mhanson59hb

Fear No Fish
Apr 22, 2013
Huntington Beach
Name
Mike
Boat
2008 Trophy 1802 "Mako My Day"
I fished and hooped Catalina for a few days with my friend Don Elm. We launched from Huntington Harbor Monday morning and picked up a half scoop of nice sardines from Nacho. The winds were blowing from the north at about 12 knots and followed us most of the way across. It was a bit of a bumpy ride! Once we got to the island, the wind died and the sun came out. It was like flipping a switch!

We trolled rapalas east from Long Point and scored a few bonito for bait tube stuffers. At Silver Canyon, Don nailed a nice 5-pound snub-nosed sheephead on a sardine. This fish had an old injury on his upper jaw, giving him a severe under bite. We tried some East End rock piles for a couple of salmon grouper that were released on a descending device, and I released a lingcod that looked a bit short. I also kept another female sheepshead that was bleeding out.

We trolled up a few more bones and headed over to our hooping spot. That night was as calm, clear and windless as can be. Perfect. We managed 8 solid legals – including a couple of big ones – and released 3 more that were just barely legal, along with a ton of shorts.

On Tuesday morning we went to the Isthmus to try some of our shallow water rockfish spots. Using frozen squid, I managed a medium sized red and a chuckle head, but we were mostly getting small white fish. Maybe live squid would have made a difference. Anyway, the fish just were not biting well.

Back down by Avalon, we caught some more bones and set up on our lobster spot. Again, the night was perfect. We put 5 good legals in the tank on the first set. While our second set was soaking, I watched the fireworks show at Disneyland. It was that clear! Needing only one more bug for limits, we released 2 that were just legal hoping for something bigger. This paid off with what may be the biggest bug we have ever caught. A true lobstrosity. With limits in hand, we released several more legals, including a big female that was probably the 2nd biggest one we hooped up this trip.

Wednesday morning it was overcast, but very little wind made our crossing back to the barn smooth. Over all, it was a really fun trip, with excellent weather. Water temps were 55.6 in Long Beach, about 57 to 58 mid-channel and for the most part 58 to 62 at the island. We did find 64.3 degree water Tuesday afternoon just east of Gallaghers. Air temps rose to at least 70 each day. I can’t wait for my next trip this spring!

Be safe out there!

Lucky released ling!
DSCN1590.jpg

Red destined for the fish box
DSCN1594.jpg

A limit o'bugs crawling the deck. Check the can for a little perspective
DSCN1596.jpg

A fish fry in the making
DSCN1599.jpg

Big boy bug on my 30 gallon bait tank
DSCN1597.jpg

Hooops

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Nov 26, 2005
Huntington Harbour
Name
Hoops
Boat
17ft Whaler Montauk - "TYFISH"
Feb/March at Catalina - like a box of chocolates - never know what you're going to get - best time of year to fish/hoop with no one else around.

Nice big catalina bugs too

Reactions: mhanson59hb

mhanson59hb

Fear No Fish
Apr 22, 2013
Huntington Beach
Name
Mike
Boat
See any signs of squid or have eggs in the hoops?
We had a couple of squid in our hydro-glow for a few seconds one night, that's it. No nests that I could meter, and no squid boats had any for sale.

Reactions: Hardcor

Hardcor

Hardcore
Jun 8, 2014
Hardcore
www.youtube.com
Name
Hardcore
Boat
Hardcore
That's great winter fishing. That is a toad lobster. How big are the bonito ?
Thank's for the report Mike, I'm going to try and get my grand daughters on some bonito

mhanson59hb

Fear No Fish
Apr 22, 2013
Huntington Beach
Name
Mike
Boat
That's great winter fishing. That is a toad lobster. How big are the bonito ?
Thank's for the report Mike, I'm going to try and get my grand daughters on some bonito
Hi Corey, the bones were around 1 to 3 pounds. Not quite the 7-pound models we got in January, but still fun to catch. Perfect size for your grand daughters to have a go at! Good luck!