Catalina Report and Lucky Rental Skiff 8/18

Discussion in 'Southern California Inshore & Islands Fish Reports' started by splashy77, Aug 19, 2019.

1. splashy77

splashy77 Member

Name:
    Daniel
    Boat:
    Hasbro's Timon and Pumba pool floatie
    Headed down to the boat Saturday around noon. Wasn''t sure what I was going to do as reports and past few trips to Cat have been on the slow side. So we sat on the boat all day Saturday with some "dock"tails and dicked around with some bay bass and halibut in between the docks. Went to bed and got up at 530 am Sunday and headed for the fuel dock. After that we grabbed a half a scoop from Mike at SPB which were 50/50 on rollies and green lanterns. Still wasn't sure what the hell I wanted to do as I left Angel's GAte..
    Pointed the bow at the 14 and charged, dead. From there we shot out towards Clemente until we got out with all the other guys looking for tuna, lots of life, birds dolphin etc..couple of baity paddies no takers.
    Headed in towards the V's and looked around, dead. Came around the corner and there were a lot of boats all over Lighthouse/Seal rocks. Kept on around to the slide and up to the dump for a small bonito and one c***sucker of a SeaLion.
    Blew past Avalon and a few Parasailors and slid into Frog.
    First bait in the water was instantly bit on my Calstar 800XL Trinidad 12a and 50lb braid to 25lb flouro. Nice little battle and gaffed a 15er onto the deck.
    Cool deal, no one saw either. In fact, another boat was pulling anchor and left right as it happened too. Then it was game on! The meter lit up and the pigs rolled through! Big! Big Yellows! I was absolutely smoked on a few bigger models. Switched to 40lb, they didn't touch it, switched to 30lb, middle finger as well. As soon as I went back to 25 lb, bam, put another 15er on the deck.
    Just then an Avalon Rental skiff comes down the line. A dad with his daughter and wife out for a boat ride and a long spinning outfit, dragging a (you guessed it!) mackerel pattern Rapala. Well, he hooks up and from the fight and the skiff being spun in circles, I can tell he's hooked one of these monster Yellows that were bullying through the area.
    I yell over to him "do you guys need a gaff?" He thinks about it for a second and says "UM YEAH!"
    My new boat has the "joystick" control which if you've ever had the chance to play with is just fucking TITS fun! We were able to maneuver over and pass his wife our gaff with ease and not run his line over, we put out our googan bumpers out all the same though, a must do at Cat these days! Sometimes i'll do it just to piss people off, right Shannon? HAHAHA! Anyways, Dad sticks this fucking beast and we all cheered! A truly remarkable skiff rental if I do say so myself. I thought of Quint in Jaws when he says "The taxidermist is gunna shit when he see's what I brung' em!"
    Dad offered me his fish as he explained that they were on vacation and staying at a hotel in Avalon. I told him where he could go and who he could talk to about having it butchered and bagged with a generous donation of half his fish. So he kept it! We exchanged smiles of gratitude when I took back my gaff as the adrenaline rush was wearing off. Nice to come across nice people every now and then, I think he said his name was Jim. So Jim, if you read this, here's to one hell of a tanker yellow on a spinning rod, on a rental skiff, while out for spin with your girls! HAt's off to ya buddy. Enjoy that fish and the story for life. Fish was a fricken 35-40lber. And there were more of them too! The Freelance, the Patriot and the Aggressor all rolled in around the same time and I figured it was time to get out of there. Beautiful weather, calm seas, 40-45mph back across, back to Cabrillo in about 35 minutes.
    Weird game plan paid off for me. Definitely saw some better action and conditions at Cat this Sunday. Better late than never..
    You can fish Cat on the weekends if your mind set is already prepared for the shitshow. Hope this helps.

yellowtail pics.jpeg Resized_Resized_20190818_110702(0)_647211538772847_21187092074300.jpeg Resized_20190818_114313_21112745497765001.jpeg

2. Capt.C.Delany

Capt.C.Delany Club a Sea Lion, not a Sandwich.

