Catalina Monday May 30, 2016

Discussion in 'Southern California Inshore & Islands Fish Reports' started by wkk, May 31, 2016.

1. wkk

wkk Member

Name:
    will
    Boat:
    Edge Water CC/Hobie Outback
    My buddy woke up late so we didn’t leave the dock til a little after 7 a.m. Stopped at the Newport bait barge but they were sold out on squid. Was told the bait boat was sitting in front of Avalon and he might have some left so we decided to run across and find out. Flat calm seas with little to no wind. Crossed and found the bait boat in about 45 minutes. Loaded up on their last scoop of squid and headed off.
    Conditions:
    Water temps were averaging 63.4 degrees.
    Overcast skies with a cold breeze throughout the day.
    Slow boat drifts.
    Light current.

I fished Cat a few weeks ago in the same colder light windy conditions and didn’t find the YT on the backside. Received some intel from SuperPaoPao7 (very much appreciated) and decided to try the front side today.

Fished various coves from Avalon to the West end. Caught a few calicos, sheephead, and big bonito at every stop. All fished released because we were only looking for yellowtail.

Tons of boat traffic and almost a fishing boat in every cove up to twin harbor. Decided to move away from everyone and headed to the tip of the west end. Fished a few coves in between Stony Point and Black Point. Tried drifting the drop offs in 70 to 100 feet of water. Around 2 p.m. a small school of yellows came through. We managed to put 3 on deck and one 23 inch sheephead at our last spot. Kept these 4 fish and released everything else for the day. A sporty moved in a 200 yards from the end of our drift but I didn't see them hook anything. Repositioned and made a few more passes only to pick up more calicos and bonito. We were the 18 foot edgewater cc w/ the 150 yamaha.

Tackle for the day:
    25 lb seaguar leaders
    Owner Flyliner 1/0 hooks
    ¼ sliding sinker

YT & Sheephead 05.30.16.JPG

2. RyanErb

RyanErb Love to fish!

Name:
    Ryan
    Boat:
    OnTheWater
    Glad you finally connected with some fish! Awesome! Thanks for posting the report!

Ed Y likes this.
  3. antdog562

antdog562 Member

Name:
    Anthony
    Boat:
    22' bayrunner
    Nice run. Thanks for the report

4. Tunaslam

Tunaslam I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Cory Visser
    Boat:
    N/A
    Certainly a fun day! good job.

5. Cheech

Cheech Member

Name:
    Jeff Cheechov
    Boat:
    Skipjack 24FB, AD41P diesel
    Good job on a very busy Memorial Monday. Move till you find 'em biting...

6. gved823

gved823 Member

Name:
    Gary
    Boat:
    Sold
    Getting that last scoop of squid was a great score too. Thanks for the report. Sounds like a really fun day