fishing with it. You'll do better next trip!

Upvote 0

invictus

AVD
    May 26, 2006
    Orange County
    Name
    Jason
    Boat
    Tiara 2000 Cuddy
    We took the family for two nights. Weather was not good, southern eddie, wind, overcast. Today was nice on the way in.

Solid Reds!

Upvote 0

Ryan_J

Apr 5, 2013
    Long Beach, CA
    Name
    Ryan
    Boat
    Jupiter 31 - twin Yamaha F300's
    Cat has been brutal to me this year as well. Last week I had high hopes with a tank full of squid expecting wide open calico and we could hardly scratch out 4 or 5 all day. We covered from Church Rock up the front to Eagle Reef and couldn't find a spot with any current. Feelin your pain Brother!

-Ryan

Upvote 0

Wasitrytofish

May 1, 2012
    Monrovia ca united states
    Name
    Glen Mitchell
    Boat
    Sea Fox 248 Commander
    Cat has been brutal to me this year as well. Last week I had high hopes with a tank full of squid expecting wide open calico and we could hardly scratch out 4 or 5 all day. We covered from Church Rock up the front to Eagle Reef and couldn't find a spot with any current. Feelin your pain Brother!

-Ryan
    Same for me yesterday. It was SLOW…

Upvote 0