flyliner

@thereelflyliner
Aug 19, 2007
Santa Monica
Name
Jonathan
Boat
31' Cabo Express
I am having trouble trying to figure out where exactly the new Catalina closures are.

I see the map on the fish and game website, and I see they have GPS coordinates of the boundaries, but does anyone know which spots are closed?

I know on the front side we lost Italian Gardens, but exactly where does this closure area begin and end? Long Point to where exactly?

Also we lost the Farnsworth Bank offshore, (huge) but there is also an inshore closure area that seems to cover China Point and possibly Ben Weston as well? Talk about seabass heaven. Also interesting that spearfisherman can still take seabass here, but rod and reel fisherman cannot.

Why couldn't they leave Catalina alone......saltwater sportfishing began here!!!!!

Upvote 0

Mikieb

I Should Upgrade My Account
May 8, 2011
Huntington Beach, Calif.
Name
Mike
Boat
Crash & Burn
Upvote 0

FloMar

Hired Gun!
Apr 28, 2004
CA.
Name
John Collar
Boat
Parker 2320
Why couldn't they leave Catalina alone......saltwater sportfishing began here!!!!!

That last part is funny.
It might have began here for you, but in the big picture unhuhh.
Breathe deep!

Ever hear the story about Adam and Eve catching the first Trout? :rofl:

San Nicholas Island will be the place to be in 2012, even at 65 miles from where I launch.

Upvote 0

Puddlin Jack

Registered Abuser
Jun 23, 2008
Newport Beach
Name
Ian
Boat
Cabo 38
That last part is funny.
It might have began here for you, but in the big picture unhuhh.
Breathe deep!

Ever hear the story about Adam and Eve catching the first Trout? :rofl:

San Nicholas Island will be the place to be in 2012, even at 65 miles from where I launch.

Actually, on Adam and Eves first fishing trip, Adam caught nothing but Eve came home with a red snapper.

Upvote 0

radman

Jun 10, 2006
escondido
Name
Darrin
Boat
Stringari
You know,the closures suck bigtime,but actually,there is still alot of coastline to fish.I mean,we got to make the best of it.And,I personally think that it may not be as bad as everyone thinks.It does suck that the lawmaker assholes just take the ocean from us,when the proper thing to do would be to lower the limit to 5 bass,and a 15 inch minimum size,like the lakes do,BUT,it can`t really hurt the fish population by having protected areas.I mean,I have little kids,and I want them to be able to catch fish when they grow up,I just remember 20 years ago,and catching a limit of 7lb plus sandbass from the oceanside clambeds,and I also remember 100`s of boats there,catching them all,and now,try to catch any Sandbass up there now.I personally blame the sportboats,as I have seen undersize fish being kept,over limits kept,etc.I love fish as much as the next guy,....Just saying.It won`t be that bad if this is the only closure,but if they take more in a few years,then it will be war.Personally,I do not see how they can enforce these zones.There are several of them,and how can Fish and game be patrolling them?Just keep fishing!

Upvote 0

dkd711

Skunk Master...
Jun 7, 2008
Huntington Beach
Name
Duke
Boat
"WFO SKUNK"
It says no hook and line take, but does that mean I can't drop a homemade depth charge and grab them when they float up to the surface?

Upvote 0

fknricter

Jun 17, 2008
redlands, ca
Name
mikey rivera
Boat
malibu extreme
You know,the closures suck bigtime,but actually,there is still alot of coastline to fish.I mean,we got to make the best of it.
Just keep fishing!

You make valid points with slot limits and things, but we let them do this without a fight, they'll take away what they want when they want, "why not, if they cared they'd say something.."

Don't feed the animals

Upvote 0

ISLAND BOUND

I Should Upgrade My Account
Jan 18, 2006
Orange County
Name
Mike
Boat
26 striper White Knuckles
I am having trouble trying to figure out where exactly the new Catalina closures are.

I see the map on the fish and game website, and I see they have GPS coordinates of the boundaries, but does anyone know which spots are closed?

I know on the front side we lost Italian Gardens, but exactly where does this closure area begin and end? Long Point to where exactly?

Also we lost the Farnsworth Bank offshore, (huge) but there is also an inshore closure area that seems to cover China Point and possibly Ben Weston as well? Talk about seabass heaven. Also interesting that spearfisherman can still take seabass here, but rod and reel fisherman cannot.

Im going over in a today and will take a look at where the closure ends. I know it starts at long point and looks like it ends somewhere between gibralter and red bluff

Upvote 0

Bank Robber

Hyperbolist
Apr 9, 2006
Merritt Island
Name
Dean
Boat
F/V Bank Robber
Hey Jonathon, here is a chart with the adopted MPAs on it. Hope it helps.

Attachments

• fuck the MLPA.jpg
    fuck the MLPA.jpg
    423.9 KB · Views: 737
Upvote 0

GregAndrew

I Find Stuff
Dec 28, 2008
San Gabriel,Ca.,USA
Name
Greg
Boat
T15 Kayak
I just copied and pasted the MPA coordinates from the DFG site to Google earth (you need to drop the . lat. and . long.). Then typed in the coordinates for the points of interest (Used Baja Fish Maps for them) to see if they lie inside or outside the boundary.

Upvote 0

Bank Robber

Hyperbolist
Apr 9, 2006
Merritt Island
Name
Dean
Boat
F/V Bank Robber
For some reason the area names and the borders weren't displayed in that last image. This is a little clearer.

At least the east and west ends are still open....

:finger: MPLA

Attachments

• Farns SMCA.jpg
    Farns SMCA.jpg
    261.3 KB · Views: 133
  • BR CH Arrow.jpg
    BR CH Arrow.jpg
    433.7 KB · Views: 135
  • LP SMR.jpg
    LP SMR.jpg
    333.1 KB · Views: 141
  • Cat MPA map.jpg