Catalina July 27-28

Discussion in 'Southern California Inshore & Islands Fish Reports' started by Kaanapali, Jul 30, 2018.

1. Kaanapali

Kaanapali Newbie

Name:
    Rich Holdaway
    Boat:
    Robalo 225
    Took my beautiful wife over for a couple days by ourselves. She is not a serious fisherperson, but she indulges me. My goal was for her to catch her first YT. On Friday we slow trolled sardines from Avalon to Long Point and she hooked one good fighter on 20# line. Almost wore her out, but she did it!
    upload_2018-7-30_11-18-14.png
    Kept at it and completed the day with a couple more nice fish, plus a variety of other smaller fish. Bonito gave her a fight.
    upload_2018-7-30_11-19-25.png
    She was happy to land this nice barracuda after getting bit off a couple times.
    upload_2018-7-30_11-20-6.png
    Picked up a mooring at Avalon, went for a swim and had dinner ashore.
    Saturday our remaining sardines were looking beat up, so we snagged some fresh minimacs and a few smelt, and tried again, but too much wind. Anchored for a while near Whites Landing and managed to chum up a steady bite of smallish calicos and one nice sheepshead. Most bit on squid chunks. Fun to catch on light line. Only real excitement was a bat ray and a couple shovel nose sharks that we thought for a minute might be something better.
    Called it a day and headed back to San Pedro around 1:00. I caught more fish, but the wife caught the biggest. That's ok, she's still MY best catch.
    As we were leaving the Cabrillo Dry Storage we noticed that one side of the road was blocked off so Spacex could pick up their most recent Falcon 9 rocket from the barge it had landed on the other day.
    upload_2018-7-30_11-37-57.png

2. mhanson59hb

mhanson59hb Fear No Fish

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    2008 Trophy 1802 "Mako My Day"
    Nice, glad that you got in on some of the action. Happy girl, happy world!

3. triplelindy

triplelindy Newbie

Name:
    Felipe
    Boat:
    36' Catalina (yes it's a sailboat! what of it?)
    Nice, headed out there Saturday.

4. the SLIDER

the SLIDER https://multimediabylj.com

Name:
    L J
    Boat:
    arima - the SLIDER
    Were you in the dog house? Seems like a little too much flattering going on here.

:worship:

If not, good on you.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2018
  5. jscott

jscott Newbie

Name:
    Scott
    Boat:
    Four Winns 20' Horizon
    Great days on the water! I'm still working to try and get my wife into the fishing. Getting her on a yellow would be a good start for sure! Quick question....I have never 'grabbed a mooring' at avalon....how does someone go about that? Do you call harbor on channel 9 or something and arrange? What is cost and any other details? What happens if they are full and none avail...what are backup options?

6. Kaanapali

Kaanapali Newbie

Name:
    Rich Holdaway
    Boat:
    Robalo 225

7. Kaanapali

Kaanapali Newbie

Name:
    Rich Holdaway
    Boat:
    Robalo 225
    My wife is getting more into fishing, but I try to balance longer trips with some time for her ashore or just relaxing on the boat. Avalon is great for that.
    My strategy, if I know we are going to spend the night, is to go straight to Avalon as early as possible (7-8 AM) to reserve a mooring inside. (Avoid Descanso Beach moorings because it's pretty bumpy.) The harbor patrol boat will meet you at the harbor mouth and let you know if a mooring is available. (There is an online availability page, but no guarantee it's up to date.) You pay the harbor patrol right then with cash or credit card for the number of nights you want. They monitor channel 12. First come, first served at Avalon (but you can reserve in advance online for Two Harbors moorings). Usually not a problem getting a mooring except on busy weekends in the summer. I arrived last Friday at 7:30 am and got the last mooring for <30' boats for $38 per night. Price varies depending on size of boat. Once we have our mooring assignment we take off to fish. There is a shore boat (ch. 9) that you can pay for transport to and from your mooring and the green pier, but we enjoy putting around the harbor in our inflatable.
    If no moorings are available you can always anchor for free if you know what you are doing.
    Here's a link with lots of information:
    http://www.cityofavalon.com/harbor

8. SaltH20Angler

SaltH20Angler Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Christopher
    Boat:
    Not Yet
    Love that your wife was your best catch. Atta Boy! Thanks for sharing.

9. polevaults

polevaults Member

Name:
    Tim Werner
    Boat:
    Carolina Classic 25 & Mako 201
    Cool SpaceX. Fished back side of Catalina for WSB and got skunked last Friday. Saw tons of bait boils east of Avalon Bank but no action. Thanks for the report. I'm at Cabrillo Dry too. "Mako 1" a Mako 20 CC. Hope to see you out there.