Donkey Nick

Jul 16, 2012
Hollywood, CA, USA
Name
Nick Shamrock
Boat
Shamrock 246 Walkaround
Greetings Everyone.

I've posted on this forum for about 6 years, try to report and//or tell a story when possible and appreciate all of the intel. The last few years, I've seen More than my share of idiot/clueless/ignorant/selfish boaters (especially at Catalina on the weekend), but I've never posted about it or shown pics. It's not that bad and completely understandable when an inexperienced person (for example a family with kids out for a cruise or a dinghy coming from a mooring) runs across your chum line. It's also totally cool and appreciated when a fellow boater realizes they chose the wrong path and immediately communicates to you with a thumbs up, hand wave or quick shout out on 72...mutual respect and all is good. I've been guilty of that and I know I've made plenty of my own mistakes (try to learn fro them). BUT...Completely different story when a Clown, selfishly and intentionally displays disrespect and lack of ANY common courtesy, which is what occurred yesterday.

Short Story Fish Report:
Left Cabrillo with 85 y/o Pop at 5:30 AM. Hit up SP bait and 1 hour later at the island. Fished Empire to Indian Rock. Mixed seas for the crossing, weather laid down throughout the day and summer-like conditions as the day went on. Temp went from 63.5 to 67 (yep) moving west. Fished until 4pm and had the B's up and boiling on every spot (with a little chum). Fished 20lb flouro, #2 hook, Small/med sardine and cut up squid for chum. Fished from 50-100ft and the bite was consistent at all depths, Lot's of shorts and a small (released) YT caught 1st thing in the morning... before the Moron Googan of the day killed the bite.

Moron Googan Report:
Reached the island and was the 2nd boat at a well known spot. Metered around (well outside) of a someone close to the island fishing tight to the rocks. Threw the anchor in 90ft and the uphill current layed (laid?) us perfectly into the island. Start chumming and the fish react. B's start coming up and we have a steady (almost every cast) bite going with fish boiling in the chum. Another vessel (Skipjack in the pictures) nestles himself in at a respectable distance and the bite continues. The fish are surrounded by the 3 boats and a 4th boat anchors up on our Starboard side bow. So, now the 4 of us have a nice little bite going and my Dad hooks up to a small YT (released).

yellowtail 6.25.21.jpg

The birds are working, the boils are happening and the yellows start showing around the boat. The morning had just begun! Well...the bite is about to END.

Welcome to the MORON GOOGAN.

Here comes this big black&white "sport-fisher" who decides to join the party, BUT instead of being respectful, courteous and showing ANY kind of etiquette...He decides to motor between all the boats and the island, then proceeds to run right up/through all of the chum-lines; cruising and parking directly on top of the biting fish. Now, to be clear, this area between the boats was OBVIOUSLY too tight for anyone to drive through and even someone with BASIC knowledge/courtesy would know this. I get on the radio and try to talk him out of killing the action and ask nicely for him to go around us and slide in ABOVE the anchored boats. No response, so I start dong the old "waving the hands in the air" and emphatically communicating that he's driving over lines, chum and biting FISH! "Please be respectful", I say to him, as he's in hand shaking distance at this point..Nothing.

He ignores all the futile communication and continues to chug up the line, motors up right along the side of our boat (equal to the bow) and ends up a lob wedge away (distance judged by an amateur like me. Probably 3/4 wedge for the big boys) from our port side. I'm thinking, "maybe he's going to offer us some live squid or a cold one?" Obviously not. He throws the anchor (casting distance) and slides back right on top of the fish and literally 50 yards from the bow of the Skipjack. Ends up casting distance away from us. Isn't it just common sense and general respect to come into a bite from the top side and anchor up or a safe distance away. I mean...the other boats did manage to get to the spot BEFORE you, so maybe get up a little earlier next time and skip the bagels and cream cheese...

Here she is in all her beauty, less than a Tady 45 from our port stern and right on top of the Skipjack:

goon.jpg

Gave it a little more time and tried to get a re-bite, but it was over. Pulled anchor and worked our way West, for good action that continued the rest of the day.

Picture as we're leaving:
goon 2.jpg

Don't get me wrong, I am VERY grateful to be on the water ANYTIME these days with my Dad and appreciate every minute I can spend fishing with Pop. Fishing and catching comes second to that and situations like this are ultimately meaningless in the grand scheme of life. However, I'm going to start posting some of these clowns and put them on alert. Welcome to 2021...

