mhanson59hb

Fear No Fish
  • Apr 22, 2013
    Huntington Beach
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    2008 Trophy 1802 "Mako My Day"
    My son Sean and I went to Catalina for a couple days of fishing. We picked up live squid from Nacho and headed out to the Avalon Bank trolling flying fish on a Bait O’ Matic for nothing. We then ran up to Indian rock for 3 sheepshead and an insane night time calico bite. We caught and released over 50 bass, topped by Sean’s big calico. I’m not sure on the exact weight because my spring scale says everything between 5 and 10 pounds is 5. Sean also caught the world’s smallest yellowtail. The next morning Sean got the big calico’s twin on a slow trolled mackerel at Eagle Reef.

We went around to Cat Harbor on the backside, but it was rough and the water in the harbor was dirty. With no squid boats in sight, we went up to West Cove where I released a just short halibut.

Moving down to the East End we started slow trolling mackies and I picked off twin 12 pound yellowtail between Frog Rock and the K20 Kelp. Sean followed that up the next morning with a 10 pound yellowtail caught in the same area, right before we came home. Not the biggest yellows, but fun. We had a great time!

We heard rumors from some Avalon locals of 30+ pound yellows being taken on the backside for people toughing out the conditions. Water temps were 68 to 74.

Mike

DSCN1151.JPG

DSCN1153.JPG

DSCN1159.JPG

DSCN1162.JPG

DSCN1166.JPG

Last edited:

kindafishy

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Jul 21, 2010
    hemet/ca/riverside
    Name