mhanson59hb

Fear No Fish
  • Apr 22, 2013
    Huntington Beach
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    2008 Trophy 1802 "Mako My Day"
    My son Sean and I decided to do an over-night trip to Catalina as he had a rare few days off of work/school. We launched Thursday morning from Huntington Harbor and picked up a scoop of smaller sardines from Mario. Headed toward the oil rigs and were greeted by fog that lasted all the way to the Avalon Bank, about 12 miles. Not the best way to start the day, but we made it to the East End safely. We also made some mini macs off a few kelp paddies, but no gamesters were home.

There were a few boats strung out from the Vs to the Palisades, so we made some drifts fly lining the ‘deans for non-stop bonito action, some up to 5 pounds. Deciding we needed bigger bait, Salta Verde kelp provided good looking smelt to top off the bait tank. I got an aquarium-like view under the kelp beds with smelt, blues, blacksmith, opaleye, calicos and even 2 seal pups playing. Beautiful!

We moved west to Freddy’s Beach and found small yellowtail to 4 pounds mixed in with the bones and we had a blast catching and releasing the firecrackers (or is that size rats? :D;)). Looking for bigger models, slow trolling our larger baits produced some larger bones and more small yellows. Man, those little guys are aggressive! We only kept 2 bonito and one small yellow that were bleeding out. Everything else was released to fight another day. That night we picked up a mooring in Avalon.

Friday morning, we trolled Frog Rock to K20 and Rippers to Empire for nothing, and even our shallow water rockfish spot only had whitefish. On the way home we trolled bonito on the bait-o-matic and a big Nomad 200 though a dolphin pod but luck was not on our side. A west swell crossed by south-east wind waves made for a bumpy ride back to the barn.

So even though we did not get into the bigger yellows, the little guys and bones were game and made for a fun trip. Water temps at the Island were 68.5 to 73.25 – which was found in the afternoon at Freddy’s.

Good luck and be safe out there!

Little fish, big smile! This is the smallest one we caught :D
    DSCN1764.JPG

Another feisty bonito
    DSCN1760.JPG

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

bsandls

I don't know what I don't know
  • Jul 7, 2018
    Orange County
    Name
    brian
    Boat
    20' Tiara
    Congrats on a great day with your son. My buddy and I had the same experience with the bonito and baby YT. Went over to the island Thursday morning and it was non stop calico and bonito. Went over to the back side and ran into a school of bonito and small yellowtail. Searched for the large model and couldn't find them.

Upvote 0

the SLIDER

https://multimediabylj.com
    Jun 11, 2015
    Dana Point
    Name
    L J
    Boat
    arima - the SLIDER
    Beautiful fish!

Thanks for the report Mike. Glad you and Sean are still at it having a great time fishing Cat!

Last edited:
    Reactions: mhanson59hb
    Upvote 0

mhanson59hb

Fear No Fish
  • Apr 22, 2013
    Huntington Beach
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    Great report. Btw, you ever get anything using live smelt? I've tried them and never got bit.

Yeah, we caught 2 of the yellows and some of the bones on the smelt. The trick is to slow troll them. We also bounce 'em for halibut. They don't make good fly line baits.

Upvote 0

Plus One

Coming along...
    Aug 24, 2011
    Hemet
    Name
    Jason
    Boat
    Plus One
    Yeah, we caught 2 of the yellows and some of the bones on the smelt. The trick is to slow troll them. We also bounce 'em for halibut. They don't make good fly line baits.

I was wondering the same thing. I always throw one on the line when fishing off the Oceanside fishing pier and haven’t had anything munch on them. The guys on the pier swear by them for rays. (Ps. Come on February, I can’t wait much longer for my boat to be ready!! I want off the pier!😁)

Upvote 0

mhanson59hb

Fear No Fish
  • Apr 22, 2013
    Huntington Beach
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    I was wondering the same thing. I always throw one on the line when fishing off the Oceanside fishing pier and haven’t had anything munch on them. The guys on the pier swear by them for rays. (Ps. Come on February, I can’t wait much longer for my boat to be ready!! I want off the pier!😁)

We fish a lot of multi-day trips at the Island and usually are out of bait by the 2nd day. Catching smelt has saved many of our trips by enticing last gasp yellows!

Upvote 0

Cheech

Sep 11, 2008
    Tustin, CA
    Name
    Jeff Cheechov
    Boat
    Skipjack 24FB, AD41P diesel
    Fun times there, great report & thanks for posting. The Smelt we have sabiki’d up are super strong & live for days in our modest size bait tank. It’s about time for those fishin & hoopin trips with more gear than the boat can accomodate. 🍻

Reactions: mhanson59hb
    Upvote 0