Bottom Line: Don't be THAT Guy.

You know the guy...The Black & White Moron Googan

Our boating community needs way less of them.

Tight lines and all the best!

- Nick

Last edited:
M
Mackinlay
Yup. I was laughing looking at that!! Figured you guys were all buddies... I showed up late and it was too tight boat wise in there. Sucked it up and went 500 yards south and still caught fish....
Although I also had a guy pull up so close that he ended up getting caught in my anchor line,I climbed up to the bow and they all apologized and put there head down. That’s all it takes. Everyone’s been there
Upvote 0

mhanson59hb

Fear No Fish
  • Apr 22, 2013
    Huntington Beach
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    2008 Trophy 1802 "Mako My Day"
    Some people can buy a million dollar boat, but couldn't buy a clue from Pat Sajak while getting the finger from Vanna.
    This is getting more common, not less, and the major reason I only fish mid-week.

Thanks for the report and the smile on pops face says it all.

Upvote 0

michael e. bingham

I Should Upgrade My Account
    May 26, 2015
    Name
    Pura Vida
    Boat
    Pura Vida 30' Custom Panga
    Guys like that are dumb asses and olny think of themselves it`s more and more common , the old way`s are all but gone

Reactions: splashy77
    Upvote 0

tunakillerjoe1

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Jul 24, 2017
    San Diego, Calif
    Name
    Joseph Gratteau
    Boat
    Valco Westcoaster 150'
    Other than the idiot, a nice trip for you. Hard not to be drawn into the anger of having losers interact. Could have done some laps around him before leaving, but never engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed morooon.

Upvote 0

splashy77

Almost A Member
    Apr 3, 2007
    Lane Vicky
    Name
    Daniel
    Boat
    Hasbro's Timon and Pumba pool floatie
    That's why you always keep a rod rigged with a 6-8oz torpedo sinker. If you know what I mean. 😉
    That puts you into a scumbag bracket dude! I get it! But damage or injury is never the answer..not trying to be a dick either.
    Just saying there are better ways.
    I know that if I made some sort of crucial error or mistake at the helm that somehow "interrupted" someone's bonito or baby yellow plunker and (per say) my wife or kid was injured from a projectory intended torpedo sinker..well... you would definitely receive a much more violent return of trajectory. 100 % on that! Don't be that slob..
    Grow up.
    I understand the GOOGAN population at Cat, local, everywhere. 2020 saw 58% increase in boat sales, trust me buddy they're there! I see them constantly. It's really no different than a hot perch, croaker, or corbina bite in the surf and then some dumb shit family dives into the skinny directly in front of your sand spike and then complains to the lifegaurd that you're putting their families in danger...
    THERE WILL ALWAYS BE GOOGANS, ALWAYS KAREN'S, ALWAYS IDIOTS, ALWAYS NUMBSKULL CAPTAIN'S WITH A NICKELS WORTH OF BRAINS AND A DOLLARS WORTH OF BOAT!
    Violence or injury puts anybody into a very hard to get out of situation if someone on the receiving end gets hurt...idiot,googan,dumbshit,numbskull,degenerate,etc...
    No disrespect..
    Daniel

Upvote 0

SavageSon

• Jan 3, 2017
    COSTA MESA
    Name
    SEAWOLF
    Boat
    JACK COLE SPECIAL
    That puts you into a scumbag bracket dude! I get it! But damage or injury is never the answer..not trying to be a dick either.
    Just saying there are better ways.
    I know that if I made some sort of crucial error or mistake at the helm that somehow "interrupted" someone's bonito or baby yellow plunker and (per say) my wife or kid was injured from a projectory intended torpedo sinker..well... you would definitely receive a much more violent return of trajectory. 100 % on that! Don't be that slob..
    Grow up.
    I understand the GOOGAN population at Cat, local, everywhere. 2020 saw 58% increase in boat sales, trust me buddy they're there! I see them constantly. It's really no different than a hot perch, croaker, or corbina bite in the surf and then some dumb shit family dives into the skinny directly in front of your sand spike and then complains to the lifegaurd that you're putting their families in danger...
    THERE WILL ALWAYS BE GOOGANS, ALWAYS KAREN'S, ALWAYS IDIOTS, ALWAYS NUMBSKULL CAPTAIN'S WITH A NICKELS WORTH OF BRAINS AND A DOLLARS WORTH OF BOAT!
    Violence or injury puts anybody into a very hard to get out of situation if someone on the receiving end gets hurt...idiot,googan,dumbshit,numbskull,degenerate,etc...
    No disrespect..
    Dani

