PENN

"all-in"

Oct 5, 2005
Garden Grove
Name
Chris
Boat
24, Angler, All-In
Friday the 13th turned out to be a great night for me but not so much for the bugs. I got a birthday hall pass from the wife. Looking at the weather, Friday was the last night to get out before the winds. Four of us left Long Beach around 1. We baited up and started dropping hoops around 3. It seemed like we had the whole Island to ourselves. Not another boat in site. First pulls started at 5:30 and we were finished with limits by 8. We probably caught 200 shorts, 35 keepers, 2 sting rays and 1 horn shark. I pulled my best total net ever which had 21 bugs (4 legals). I have been out twice this year, both on full moons and got limits both times. Go figure.

Upvote 0

spongehead

"ONE FISH AT A TIME"
Sep 12, 2010
garden grove, ca
Name
David
Boat
Maria
Nice work Chris! I was on Steve's boat. Glad you guys did well! Man it was a lake coming home.

Upvote 0

spongehead

"ONE FISH AT A TIME"
Sep 12, 2010
garden grove, ca
Name
David
Boat
Maria
Nice work, so much for the full moon crawl naysayers! I would love to see pics!
IMG_20191214_103121.jpg

Upvote 0

saltydoc

Oct 8, 2008
Arroyo Grande, Calif
Name
Harley Boos
Boat
25 ft Bahia Davis Boat 28ft Farallon whaleback and 19 ft North River
Nice bugs!
Friday the 13th turned out to be a great night for me but not so much for the bugs. I got a birthday hall pass from the wife. Looking at the weather, Friday was the last night to get out before the winds. Four of us left Long Beach around 1. We baited up and started dropping hoops around 3. It seemed like we had the whole Island to ourselves. Not another boat in site. First pulls started at 5:30 and we were finished with limits by 8. We probably caught 200 shorts, 35 keepers, 2 sting rays and 1 horn shark. I pulled my best total net ever which had 21 bugs (4 legals). I have been out twice this year, both on full moons and got limits both times. Go figure.
Some of my best hooping has also been on a full moon. Congrats! What was your best depth? I plan on my first trip to Cat the next weather window.

Upvote 0

NoLDR

OG BD member
  • Mar 26, 2003
    Sherman Oaks
    Name
    BRAD
    Boat
    29 Baha Cruiser NoLDR
    I think hoopin the full is fine just need the right tide and get it done before the moon is all the way up. Congrats on the nice bugs. I was trout fishing on the 13th when I should have been lobstering. Trout fishing sucked.

Reactions: mhanson59hb
    Upvote 0

mhanson59hb

Fear No Fish
  • Apr 22, 2013
    Huntington Beach
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    2008 Trophy 1802 "Mako My Day"
    Great job! I was there Weds/Thursday and the moon was up super early and killed the crawl for us. But then again we hoop pretty close to Avalon, so it may be a bit over fished. It took us 2 nights to get our limits

Full moon can be great if it's cloudy or it rises late...

Stoked for you!

Upvote 0

"all-in"

Oct 5, 2005
    Garden Grove
    Name
    Chris
    Boat
    24, Angler, All-In
    Great job! I was there Weds/Thursday and the moon was up super early and killed the crawl for us. But then again we hoop pretty close to Avalon, so it may be a bit over fished. It took us 2 nights to get our limits

Stoked for you!

I saw you post Mike. I went over late since fishing has been somewhat worthless over there. After you post I may change that thought. I like catching bones on light line.

Upvote 0

FloMar

Hired Gun!
    Apr 28, 2004
    CA.
    Name
    John Collar
    Boat
    Parker 2320
    Stoked for you!
    Completely agree Mike!
    The moon was never full on the 13th, only 99%, it didn't rise until 625 PM, annnnnd the FN clouds were covering it most of the night. John.

Upvote 0

FloMar

Hired Gun!
    Apr 28, 2004
    CA.
    Name
    John Collar
    Boat
    Parker 2320

Nice haul/mess of lobsters Chris!
    With all the green rope hanging there, 8 foot diameter, 20-25 loops, you guys must be good 160-200 feet. I can't imagine all the rope on the boat if all 10 nets are dropped this deep. No stainless on the gunnels, ahhh Ace line hauler or tag-teams. Any way I look at it, GOOD STUFF!
    :appl:

Upvote 0

Hismosa

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Oct 15, 2016
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Name
    Glenn
    Boat
    Boats n hoes
    Nice haul/mess of lobsters Chris!
    With all the green rope hanging there, 8 foot diameter, 20-25 loops, you guys must be good 160-200 feet. I can't imagine all the rope on the boat if all 10 nets are dropped this deep. No stainless on the gunnels, ahhh Ace line hauler or tag-teams. Any way I look at it, GOOD STUFF!
    :appl:
    He said he was hooping in 20-45ft

Upvote 0

"all-in"

Oct 5, 2005
    Garden Grove
    Name
    Chris
    Boat
    24, Angler, All-In
    Completely agree Mike!
    The moon was never full on the 13th, only 99%, it didn't rise until 625 PM, annnnnd the FN clouds were covering it most of the night. John.

We were shallow John. The pic above was my buddy's boat. They were out the same night and they were deep. They did not do as well as us. I have long ropes and puller as well but I have not had any need to go deep. Shallow is a lot easier and more exciting than deep drops.

Last edited:
    Reactions: FloMar
    Upvote 0

FloMar

Hired Gun!
    Apr 28, 2004
    CA.
    Name
    John Collar
    Boat
    Parker 2320
    We were shallow John. The pic of above was my buddy's boat. They were out the same night and they were deep. They did not do as well as us. I have long ropes and puller as well but I have not had any need to go deep. Shallow is a lot easier and my exciting than deep drops.

The devil is in the details Chris!
    I know what you said about hooping 20-45 feet, and I love that,
    but didn't know how the other boat fit-in, was trying to flush it out, so thank you for the added details which certainly closes the loop for me. Was trying to figure out every detail based on text and photos, nothing more nothing less. John.

Upvote 0

FloMar

Hired Gun!
    Apr 28, 2004
    CA.
    Name
    John Collar
    Boat
    Parker 2320
    How many gallons is your bait tank?
    Yes I'm trying to compute the average size of the 28 legal lobster. :rofl:
    Too much time on my hands?
    It's ticking away with my sanity
    I've got too much time on my hands
    It's hard to believe such a calamity
    And it's ticking away, ticking away from me
    Too much time on my hands
    (It's t-t-t-t-ticking away)
    (And I don't know what to do with myself)
    Thank God I'm still in the office working! John.

Upvote 0

"all-in"

Oct 5, 2005
    Garden Grove
    Name
    Chris
    Boat
    24, Angler, All-In
    How many gallons is your bait tank?
    Yes I'm trying to compute the average size of the 28 legal lobster. :rofl:
    Too much time on my hands?
    It's ticking away with my sanity
    It's hard to believe such a calamity
    And it's ticking away, ticking away from me
    (It's t-t-t-t-ticking away)
    (And I don't know what to do with myself)
    Thank God I'm still in the office working! John.

I don't know what to do.
    They were all just legal with a couple 2.5 pounders.
    Bait tank is 55 gallons which is quite the Grand Illusion.

I think at that time there were actually only 24 or 25 in the tank.

Upvote 0

apogee

My name is Apogee and I am a Squidaholic
    Jan 29, 2009
    Bakersfield
    Name
    Apogee..
    Boat
    Boston Whaler Outrage 28 (End Game)
    Nice... Ap

Upvote 0