eric perez

stillapinhead
Mar 3, 2018
Costa Mesa Ca
Name
eric perez
Boat
no mas
Had a nice little 3/4 day trip yesterday on the Victory... I dont know why but Ive always liked fishing this boat...
Hadnt been on it in years... so my son and I jumped on... one of the only short trips I could find last minute for the weekend...
Flat calm... foggy... really nice bait from Nacho... we handed him a coffee and burritos and we were off...

Started out chasing morning foamers outside the Horseshoe with 4 - 5 other LA OC boats... it was wild... kinda like a rodeo... but with 65 - 75 foot sport boats... LOL We gave it a go for about an hour... there are definitely fish there... theyde pop up... do their thing... 5 boats would attack at full speed and theyde sink out... we didnt get a biter so we mushed on to Cat...

Rolled up to the Island about 9:30... weather has burned off and its an absolutely beautiful HOT morning... Captain George picked a pretty little cove north of the Ithsmus and we got set up. Started hanging Calicos right away... and then I see my son down the rail set the hook... and I hear his 25lb sizzling off his Newell 229 LOL and hes off to the races to get the the bow as this fish is now heading for lunch in RPV... he huffed and puffed for about 10 minutes... and deckhand Danny sunk the gaff to a round of hoots and hollers... nice yellowtail!! Ended up being the only one for the day and jackpot winner... I was very proud to say the least... wasnt his first... but maybe his best...

We scratched around the rest of the day... wind really came up about 12:00 and made everything difficult... it didnt really want to bite anymore... I did manage to land one grumpy calico,.. we didnt weigh it but its was definitely my PB...

Took off at about 2:30... on the way home we got word that the Enterprise had 3 bluefin hanging as we came into sight range of them... same area basically outside the Shoe... Native Sun was already in the round up as we pulled in... threw on a few pop ups but no hangers for us... back to the barn about 5:45...

Screenshot_20210829-201636_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20210829-201622_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20210829-201534_Gallery.jpg

bdogie1

• May 27, 2015
    Name
    Brandon
    Boat
    getsome
    Cant ask for much more on a 3/4 that was a solid 3/4 trip! Props to your son what a stud! I have a 13yr old and we been trying to get him bite on a nice yellow cant wait to see that day!

Upvote 0

watersdeep

I CATCH IT. I KILL IT. I CLEAN IT. I DON'T DELIVER
  • Jan 19, 2016
    LB
    Name
    Jed Venture
    Boat
    the twisted ducker
    SICKNESS!!!

Upvote 0

eric perez

stillapinhead
    Mar 3, 2018
    Costa Mesa Ca
    Name
    eric perez
    Boat
    no mas
    thanks everyone... yeah he was really stoked... it had been a few trips since hed gotten a nice fish... hes turning into a good fisherman... I learned how to do this West Coast fishing thing at an early age from some of the best of the time... so Im just passing it on... he can cast iron... cast and flyline a sardine... and works the rail well... already about 5'9"... big kid... so he doesnt let anyone bump him off... he wants to start working on a boat in a couple years... all he thinks about is fishing... hes hooked for life... LOL

Reactions: bdogie1
    Upvote 0

wilafur

Dork
    May 19, 2010
    SoCal
    Name
    Wilbur
    Boat
    Nope
    Hey Eric, I was on the same trip with my son and we also had a good time. This was my kiddos 3rd trip and first time he has ever seen boils/foamers.

Your kiddo slayed that yellowtail! Congrats!

Last edited:
    Reactions: Joefisherman
    Upvote 0

Abusaade

Aug 22, 2010
    Compton, Ca
    Name
    Ahmad
    Boat
    none
    Love the Victory, my 3 kids learned how to fish on it. George keep asking me about them every time I go fishing with him on Mondays . Now, the grand kids are almost ready .
    Congratulations.

Reactions: woodfish330
    Upvote 0