Upvote 0

luckyjohn

Jun 1, 2015
    Name
    john r westersten
    Boat
    Get Reel Pursuit 3000
    We call them Catalina Kooks and Clowns. Fished for just a few hours this weekend at Catalina and had a few encounters ourselves. There was some really nice current about 7 am this morning off the cans / quarry area, forming some eddies. Metered and hooked something trolling, but had to split. Seemed like a good time to have live bait but didn't. Don't understand why guys heading up island simply can't do it outside all the boats fishing.

Upvote 0

SeaShed

Jun 13, 2005
    SoCal
    Name
    Ken
    Boat
    29' Scarab Sport
    Greetings Everyone.

I've posted on this forum for about 6 years, try to report and//or tell a story when possible and appreciate all of the intel. The last few years, I've seen More than my share of idiot/clueless/ignorant/selfish boaters (especially at Catalina on the weekend), but I've never posted about it or shown pics. It's not that bad and completely understandable when an inexperienced person (for example a family with kids out for a cruise or a dinghy coming from a mooring) runs across your chum line. It's also totally cool and appreciated when a fellow boater realizes they chose the wrong path and immediately communicates to you with a thumbs up, hand wave or quick shout out on 72...mutual respect and all is good. I've been guilty of that and I know I've made plenty of my own mistakes (try to learn fro them). BUT...Completely different story when a Clown, selfishly and intentionally displays disrespect and lack of ANY common courtesy, which is what occurred yesterday.

Short Story Fish Report:
    Left Cabrillo with 85 y/o Pop at 5:30 AM. Hit up SP bait and 1 hour later at the island. Fished Empire to Indian Rock. Mixed seas for the crossing, weather laid down throughout the day and summer-like conditions as the day went on. Temp went from 63.5 to 67 (yep) moving west. Fished until 4pm and had the B's up and boiling on every spot (with a little chum). Fished 20lb flouro, #2 hook, Small/med sardine and cut up squid for chum. Fished from 50-100ft and the bite was consistent at all depths, Lot's of shorts and a small (released) YT caught 1st thing in the morning... before the Moron Googan of the day killed the bite.

Moron Googan Report:
    Reached the island and was the 2nd boat at a well known spot. Metered around (well outside) of a someone close to the island fishing tight to the rocks. Threw the anchor in 90ft and the uphill current layed (laid?) us perfectly into the island. Start chumming and the fish react. B's start coming up and we have a steady (almost every cast) bite going with fish boiling in the chum. Another vessel (Skipjack in the pictures) nestles himself in at a respectable distance and the bite continues. The fish are surrounded by the 3 boats and a 4th boat anchors up on our Starboard side bow. So, now the 4 of us have a nice little bite going and my Dad hooks up to a small YT (released).

View attachment 1293595

The birds are working, the boils are happening and the yellows start showing around the boat. The morning had just begun! Well...the bite is about to END.

Welcome to the MORON GOOGAN.

Here comes this big black&white "sport-fisher" who decides to join the party, BUT instead of being respectful, courteous and showing ANY kind of etiquette...He decides to motor between all the boats and the island, then proceeds to run right up/through all of the chum-lines; cruising and parking directly on top of the biting fish. Now, to be clear, this area between the boats was OBVIOUSLY too tight for anyone to drive through and even someone with BASIC knowledge/courtesy would know this. I get on the radio and try to talk him out of killing the action and ask nicely for him to go around us and slide in ABOVE the anchored boats. No response, so I start dong the old "waving the hands in the air" and emphatically communicating that he's driving over lines, chum and biting FISH! "Please be respectful", I say to him, as he's in hand shaking distance at this point..Nothing.

