angelinasdad

Captain
May 23, 2006
HB
Name
Anthony
Boat
Parker 2320
Hooped west end Catalina Friday night for only a few lobsters. Current was ripping. 10 bouys under water within 30 minutes of setting them. Plenty of excess line. The current came from nowhere. We were 120-175 ft deep. Inside had much less current but we figured that out too late. We were able to retrieve 9 of 10. Tried in closer for only a few more. We were so frustrated chasing nets so we packed it up after two sets.

if anyone found or finds a net I would be happy to compensate you. I can describe the net, rope and bouy. My GOID and phone number are on the bouy.

thanks and hope you had or have better success hooping.

Robdog1

Well known member
Oct 23, 2018
Newport Beach
Name
Robert
Boat
Luhrs 32 sport, Boston Whaler 170 Montauk
Just out of curiosity why so deep? We were shallow down by Long Point and had similar issues, except our issues were a lack of current. Deepest we went was 70ft. Must’ve been fun trying to pull those things! Don’t feel too bad, we lost a net too, maybe they’ll end up together😂

sickcat

Silverback
Aug 5, 2003
LA
Name
Kerry
Boat
Yellow spot
Some empty gallon jugs with clips can be your friend when the current is ripping.

Reactions: clevel

sickcat

Silverback
Aug 5, 2003
LA
Name
Kerry
Boat
Yellow spot
Please explain...as a second float attached to the main float?
Yep - sometimes 2 or three of them. I have seen a normal float plus a single gallon jug get pulled way under more than once.

Having it on a clip makes it easy to add them when you realize the standard float is not enough.

Reactions: clevel