Name:
    Hugh Jassole / The Porcelain Punisher
    Boat:
    Paddy Wagon 24' Skippy
    Thats awesome. Hopefully you were able to send that picture to him, a vacation I am sure he nor his family will soon forget!

muletrain likes this.
  3. hbouldin1216

hbouldin1216 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Henry Bouldin
    Boat:
    14 Gregor - Tinacious
    Nice day!! Daughters face says it all...good karma coming your way for that!

EDIT: The only thing keeping this post from perfection is that we didn't get a better pic of the wife. You couldn't have joysticked into a better angle for us?!

Last edited: Aug 20, 2019
  4. Paddyman1

Paddyman1 I love pangas

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    N/A
    Awesome! I was at Cat last week for a few days and the flotilla was focused just south of Avalon before the freight docks.

5. Blackfish

Blackfish Fishing, a perpetual series of occasions for hope.

Name:
    Lee Obvious
    Boat:
    50' Hatteras
    Great post and nice job helping that dad get the fish on the boat.

muletrain likes this.
  6. SouthBayKiller

SouthBayKiller I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Robert
    Boat:
    none
    Great report!

7. chiefen

chiefen Member

Name:
    jake
    Boat:
    parker 2320sl
    Nice job! Thats funny, we were actually anchored up about a 150 yards west of frog rock yesterday morning from 7am until about 830 for not a single bite and weird conditions with wind against current and decided to bail and go west for some bass here and there but no yellows. Guess i shoulda waited it out.

8. splashy77

splashy77 Member

Name:
    Daniel
    Boat:
    Hasbro's Timon and Pumba pool floatie
    Makes sense. Conditions were "right" around 11-1pm . The backside looked like poop soup

chiefen likes this.
  9. Hooops

Hooops I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Hoops
    Boat:
    17ft Whaler Montauk - "TYFISH"
    That's awesome - have a feeling that family will continue to vacation and rent skiffs in Avalon for years to come.

onehottip likes this.
  10. MItoCali

MItoCali Member

Name:
    Stephen
    Boat:
    Pursuit Express 3000 Bella Mare
    What a hog!

11. Ryan_Thomas

Ryan_Thomas Newbie

Name:
    ¥
    Boat:
    Boston Whaler
    Fished that whole zone yesterday from 7:30 - 3pm flying sardines and not even a sniff of a Yellow but what a beautiful day to be on the ocean yesterday!

12. Charles Wilkins

Charles Wilkins Newbie

Name:
    Charlie Wilkins
    Boat:
    Lowe 1650
    Great story!

13. mhanson59hb

mhanson59hb Fear No Fish

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    2008 Trophy 1802 "Mako My Day"
    That is so cool. Girl looks stoked to the moon!

14. slydawg

slydawg Always wishin' I was fishin'

Name:
    Billy
    Boat:
    WWW - 25’ Proline
    Awesome!! Good karma heading your way!

Rmtlaw likes this.
  15. Kaanapali

Kaanapali Newbie

Name:
    Rich Holdaway
    Boat:
    Robalo 225
    Great report! Where did you send him for fish processing at Avalon?

16. dctalk523

dctalk523 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    ChoeMan
    Boat:
    Never
  17. flyliner

flyliner @thereelflyliner

Name:
    Jonathan
    Boat:
    31' Cabo Express
    That's awesome. Great day for you and awesome big yellowtial for that guy and his family. I must say, I've had some pretty incredible luck on the Avalon rental skiffs over the years as well, including dorado and a few big makos that bit trolled rapalas.

By the way - did you hear about the local Avalon guy that landed a 175 pound swordfish fishing solo on a little skiff like that this past Saturday? Crazy.

18. AndyJ

AndyJ Undocumented "Member"

Name:
    Andy Jakubas
    Boat:
    18.5 Cobalt
    Crazy. Great story and love the rental skiff color scheme. Can't miss them that's for sure.

19. twice bit

twice bit Member

Name:
    Mike Hill
    Boat:
    21FT Wellcraft Fisherman
    Very cool story and well written. Thanks for sharing.

20. clevel

clevel Captain in Learning

Name:
    Cabo Jack
    Boat:
    Cobia 261
    You know I think those vacationers are going to come back to the friendly waters for another try at the big one! Way to go! Nice boat too! No ...not the yellow one, the big Whaler! LOL.