He ignores all the futile communication and continues to chug up the line, motors up right along the side of our boat (equal to the bow) and ends up a lob wedge away (distance judged by an amateur like me. Probably 3/4 wedge for the big boys) from our port side. I'm thinking, "maybe he's going to offer us some live squid or a cold one?" Obviously not. He throws the anchor (casting distance) and slides back right on top of the fish and literally 50 yards from the bow of the Skipjack. Ends up casting distance away from us. Isn't it just common sense and general respect to come into a bite from the top side and anchor up or a safe distance away. I mean...the other boats did manage to get to the spot BEFORE you, so maybe get up a little earlier next time and skip the bagels and cream cheese...

Here she is in all her beauty, less than a Tady 45 from our port stern and right on top of the Skipjack:

View attachment 1293550

Gave it a little more time and tried to get a re-bite, but it was over. Pulled anchor and worked our way West, for good action that continued the rest of the day.

Picture as we're leaving:
    View attachment 1293549

Don't get me wrong, I am VERY grateful to be on the water ANYTIME these days with my Dad and appreciate every minute I can spend fishing with Pop. Fishing and catching comes second to that and situations like this are ultimately meaningless in the grand scheme of life. However, I'm going to start posting some of these clowns and put them on alert. Welcome to 2021...

Bottom Line: Don't be THAT Guy.

You know the guy...The Black & White Moron Googan

Our boating community needs way less of them.

Tight lines and all the best!

- Nick
    Hey Nick, I was that 4th boat in on your starboard side. Tried to stay a respectable distance from you and the boat on my starboard. I'm new to having my own boat (been out a lot on some buddies boats though) so want to make sure I'm not 'that guy' when I go out. Couldn't believe watching that guy do that to you and your dad. You stayed pretty calm imo under those circumstances. Good job on that. I was out with my son and we both were shocked. Looking forward to the days when my son is taking me out fishing. We wound up leaving and got into a nice white sea bass bite so worked out for us too.

Wasitrytofish

May 1, 2012
    Monrovia ca united states
    Name
    Glen Mitchell
    Boat
    Sea Fox 248 Commander
    I’ve tried to let them know “kindly” and then I usually leave to find another fishy area.
    unless the bite is sick I’d prefer to catch nothing and fish alone. But I will usually always try to call in when the bite is anything more than a slow pick.
    the island is big enough. Nicer waters means more coogans- often meaning less fish.

your efforts to disclose will not go unnoticed!
    P.a. I wish I had his boat!!!

Upvote 0

MEF_66

Jul 22, 2014
    Name
    Matt
    Boat
    Ranger 2510
    When I saw the title I was not expecting it to be not that nice of a boat, but I had something very similar happen to me at Catalina in 2019, large sport fisher as well. Might be the same boat but not sure. There is absolutely no respect at Catalina, if you hook up on a home guard you better be quiet about it as well. If not you will find yourself in a sea of boats. Hence I do not fish Catalina much anymore because this is pretty common at that island. I had hoped that fishing SCI or SBI would put me far enough away that I would be safe. Not the case, I was fishing SBI and doing well with the mossy backs. I see this homemade pilot house approach and he drops anchor literally 40 yards off my port side. The next thing he does is throw out his divers float and proceeds to jump in the water to start spear fishing the same area.
    I have learned a good way to deal with this now. I try my best to keep my catch fresh so I always bleed the fish before throwing it in some slush. What I do now is I keep the fresh blood, next time one of these knuckleheads does something like this, the blood is going right over the side. I just hope jaws does not show up.

Upvote 0

Donkey Nick

Jul 16, 2012
    Hollywood, CA, USA
    Name
    Nick Shamrock
    Boat
    Shamrock 246 Walkaround
    Hey Nick, I was that 4th boat in on your starboard side. Tried to stay a respectable distance from you and the boat on my starboard. I'm new to having my own boat (been out a lot on some buddies boats though) so want to make sure I'm not 'that guy' when I go out. Couldn't believe watching that guy do that to you and your dad. You stayed pretty calm imo under those circumstances. Good job on that. I was out with my son and we both were shocked. Looking forward to the days when my son is taking me out fishing. We wound up leaving and got into a nice white sea bass bite so worked out for us too.
    Hey brother. Thanks for that comment. You guys were totally cool. Nobody owns the ocean, right? Just sucks that we created a nice little bite, which looked like a good few hours of fun fishing, just for our new buddy to come screw it up. Look forward to seeing you out there again. Be safe...

Upvote 0