Catalina Report 8/1 to 8/3

Discussion in 'Southern California Inshore & Islands Fish Reports' started by mhanson59hb, Aug 4, 2016.

1. mhanson59hb

mhanson59hb Fear No Fish

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    2008 Trophy 1802 "Mako My Day"
    I took my son Sean over to Catalina for a few days starting Monday. We picked up some small sardines from Nacho, made about a dozen troller size mackerel and headed out to see if we could find any kelp paddies. The sea was a smooth as it gets. There was some life at the rigs and the water was blue and 73.5, but no fish. At the Avalon bank it was 75 but the water was on the green side with no life and no paddies so we decided to hit the back side.

Starting at Silver Canyon with the wind, we slow trolled some large green backs for what seemed like hours before getting zinged – and I released a 5 pound yellow. OK, there are some fish here. We trolled for a while for no strikes, so we headed up to Salta Verde where we found WFO bonito and bass fly-lining the small sardines – all released except one bone that was hooked in the gills.

After our fill of those fun fish we put out the trollers again. About an hour later at the Palisades my reel starts screaming the real deal – this is a good one that ate a 10 inch greenback. Sean clears the other lines and motors us out into deeper water. The fish keeps making run after run – he does not want anything to do with the boat. Every time I get him close, he takes off again! Finally I get him in range, and Sean hits a gaff shot on the 1st try and an 18 pound yellowtail hits the deck. This guy definitely fought bigger than he was – all heart!

After the high 5s, I realize that the new GoPro I just bought is not set up. Dumb. Oh well, photos will have to do. We quickly get it into filming position off we go. After a while I get hit again, and this time we film the catch and release of a 6 pound yellow. We’ll have to see if it came out OK. We caught one more mini yellow that attacked a mackerel that was almost as big as he was. Aggressive little dudes!

Out of bait, we went in search of some. Right before dark we put some 12 to 14 inch green backs in the tank, and moored up that night in Avalon. By the way, the water temp was an incredible 79.5 out in front of Avalon – but there was an algae bloom making the water dirty. That’s the highest I have seen the temp in over 20 years.

Tuesday morning we are back at it early at the Palisades, but our bait is just a bit too big. We are hoping for a bigger model yellow to show – but it’s not to be. We make the call to head to the Isthmus to find some cleaner water. We trolled at Empire for nothing, and then headed over to our rock fish spot – again for nothing except white fish. They must be out deeper somewhere.

This is where I want to give a shout out to the courteous captain of the Pursuit who steamed by 25 feet off my port side while we were drifting. The whole ocean, not another boat around, he just had to do it. The deck hands were laughing so I said “Hey, do you think you can get any closer?” They were so close, they could hear me over their engine. One genius says “Sure, we can do circles around you, you’re only catching mackerel.” We flip him the one finger salute and the captain comes on the PA and tells me to get a haircut (OK – that was funny – even I had to laugh). Dude must have been pissed from stuffing the sacks with 4 pound yellows and blue perch to jack the counts and filet money up.

After trolling Empire some more for nothing, we picked up a mooring at Two Harbors, went for swim and I had (more than) a few well deserved drinks before dinner. Wednesday morning I rigged up the bonito on a Bait O’Matic and we trolled for makos off the Island and at the oil rigs. We found some dolphins, but no sharks. Again, it was as calm as the ocean gets on the way back.

My suggestion for anyone heading over is to tank up on the troller size mackies at the bait barge. It’s real hard to catch any decent bait over there. Good luck and be safe!

My 18 pound yellowtail. Pretty nice mackerel, isn't it Pursuit?
    DSCN1445.JPG

Last edited: Aug 6, 2016
    jaw1970, kbray001, SoCalAvet and 9 others like this.
  2. i snag for food

i snag for food Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Vic
    Boat:
    Wellcraft Bay 195
    Happened more than once to about the pursuit.

Thanks for the report I will be out there soon...

mhanson59hb likes this.
  3. surfgoose

surfgoose active geezer

Name:
    Gary
    Boat:
    whichever has the longest bunk
    Very nice yellowtail, and a couple of good days with your son. Great report!

mhanson59hb likes this.
  4. RyanErb

RyanErb Love to fish!

Name:
    Ryan
    Boat:
    OnTheWater
    Great report! Nice fish, especially when there are so many rats out there!

mhanson59hb likes this.
  5. mshsu

mshsu Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Ming
    Boat:
    Sea Hunt 17cc
    Nice fish! That must be really fun to spend multiple days at the island like that. Thanks for the good intel.

mhanson59hb and bparker1225 like this.
  6. mandoman68

mandoman68 Big Loco

Name:
    Mandoman
    Boat:
    Kathleen
    I got a beer bottle full of piss for the PURSUIT but for some reason he always steers clear of me. Smart .

antdog562 and mhanson59hb like this.
  7. jeffdalton

jeffdalton "Well Known" Member

Name:
    Jeff Dalton
    Boat:
    21' Parker/Stealth Stix
    I was fishing the Eagle Rock a few weeks back and the Pursuit pulled up and anchored within casting distance. I said nothing and nor did he.....it's a waste of time arguing with these guys. Unless of course you like 75 passengers yelling at you too. I find it more peaceful to simply keep fishing and not worry about such things. Why let a jackass ruin your day??

