Catalina lobster ticket from DFG

Discussion in 'Southern California Inshore & Islands Fish Reports' started by bottom snatcher, Feb 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dkd711

dkd711 Skunk Master...

Name:
    Duke
    Boat:
    "WFO SKUNK"
    That's lame, but the state is really hurting for $$$ right now so it doesn't surprise me. Anyone else notice that they are cracking down more on the roads with tickets, camera light etc..? I drive 75-100 miles for work 3-5days a week and seeing more tickets given out last few months.

2. Kareem Korn

Kareem Korn Muffin Monster

Name:
    Tim
    Boat:
    Longboard, 15' Calibogie ("Bogart")
    Just another reason I don't do lobster. You guys have at it.

3. stairman

stairman ......

Name:
    doug
    Boat:
    yak and lowe duck hunting skiff but they identify as sportfishing crusiers
    oh yeah the state is always underfunding everything.....teachers we under funded.more taxes
    roads ...we underfunded..."temporary" sales tax to fund them
    wardens stamps....comon people if you let government constantly over spend and tax you more each time you end up with the private sector shrinking and people out of work or under employed....

wait a minute isn't that where we are right now.... so more taxes(fines fees levies permits licenses ..its all taxes) to the state is going to do what again?

4. ISLAND BOUND

ISLAND BOUND Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    26 striper White Knuckles
    We all know everything goverment related in california is over budget and underfunded, but the DFG is shooting itself in the foot by extorting money out of good honest people. Making a simple mistake by not remembering to fill out that stupid report card should not warrent a 460.00 dollar ticket.

There are alot of wardens out there that would let it go and then there are some that hate lobster fishermen period, too bad you got the hater.

Glad you reported this...

5. middleofnowhere

middleofnowhere Gopher Killer

Name:
    Scott
    Boat:
    Twin Vee "MamaMia"
    I know the rules, but have forgotten to fill out my location on the card before while fishing. That is an expensive lesson.

6. Carwash

Carwash Newbie

Name:
    greg
    Boat:
    2008 Defiance 220 EX
    You're probably right. I find it amazing that I've never been checked, let alone see a warden. Everyone says they're all over Catalina.

7. Carwash

Carwash Newbie

Name:
    greg
    Boat:
    2008 Defiance 220 EX
    DFG should've given the guy a warning. I can see how he forgot to do it having kids w/ him.

8. Outdooryakn

Outdooryakn Newbie

Name:
    Michael
    Boat:
    None
    I've been stop by harbor police and given a warning for not filling it out until I got back but it was also the first year the made us carry cards.

9. Blackfish

Blackfish Fishing, a perpetual series of occasions for hope.

Name:
    Rotus
    Boat:
    50' Hatteras and 24' cuddy
    I have no issues with getting a ticket for breaking the law. But if I was the officer, I would have seen it as a great opportunity for public relations. Kids out fishing with dad, MINOR violation of the law. Let dad know of his errors and the possible financial consequence, tell dad nice job getting your kids on the water....have a nice day.

Its not like he was out poaching. To many " holier then thou" types on this thread.

10. ISLAND BOUND

ISLAND BOUND Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    26 striper White Knuckles
    Well said!!!

11. I was stopped a couple of months ago at Catalina by the DFG and checked. I didn't have my card filled out yet. Just plain forgot. I knew the law too. Just dumb. After checking my boat, he ended up writing right on my lobster card a warning for the violation. I thanked him and he was on his way. Very professional. I would guess if I got stopped again for the same thing, I would be paying the piper.

He said they are starting to enforce this because people are not filling out their cards at all. Even at the end of their trip.

12. ocsleeper

ocsleeper Member

Name:
    Ricky
    Boat:
    Cobia 220 DC
    I think the DFG is pretty much like the CHP now. It's just too much revenue for them to pass up by not giving tickets. There's no escaping a ticket if you violate any law no matter how little it seems. You get pulled over by the CHP, you're getting a ticket. Seems to be same way with DFG. A while back, I was hooping with a buddy and we were all new and didn't know much. Harbor Patrol pulled us over because we were doing something really stupid (long story). Harbor Patrol checked everything on the boat and checked our fishing license and lobster card. Non of us had filled ours out yet. We were given a warning. I'm pretty sure if that was the DFG, we would have gotten a ticket for sure.

13. Marcus

Marcus "Oddjob"

Name:
    Marcus
    Boat:
    Tuna Jihad toilet cleaner/Intrepid
    While I think each instance needs to be taken into account by DFG one of the ways they really get the word out that they are enforcing the regs is to write tickets.

This guy broke the regs (didn't fill out the card) and got caught. Do I think the DFG might have been a little harsh? Yes but when you break the regs you may get off with a warning if you're lucky. I have forgotten to fill out my report card before diving for bugs a couple of times the first year. If I had gotten caught it would have been my fault. The regs are pretty clear about filling out your card before fishing for them.

