Catalina Rockfish 5-30-18

Discussion in 'Southern California Inshore & Islands Fish Reports' started by Killerskiff, May 30, 2018.

1. Killerskiff

Killerskiff The end is near

Name:
    JD
    Boat:
    Obliviousone
    Launched at 6:00 A.M. at Davies, picked up some large deans just in case but not really utilized (waste of money). Hit the west end for two limits of decent rockfish that ate the frozen squid (as usual). All went 1-4 pounds with mostly coppers, reds and two sammies. Usually limit out in an hour but we had to work pretty hard for it today because a screaming current was going with the wind. It was cold and drizzled till about 10:00 A.M. with a shitty mixed chop suey swell and a SE wind all day long that blew between 5-15 MPH that was capping at times. Mid channel to the island the water was clean from 64-65 degrees but pretty dirty inside both coming and going. Weather is supposed to pick back up again for several days but what else is new.

We worked our way down the front side and hit several spots in search of surface action to no avail. Johnson, Starlight, Eagle Reef, Ship Rock, West Cove to name a few. Saw the Pursuit and Sport King metering around in the morning when they turned the corner at the West End on down to Iron Bound but neither stopped. Current was running uphill all day in conjunction with the mixed swell and SE wind equaled shitty conditions. Finished up at Hen Rock for a few two pound Bonito and called it a day with shitty ride home. The PMFC guys at the ramp measured our fish and reported to have seen only a few bass at about 4:00 P.M. Few boats were seen locally including the island with only a dozen trailers in the lot, on a side note the seal population is beyond out of control, those fuckers are everywhere!

fish 003.JPG fish 004.JPG

2. mhanson59hb

mhanson59hb Fear No Fish

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    2008 Trophy 1802 "Mako My Day"
    Thanks for the report and good job on some nice taco stuffers. Taking my son over to Cat for a 3 night trip in a couple of weeks, so hopefully weather will get better!

3. Tunaslam

Tunaslam I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Cory Visser
    Boat:
    N/A
    Nice day of taco fishing, congrats!

4. Killerskiff

Name:
    JD
    Boat:
    Obliviousone
    Only thing that's consistent for sure and fishing is fun, but for table fare it's hard to beat the rock fish.

5. Killerskiff

Name:
    JD
    Boat:
    Obliviousone
    Hope it lays down for you, thanks.

6. i snag for food

i snag for food Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Vic
    Boat:
    Wellcraft Bay 195
    Thanks for the report. Well detailed, got some valuable info...