40Grit, mandoman68 and mhanson59hb like this.
  8. mhanson59hb

mhanson59hb Fear No Fish

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    I just find it hilariously hypocritical that these type of so-called "captains" are the ones whose sphincters go into automatic vapor lock if you are within a 1000 feet of them - even if you were there first - and don't have a second thought about charging by 25 feet from you at 10 knots, putting up huge wakes, ruining your chum line or trolling spread.

It's one thing to quietly pull up to a spot - it's another thing to almost run someone down. It's just plain dangerous, and I am going to say something every time. If they want respect, they need to give respect. I don't go any where near these ass-hats, and did nothing to provoke it then or ever. The passengers never said a word, they were like WTF?

He may be a jackass - but definitely did not ruin my day, I had my fish in the hold and everything else was all good.

40Grit and fish&snow like this.
  9. tony_90744

tony_90744 Newbie

Name:
    Antonio Castrellon
    Boat:
    1988 Seaswirl Sable
    The pursuit is the one boat i vowed never to go on again. There whole operation is screewed up. Those deck hands need to go down to san diego and look at how real deck hands behave. The pursuit is one of the reasons i decided to buy my own boat. And even then i had 1 bad experience with him anchoring 25feet infront of me. The only good part about that is that i had already picked up some nice yellows and was on my way to look for more. I stayed for a few min just to see them crazy tangles. Lol.

mhanson59hb likes this.
  10. mhanson59hb

mhanson59hb Fear No Fish

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    Thanks! It is really nice to be over there for a few days. First, you get to cover more water just because you have more time. 2nd, it takes just as much prep and clean up work going to the Island for 1 day as it does for 3 days. 3rd - you can come home in the morning and not get beat up! Good luck to you!

11. tplass

tplass Member

Name:
    Tom
    Boat:
    Yak
    NIce work Mike! Saw you guys cleaning down the boat and meant to swing by..
    great report and info :hali_olutta:

mhanson59hb likes this.
  12. jeffdalton

jeffdalton "Well Known" Member

Name:
    Jeff Dalton
    Boat:
    21' Parker/Stealth Stix
    Yes its absolutely hypocritical, but I've been fishing too long and some things never change. I think it kind of annoys them more when you ignore them and keep on fishing. Truth is, I can deal with the sportos, its the PB'ers offshore that drive me crazy. Try fishing a paddy to yourself these days....good luck!!!

monster1 and mhanson59hb like this.
  13. bbales

bbales Newbie

Name:
    Brian Bales
    Boat:
    17' Boston Whaler Montauk
    Great job on the yellow, and I've heard from multiple other landings that the captain of the Pursuit is a total airhead.

mhanson59hb likes this.
  14. Paddyman1

Paddyman1 I love pangas

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    N/A
    Nice post, Mike! Beautiful YT. Sorry about the encounter with an irritated human. Hate that shit when it happens. It's focking everywhere these days.

At least you have hair to cut. :daman: Again, awesome YT!

mhanson59hb likes this.
  15. South County

South County Newbie

Name:
    Jason
    Boat:
    17' Lowe
    Well played SIR. Thank you for the report, and keep on rocking the hair the Cpt of the Pursuit is probably bald. "Hater party of 1 your table is ready" Be safe thank you for the report:rockin:

mhanson59hb likes this.
  16. monster1

monster1 Typical striper owner

Name:
    Monster
    Boat:
    Yep
    Get a haircut hippie!LOL

mhanson59hb likes this.
  17. mhanson59hb

mhanson59hb Fear No Fish

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    Too funny. However, I prefer the term "rocker"! :D I used to play lead guitar in a metal band in the late 80s / early 90s (25 years and 50 pounds ago) - just can't seem to let go of that era!
    :git:

ogirstein and reelbigbro like this.
  18. tree3

tree3 Member

Name:
    FL Jeff
    Boat:
    Pathfinder 24 Tournament
    Thank you for great report. Nice fish!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mhanson59hb likes this.
  19. monster1

monster1 Typical striper owner

Name:
    Monster
    Boat:
    Yep
    Me neither man. My xm radio is glued to hair nation. Lol. Btw, my thoughts exactly on going to the island and spending a few days there. I did my first overnighter to cat and spent the night inside of the east end last year and it was the best time ever. I plan on doing a couple nights at the end of the month. Closest to heaven I've ever been.

mhanson59hb likes this.
  20. hbdee

hbdee Newbie

Name:
    Don
    Boat:
    n/a
    dam hippy take me fishing

mhanson59hb likes this.