Catalina Opener

Discussion in 'Southern California Inshore & Islands Fish Reports' started by Dave Hansen, Mar 3, 2019.

1. bazzturd

bazzturd I fish in the ocean, not the internet

Name:
    Brian
    Boat:
    Gwendolyn
    I wouldn't Mainly because I don't like the way calico or turd rollers eat. I would rather snag a bunch of reds or sand dabs if all I am doing to meat hunting. Parmesan and panko crusted dabs with some other misc. spices are the kind.

ol' salt and kevina like this.
  2. Yella1

Yella1 So Fishy

Name:
    Jarrod
    Boat:
    Pay to Play
    Nope, I throw back the breeders. I love calico meat, but I'd rather eat a burger than a breeder:beerbang:

ol' salt, kevina and tmitch760 like this.
  3. fishkilr

fishkilr on the water

Name:
    alby
    Boat:
    Indian/Aahi/Inseine
    How about because a double digit calico is an Incredible and for many a once in a lifetime catch and why take the opportunity for you or someone else to have that same thrill again ????
    So you can eat it?? Lame!!!!

ol' salt, ColdEye and the SLIDER like this.
  4. bazzturd

bazzturd I fish in the ocean, not the internet

Name:
    Brian
    Boat:
    Gwendolyn
    Why don't you answer the guy that asked for feedback.

5. the SLIDER

the SLIDER https://multimediabylj.com

Name:
    L J
    Boat:
    arima - the SLIDER
    Back in the day, charter fishing on the Amigo, Mike used to back up to the lea side of Clemente where the rock pillars are. Boat barely cleared the rocks, crystal clear water and the diesels were running. Mike would pull out the gaff, dip it in the water, touch the rocks and laugh, "That's pretty close". This enabled us to heave Spanish Macks to the beach; in between the pillars laid the toads.

It took many trips to learn how to bait fish the huge calicos lodged between the pillars and weeds. The Macks were butt hooked in order for them to swim as far as possible to the beach. The further the cast, the further they swam, the bigger the toad.

After getting rocked so many times with an average set up, many of us picked out rigs (rod and reel) for what we thought would get us the biggest Calico for bragging rights. I refined my choice to a C/S T190 - 9' and a Penn 3/O with #30 lb mono. The long, stiff rod was for a long, high pull, up and over the rock pillars. The over sized reel was for thumbing the spool to keep a tight line without slack. If you were doing it right, you could feel the nervous thumping of the Mack. The moment you could not feel that thumping, it was time to put the reel in gear, reel down to horizonal, take a full swing, then reel as fast as you could; none of that pumping the rod shit. Fish didn't run at all. There was no room to run and they were fat slops.

Our group of seasoned fisherman realized the value of catching a trophy Calico that takes many years to get to that size. We would yell, joke, hoot, holler as each got their chance. End result was bragging rights for the day.

Mike didn't take us to the spot every trip and I imagine he took others there as well. I'm sure Mike schooled the others as to how special this particular fish is.

Some fish that were released were as big as 10-12 lbs. They were short in comparison the mainland Calicos, however the mouths were as big/wide as the girth. Good times!

Hi Dave.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019
    ol' salt and One_Leg like this.
  6. fishkilr

fishkilr on the water

Name:
    alby
    Boat:
    Indian/Aahi/Inseine
    This is my 2nd favorite type of fishing ..
    Nordbye,Conklin,Flores,even Norman once in a while would set up in there and a few of us fish this way ..
    I preferred 40 lb and the Spanish was definitely the way to go..the greenies would shoot into the kelp but the Spanish would just sit in the shallow holes until like you said get nervous then smashed...as fun as it gets pullin as hard as you can with a locked drag catchin slugs..
    Miss it soooooo much !!!

7. the SLIDER

the SLIDER https://multimediabylj.com

Name:
    L J
    Boat:
    arima - the SLIDER
    True about the Pacifics, lol.