Unfortunately sometimes you're the example for everyone else. Is it fair? Not really but he got caught and by posting up here the word is really getting out that you need to make sure you fill out your card before you start fishing for bugs.

14. sam1963

sam1963 Newbie

Name:
    Sam Murphy
    Boat:
    12.5' Fish N Dive
    I got checked by the DFG on my way back in to Dana harbor around the beginning of the season on my yak with scuba gear and a limit of bugs.
    I had all my ducks in a row and could have shot the shit with them all night but thy had a hole shit load of boats to check just out side the harbor and out severl miles and cut there visit with me short.
    Shawn you lucked out. A warning first is the way it should be, Its not like you ran a red light and put somebodys life in danger. Glad to here some DFG officers have a hart but I'll bet you came out with a good attitude witch goes a long way with the law.
    2 and 1/2 weeks left for the season boy's and girls good luck.

15. #Capt.Midnight

#Capt.Midnight Newbie

Name:
    ishmael
    Boat:
    paddleboat,steamboat willie
    let me start off by saying that i follow all the rules. i know the entire tax code and the complete healthcare bill by heart. i don't kill flies and my favorite hobby is to let you know how great i am. really. all kidding aside, this type of shafting a good person to feed this enourmous self serving government is getting way out of control. to call it anything else either naive or in bed with big brother. i think it was benedict arnold swazzinagor that got ticketed for not having the right license for riding a harley and got slapped on the wrist. what about that whacko in colorado that was a professor talking about how the us deserved what it got on 9/11. they did'nt want to do anything to him until he was forced. what about turbotax tim geitner. did"nt pay his taxes and now he is incharge of the irs. all they made him do was pay his taxes(fill out his card). this man got screwed any way you call it. he was held to a different standard. .

16. Carrasco

Carrasco Ceviche Connoisseur

Name:
    Mario
    Boat:
    It floats!
    I completely agree, especially if this kind of thing happens while you are trying to get kids interested in the sport. DFG officials should be able to more or less tell a scumbag poacher from a typically "responsible" angler or hoop-netter and the latter should be cut a little slack. We need those guys there yes, but they need to have the decency to get off their high horse and apply some empathy in some cases. :shake:<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

17. Trayscool

Trayscool Captain

Name:
    Travis
    Boat:
    NO BOATS
    Ive never been checked in catalina by the DFG nor would I mind. Follow the rules and you wont have any trouble.

Its almost comical to hear people bitching "i broke the rules and got a fine poor me"

18. furniture 4 me

furniture 4 me Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    mike
    Boat:
    17 crusader
    I just have to say that I know how the boards work and its most likely why I try not to post, but all the boards I have been on and seen, seem to be the same. Everyone seems to always be right and by the book. I got news for most Your Wrong, the rules change daily with out most knowing or they are not in the books. The other thing is the state is BROKE the DFG is Broke and Why because a shit load of tree hugging liberals that we let take over. As stated in this post they need the MONEY, so guess what we are all SCREWED we will all pay.
    AND yes I did get a ticket the first one in my life of fishing & hunting, and YES I have been Checked a great number of times, always respect the Warden. anyways to the guys who are always 100% by the book KEEP trying! the rest of us well we will keep having Fun and living life to the FULLEST.
    to who posted this sorry about your luck that blows, I know the feeling. also that card is just another loop hole to check you and fine you!
    Tight Lines.

19. Kareem Korn

Kareem Korn Muffin Monster

Name:
    Tim
    Boat:
    Longboard, 15' Calibogie ("Bogart")

Easy to say. It's easy to see this picture and say you do everything by the #'s, but it's human nature to make mistakes. Sometimes your mistakes break a law. Sometimes you have every intention to do everything by the book and you miss something. Sometimes you get a break with just a warning. Sometimes you have to pay the fine.
    That's the breaks. It's the luck of the draw.

I find it funny that some comment like they have never missed a step while trying to play by the rules. You just never been caught is the reason your smelling like roses and can judge this person.

Seems like the guy was trying to do everything asked of him. He just missed a step. I bet that step is never looked over again. But, maybe it might be something else. It's human nature.

This type of policing of our fishery should continue. I would even be in favor of more resources being put towards it. It would be better to inspect, fine, and educate than resorting to full closers.

20. jeffreyplumber

jeffreyplumber Newbie

Name:
    jeff
    Boat:
    none
    I think thats messed up to get stuck with a fine for that. I guess since the state needs money they should go door to door. Checking for mattresses with the tags removed. Or how about trippling the fee for fishing licenses. Its redicules and anyone that thinks this is acceptable practice to nail anyone for such a minor infraction is a nuts.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.