mhanson59hb

Fear No Fish
Apr 22, 2013
Huntington Beach
Name
Mike
Boat
2008 Trophy 1802 "Mako My Day"
After being out of the game for almost two months with arthritis issues, I was finally able to put together a trip for my son Sean and I. We launched from Huntington Harbor Monday morning and picked up a scoop of sardines from Nacho.

The ocean was flat calm as we checked out the oil rigs and then pointed it to the Avalon Bank. There was some life in this area with dolphins and a blue whale, which we were lucky enough to see go tail flukes up on a dive! A couple of paddies had no fish, so it was off to the back side east.

Slowing trolling sardines got us on the board with some of the small bones that are everywhere at the Island right now. There were boats on the hook and drifting up the line and the sport fleet was just arriving, so we decided to set up a drift at the Palisades. About 9 AM, a guy in a Parker with about 7 people on board lands a nice yellow so at least we know we are in the right area. I got to say, that boat did the best out of everyone there that morning.

After watching the guys on the Parker and sport boats land a few more yellows, I get absolutely freight trained by the right kind. I love those long, drag burning first runs, and this fish did not disappoint! A few more solid runs, and we got him at deep color circling. He looks huge in the water (to me) and I am starting to sweat it out as I am on my 25# outfit, so I back off the drag just a tad. Good thing I did because he made one more power dive to the bottom. Short pumping got him back into range quickly and Sean made the gaff shot count. Finally! He scaled out at 18 pounds but fought way above his weight class! Two years of yellow fever frustration ends.

A few more yellows were caught after that (not by us), but the snap seemed over like flipping a switch. Off. We stayed back there until 7 PM for only more bones, then called it a night with a mooring in Avalon.

Tuesday morning found with only a few baits left, so we jigged up a bunch of smelt at Salta Verde. Back at the Palisades it was a dead zone. We did not catch a single fish. Nobody else we saw did either. The sport fleet showed up again and left quickly for greener pastures. What a difference a day makes. We felt extremely lucky to have gotten our fish yesterday. With nothing else going on, we pinned some bonito on bait o’matics and trolled offshore for a couple of hours. Zippo.

Back in Avalon for lunch, we went for a cooling swim. The beaches all have tables set up for outside dining, and they were packed with tourists. The harbor was practically full. Good to see Avalon back in business, they sorely need it. Slow trolling big smelt and mackerel between Frog rock and the K20 kelp that afternoon was a bust.

Wednesday morning, we headed up to the Isthmus to try for rock fish. We found a dinghy adrift outside of Bird rock with a frayed rope attached. Probably broke off while someone asleep at the wheel was dragging it behind their boat. We towed it in and passed it off to the harbor master - hopefully someone will get their dinghy back.

Our shallow water rock fish spot produced two reds and two tree fish for the deep fryer to top off the trip. The trip back to the barn was a bit rough with a big west swell and cross swell, but we made good time. Overall, it was a fun trip. We got our yellow, the boat ran great, the weather was nice and we made it back in one piece! Water temps at the island were 67 to 70.

Have fun and stay safe out there!

My hard won 18 pound yellow
DSCN1748.JPG

Hope someone gets this back!
DSCN1755.JPG

Nice red for tacos!
DSCN1758.JPG

pacificscout

Hey! You got any frozen ice?
Jul 28, 2012
Fullerton
Name
Wally
Boat
16ft Scout EMBUSTERO
Glad to read a report from you.
They are always a cool adventure.
Hope the Arthritis calmed down.Nice YT.

Reactions: mhanson59hb

ryatothen

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jul 11, 2008
Cypress/CA/USA
Name
Ryan Chester
Boat
26 Skipjack
Congrats on the YT and thanks for the report. Im headed out tomorrow morning until Monday. Hope to find the right kind!

Cheech

Sep 11, 2008
Tustin, CA
Name
Jeff Cheechov
Boat
Skipjack 24FB, AD41P diesel
Great report and congrats on breaking that long spell. That YT is stouter than 18 lbs amigo. Nice feesh!

the SLIDER

https://multimediabylj.com
Jun 11, 2015
Dana Point
Name
L J
Boat
arima - the SLIDER
I'd say #25 Mike. Glad you got one, she's a beaut.

We found a dinghy adrift outside of Bird rock with a frayed rope attached. Probably broke off while someone asleep at the wheel was dragging it behind their boat. We towed it in and passed it off to the harbor master - hopefully someone will get their dinghy back.
How bizarre. Good job bringing it in. :appl:

splashy77

Apr 3, 2007
Lane Vicky
Name
Daniel
Boat
Hasbro's Timon and Pumba pool floatie
Nice looking fish there big hoss. Kudos on the dinghy retrieval. Someone will be happy to get their 6horsey Yamy back that's for sure. Still yellow'liss this year for me. Thanks for the report.

mhanson59hb

Fear No Fish
Apr 22, 2013
Huntington Beach
Name
Mike
Boat
2008 Trophy 1802 "Mako My Day"
Nice report Mike, glad to see you back at it.
Thanks Corey, it's been a while. Looking forward to your next report!

Great report and congrats on breaking that long spell. That YT is stouter than 18 lbs amigo. Nice feesh!
Thanks, investing in a new scale stat..... :D

Two years since a yellowtail, Mike? I guess I'll believe that, since it's coming from the horses mouth! I think our droughts are similar, although you have owned that island at times.

Solid yellow! Glad to hear you and Sean got some quality time on the water. Hope college is going well for the lad.

Steve
Thanks Steve. Well I put my buddy on 2 yellows last October, but for me and Sean it has been two loooooong years! Last year was humbling for me! Sean is working on his BA in civil engineering, has about 18 months left of school.

Nice trip, that yeller is a brute and you need a new scale !
Thanks DK, we got lucky, new scale on the way!

I'd say #25 Mike. Glad you got one, she's a beaut.
Thanks LJ, it's much better to under estimate than over estimate on these boards. It can get brutal!

Wasitrytofish

May 1, 2012
Monrovia ca united states
Name
Glen Mitchell
Boat
Sea Fox 248 Commander
a legit 15-20lb class yellow. freaking rad.
your weekend long reports have been missed. great thing about the ocean, it will be there when you get back. maybe except a new closure or two! hit congrats and wag to throw the kitchen sink at them . and even better to be humble enough to drop down for some rockies to close out the trip. always better to bring a little extra meat home, regardless of the season or species.

Hardcor

Hardcore
Jun 8, 2014
Hardcore
www.youtube.com
Name
Hardcore
Boat
Hardcore
I'm a lurker now Mike, I still have my code group here but I don't post anymore.
There are more trolls then fisherman on this site. My code group and I have had a great season so far and we are just getting started. Looking forward to your next thread and I hope it's with your son.