mhanson59hb

Fear No Fish
Apr 22, 2013
Huntington Beach
Name
Mike
Boat
2008 Trophy 1802 "Mako My Day"
I took my son Sean to Catalina for a few days of fishing. He starts school at Long Beach State this coming up Monday, so it would be his last trip of the year. We launched from Huntington Harbor and picked up an OK ½ scoop of bigger dines from Nacho. Washing machine conditions greeted us until we hit the outside oil rig, where it laid down nicely.

First thing, we find a paddy loaded with bait, but no gamesters. We topped of the tank with perfect 6 to 10-inch greenbacks and hit the Avalon bank, 152, 277 and the backside of Catalina off shore for nothing. Pretty much a waste of fuel. The water was beautiful deep blue and 71 to 72 but it was like the dead sea out there. No foamers, no birds. The only decent paddy we found had a giant dog on it.

Around 3 PM, we went in to Salta Verde and put out the slow trollers heading east. A bit later, I get zinged hard – but it turns out to be a sea lion. He straightened out the Owner hook from his jaw, and that was the last I saw of him! Oops – bet that hurt!

Around 5 just past Silver Canyon, Sean gets absolutely smoked on his 30-pound setup with the fish taking 2/3rds of the spool on the first run! I turned the boat around and we chased that fish all over. He would charge the boat, then dive ripping off 50 yards like it was nothing. After about 5 more runs we finally get him to color and it’s a big yellow. 27 pounds of Catalina home guard hits the deck. High 5s! An 8-inch greenback was his undoing.

We continued trolling mackies until about 7 and I released a nice calico, but that was it for the day. We picked up a mooring in Avalon for the night.

Tuesday was as slow as I have seen it. For our efforts, Sean released one calico and hooked another dog, this time it left with the hook, leader and sinker in his mouth. Too bad, so sad. I didn’t catch anything. We did see one of the Avalon 4-pack charters get a big halibut at the Palisades, but that was it. Nobody we talked to did any good, either. A swordfish sandwich from Rosies and a swim to cool off were the high-lights of the day!

Wednesday morning, we were out of bait, but we were able to jig up a few Spanish mackerel outside of Avalon. I pinned on the biggest one at Frog Rock and we slow trolled west. Just before Gallaghers, my troller goes bendo - but it’s not really ripping off a lot of line - so I am thinking it’s a small fish. I get it about half way to the boat and then it realizes it’s been hooked! Waking up, this fish now starts pulling drag and I knew it was decent size. A few more short runs and Sean gets a perfect head shot on the 13-pound yellowtail. Good thing too, because 2 dogs were after my fish as well. It was so funny watching them jump around the boat in frustration!

We headed back to the barn in glass conditions. Over all, fishing was slow – until it wasn’t. Perfect weather, blue water and a couple of good fish made for a fun trip!

Good luck and be safe out there!

I! Love! Home guards eatin' deck! -- Sean's 27 pound beauty:
DSCN1655.JPG

Another pic:
DSCN1657.JPG

2nd prize in a beauty contest (with apologies to the Monopoly guy) -- Dad's 13 pound yellow:
DSCN1663.JPG

Last edited:

PacificPredator

Captain
Dec 9, 2010
LBC
Name
Brad
Boat
29' Phoenix Sportfisher
Thanks for the report.
Man, it's tough fishing lately. I would like to know when things are going to change!? Maybe September will be better.
Glad you got a couple.

Reactions: mhanson59hb

Cheech

Sep 11, 2008
Tustin, CA
Name
Jeff Cheechov
Boat
Skipjack 24FB, AD41P diesel
There's a couple 'o nice Yellows! Well done & a great report.
And congrats to your son for heading off to college and I hope he has a good run at CSULB. I sure did.

SaltH20Angler

I'm not superstitious... cuz it's bad luck.
Aug 6, 2016
SoCal - Corona
Name
Christopher
Boat
I know a couple guys...
I was just commenting to my buddy about the reports these past five or so days. Seems like a lot of guys have been going hard and still getting skunked or only catching a couple.

Last Saturday 3 of us fished all day (offshore) and only had two dodos to show for it. That Big Bull @Hismosa caught made our whole day tho :D.

Glad a you squeezed one more catalina trip in, and happy you got a the right kind on ice.

:jig:

kevina

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Sep 10, 2006
redondo beach
Name
kev
Boat
25' aqua sport
I took my son Sean to Catalina for a few days of fishing. He starts school at Long Beach State this coming up Monday, so it would be his last trip of the year. We launched from Huntington Harbor and picked up an OK ½ scoop of bigger dines from Nacho. Washing machine conditions greeted us until we hit the outside oil rig, where it laid down nicely.

