Pescado hunter
Aug 10, 2015
Surf city, usa
Name
Hal
Boat
lightest load party boat available
Short story:
Fished Catalina on the Patriot. 5 for 7 on the #7-#12 grade and probably fished over 200 sardines to get bit.

Long story:
Went to sleep with the intent to fish The Mission belle. Woke up @3:45. Decided to press the snooze button & hit my local instead. Loaded up 37 passengers 6 am sharp. (Groupon overflow) Made the speedy 2 1/2 hour crossing over to the island. First stop of the day was along the kelp lines. For 2 legal calicos & wide open on perch. Next move was @ about 10:15 further up the line where we stopped on a sonar school. This bite produced about 20+ of the #7-#12 models. Hooked the first one on #20 test straight mono. 2nd fish busted off quickly. I grabbed my #30 outfit instead of re tying & ended up picking off 3 more from that stop. As soon as the tide went slack we lost all conditions and bite switched off like a light switch. Next move further up the line we ended up a few hundred yards near The Pursuit with their usual welfare Wednesday crowd. Continued with #30 and ended up going 1 for 2 there due to a pulled hook. All the water we fished was a beautiful blueish/green. The bait from Newport barge was 5-7” sardines with maybe 1 out of 10 being a solid swimmer. The bite was tough, and you had to put in the rail time with the right bait. But the opportunities were there. But it beats a day of work anytime. Especially when you end up with jackpot

67914170-B3EE-4F02-BABA-30326C5840B9.jpeg

Last edited:

bazzturd

I fish in the ocean, not the internet
Aug 7, 2008
Westminster, CA
Name
Brian
Boat
Gwendolyn
Welfare Wednesday. I haven't heard that one. Maybe they should start taking EBT at the ticket window. Would be better than 7-11 nachos that does accept EBT

Reactions: Haly0

Haly0

Pescado hunter
Aug 10, 2015
Surf city, usa
Name
Hal
Boat
lightest load party boat available
Nice catch! Anyone getting them on the iron?
One lucky random surface iron fish. Tiny small blue & white sumo c2 ? Lucky blind cast. There were 3 opportunities for me casting a mint JRI7 directly on top of a boil. But no takers , not even a follower. I have yet to catch a Catalina surface iron yellowtail myself.