WTG fishkilr

8. CaptJgray

CaptJgray I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Jeff Gray
    Boat:
    hell no....
    Conklin was the first person I worked for, and I learned a lot about big bait fishing from him. As much as I love fishing spanish in the weeds I would have to say my favorite was when Jimmy Meyers would call Pat or my dad and tell us he had brown bait...:drool:

9. fishkilr

fishkilr on the water

Name:
    alby
    Boat:
    Indian/Aahi/Inseine
    We hauled the bait in del Rey and always had one well of brown for us and the few guys that knew what to do with it ...
    That's why I've seen more double digit fish local than at the islands ..
    I used to do a Conklin impersonation at the rail .. rod in the right hand thumbing in freespool with the butt on the right thigh and a drink in the left hand .. only pat fished this way and it cracked me up..
    Fishin with those guys especially when pat and Gary had the string was some of the funnest times of my life...

10. Donkey Nick

Donkey Nick Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Nick Shamrock
    Boat:
    Shamrock 246 Walkaround
    "If you know me you know I don't through legal fish back ever"...interesting. Never?

More importantly, It's a shame that a self proclaimed "Saltwater Fishing Guide" like yourself, lacks some basic common sense. Hopefully you make your paying customers happy and they will keep you afloat. However, the legendary and great captains (that I grew up fishing with) would greatly beg to differ with your comment.

To me...it speaks to a person's character. Legal or not.

ol' salt likes this.
  11. CaptJgray

Name:
    Jeff Gray
    Boat:
    hell no....

Donkey,

Can you list some of these great legendary captains?
    Cause I know several that first the description (or at least think they do) that would agree more with Dave...

I very seldom release a legal fish and I can never keep fish in the house, it is typically gone well before it even hits the freezer. Some of us just happen to have more friends than others, I guess that speaks to ones character???

brion likes this.
  12. ZZZZZ

ZZZZZ natural born jig slingers

Name:
    Boat:
    Jet Ski Yamaha FX Show. ZZZZZ
    #1. Brown bait is a weak easy prey bait with good flavor and nutritional value. Thrown into the zone they semi play dead and get smoked

#2 Spaniard. Similar and a tad faster imo then the brown bait. Easy to smoke with little energy used to feed

#3 live squid. The heroin bait

Dine # 5 and chovie 6. Dines are fast and the little calicos are very fast also and instinctively get very excited and beat out the big ones, darn groms. Chovie is better as fish are more relaxed in the chum. They don't swim fast and are a easy protein package.

A greenie will take you into the bush and hang you up in some of the natural environments. Cut some speed off with a knife via tail

My largest yt came on a spanish mackerel

Swimbait. Insto pull away from danger

But really I dunno :D

13. CaptJgray

Name:
    Jeff Gray
    Boat:
    hell no....
    First trip I ever made to CA my dad was running crew boats out of Alamitos bay out to Platform Edith. I would stay up all night every night catching brown bait on small pieces of salted chovy. straight into the trash can bait tank that my dad had rigged on the crew boat. I wouldn't be able to sleep as the herons would eat my bait if i wasn't on deck. first trip out in the morning the yellows would be up and it was game on...

Brad - what happened to #4

I really love anchovies, when throwing a scoop would mean more than 6 baits hit the water...

One_Leg, Donkey Nick and ZZZZZ like this.
  14. ZZZZZ

ZZZZZ natural born jig slingers

Name:
    Boat:
    Jet Ski Yamaha FX Show. ZZZZZ
    Gosh anchovies are awesome to fish. I do like the scales that land on me from the brail. The rare blond chovie is a good luck token and nothing like a oily chunker with oily rainbow scent trail

My bad. #4 live smelt.

So wtf did you get roosters. Never heard back. Or at the least aroma spa therapy, hot stones, mud bath, that type of stuff :D

15. CaptJgray

Name:
    Jeff Gray
    Boat:
    hell no....
    We ended up going to New York instead. By the time we finally figured out when we could make a trip the flights were stupid...

We will plan much farther ahead this year!

When are you coming up? conditions are looking amazing!

16. kevina

kevina I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    kev
    Boat:
    25' aqua sport
    :shake::(
    So your motto is "Big or small, Kill them all!

Last edited: Mar 16, 2019
    Donkey Nick and ol' salt like this.
  17. kevina

Name:
    kev
    Boat:
    25' aqua sport
    :cheers::appl:

ol' salt likes this.
  18. kevina