First thing, we find a paddy loaded with bait, but no gamesters. We topped of the tank with perfect 6 to 10-inch greenbacks and hit the Avalon bank, 152, 277 and the backside of Catalina off shore for nothing. Pretty much a waste of fuel. The water was beautiful deep blue and 71 to 72 but it was like the dead sea out there. No foamers, no birds. The only decent paddy we found had a giant dog on it.

Around 3 PM, we went in to Salta Verde and put out the slow trollers heading east. A bit later, I get zinged hard – but it turns out to be a sea lion. He straightened out the Owner hook from his jaw, and that was the last I saw of him! Oops – bet that hurt!

Around 5 just past Silver Canyon, Sean gets absolutely smoked on his 30-pound setup with the fish taking 2/3rds of the spool on the first run! I turned the boat around and we chased that fish all over. He would charge the boat, then dive ripping off 50 yards like it was nothing. After about 5 more runs we finally get him to color and it’s a big yellow. 27 pounds of Catalina home guard hits the deck. High 5s! An 8-inch greenback was his undoing.

We continued trolling mackies until about 7 and I released a nice calico, but that was it for the day. We picked up a mooring in Avalon for the night.

Tuesday was as slow as I have seen it. For our efforts, Sean released one calico and hooked another dog, this time it left with the hook, leader and sinker in his mouth. Too bad, so sad. I didn’t catch anything. We did see one of the Avalon 4-pack charters get a big halibut at the Palisades, but that was it. Nobody we talked to did any good, either. A swordfish sandwich from Rosies and a swim to cool off were the high-lights of the day!

Wednesday morning, we were out of bait, but we were able to jig up a few Spanish mackerel outside of Avalon. I pinned on the biggest one at Frog Rock and we slow trolled west. Just before Gallaghers, my troller goes bendo - but it’s not really ripping off a lot of line - so I am thinking it’s a small fish. I get it about half way to the boat and then it realizes it’s been hooked! Waking up, this fish now starts pulling drag and I knew it was decent size. A few more short runs and Sean gets a perfect head shot on the 13-pound yellowtail. Good thing too, because 2 dogs were after my fish as well. It was so funny watching them jump around the boat in frustration!

We headed back to the barn in glass conditions. Over all, fishing was slow – until it wasn’t. Perfect weather, blue water and a couple of good fish made for a fun trip!

Good luck and be safe out there!

I! Love! Home guards eatin' deck! -- Sean's 27 pound beauty:
View attachment 957390

Another pic:
View attachment 957391

2nd prize in a beauty contest (with apologies to the Monopoly guy) -- Dad's 13 pound yellow:
View attachment 957392
Is that an old sabre stroker with the dark red 4/0? Those are old classics

mhanson59hb

Fear No Fish
Apr 22, 2013
Huntington Beach
Name
Mike
Boat
Is that an old sabre stroker with the dark red 4/0? Those are old classics
Wow, good eye! Yes, it's an old Sabre Stroker chocolate that my dad gave me. I had it restored cause it's been such a good rod. Thanks!

Reactions: Hardcor

Tunaslam

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Apr 25, 2003
Diamond Bar, Ca 91765
Name
Cory Visser
Boat
N/A
A couple of dandy Tails, congrats! Tough fishing at the islands this year for sure!

Fins in the Bin

Well-Known "Member"
Jun 10, 2004
Jamul
Name
used to fish
Boat
50 Silverton
Hey don't let that kid tell you "Long Beach State" means this is my last trip of the year! Are we talking about the same Long Beach here or is there one on the East Coast too?
Great report as always

mhanson59hb

Fear No Fish
Apr 22, 2013
Huntington Beach
Name
Mike
Boat
Hey don't let that kid tell you "Long Beach State" means this is my last trip of the year! Are we talking about the same Long Beach here or is there one on the East Coast too?
Great report as always
It's UCSLB here. He is going for his bachelors in engineering. He will be going to school Monday to Thursday and he already works Friday to Sunday, so he has a full dance card! He wont be able to go fishing until winter break in January......

However, I am extremely proud of him for putting in this kind of work. When I was his age, all I wanted to do was get drunk and get laid.... :D

Paddyman1

A mossback is better than a hairy back
Nov 7, 2010
La Costa Izquierda
Name
Steve
Boat
N/A
Nice report, Mike! Congrats on the homeguard!

While I was there a couple weeks ago it was pretty quiet. I did manage to chum up some venison a few times...
E1515C21-323C-4C7E-8739-096FFD537A94.jpeg