Captain
Sep 11, 2004
Long Beach
www.sport-fishing.com
Name
Dan Hernandez
Boat
Mi Sueno
Yesterday I got a chance to go fishing without a camera crew aboard the Triton to Catalina Island. All day long we found plenty of fish, but they were all small. We landed all of the legal size calicos on live sardines and the yellows came on both fly lined sardines and cut squid. At the end of the day our skipper took us to the back side of the island and I switched over to a 4oz B52 bucktail with a whole dead squid pinned on. On my second cast I hooked up with this 30 pound yellowtail. The rod was a Californian sold only at Turner's Outdoorsman with 20 pound Izorline and a Penn 975 reel. It was a great way to end the day for me.
IMG_5413.jpg

IMG_5383.jpg
IMG_5350.jpg
IMG_5418.jpg

Upvote 0

fishkilr

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Aug 27, 2012
long beach,ca.u.s.a.
Name
alby
Boat
None
No they're aren't they're gay. Dan job having one of the deckhands catch that fish for you and getting your bucktail jig in their for the photo op.
Back in the day when the shogun started doin winter bass fishin at Clemente when everyone else was rockfishin there were pretty much 2 artificials tipped with squid that outfished everything else 10 to 1 Tady tlc (green and yellow)and white buck tails... They are far from gay you just have to know how to fish em...

Reactions: Radical Ross
Upvote 0
Aug 12, 2003
Glendora
www.saket.com
Name
Pat Ross
Boat
24' Dorsett " Por Nada" with Tuna Tower
Back in the day when the shogun started doin winter bass fishin at Clemente when everyone else was rockfishin there were pretty much 2 artificials tipped with squid that outfished everything else 10 to 1 Tady tlc (green and yellow)and white buck tails... They are far from gay you just have to know how to fish em...
TLC hooks had a long shank for pinning a live squid

Upvote 0

cmar

Sep 6, 2014
Name
C mar
Boat
nope
The ol squid'n'jig.
Uses to be great for seabass also. Squid or two pinned on a white tady 4/0 or white bucktail sitting still on the bottom while brailing or jigging squid.

Upvote 0

Tvdan

Captain
Sep 11, 2004
Long Beach
www.sport-fishing.com
Name
Dan Hernandez
Boat
Mi Sueno
No they're aren't they're gay. Dan job having one of the deckhands catch that fish for you and getting your bucktail jig in their for the photo op.

It's sad that there are always haters here. The only people that hate me are people that have never fished with me or been to one of my free kids fishing events. This is my 29th year on TV, my 16th year running my youth foundation and this was not the first yellowtail I ever landed on a Bucktail. I use bucktails all the time and catch calicos, sand bass, halibut, rock fish, ling cod and white sea bass too. thank you guys for all your support.

Upvote 0

lj.fish

Fun Shit Maynard!
May 28, 2007
LBC
Name
larry
Boat
Julia Lee
You forgot green Bombers. Nice Fish!

Reactions: Radical Ross
Upvote 0

cmar

Sep 6, 2014
Name
C mar
Boat
nope
You forgot green Bombers. Nice Fish!
Wow, I was just going through some stuff and found this
ab28d4be1cc0573dfbe6dc87922b65d6.jpg

Now if I could just find the time to go try to get some YT like that awesome fish!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

mik911

Apr 6, 2008
SoBay, SoCal
Name
Mike
Boat
9'6" longboard
Nice YT Dan! Been watching your show for years--keep it up!
What's the technique in fishing a squid tipped buck tail?
Cast out, and retrieve at various depths?

Upvote 0

jeffdalton

"Well Known" Member
Aug 16, 2005
Long Beach, CA
Name
Jeff Dalton
Boat
21' Parker/Stealth Stix
Dan, don't let the dorks get the better of you. I wouldn't even bother to respond to negative nonsense. By the way, nice yellow!!!! Thanks for a solid report!!

Reactions: monster1
Upvote 0

cmar

Sep 6, 2014
Name
C mar
Boat
nope
Nice YT Dan! Been watching your show for years--keep it up!
What's the technique in fishing a squid tipped buck tail?
Cast out, and retrieve at various depths?
One technique is to pin a whole squid on and let it sink in free spool until the perch and smaller bass start to peck at it. Then throw the reel in gear. A larger fish will be attracted to the commotion and charge in for the kill. When the tap tap tap turns to a heavy tug, set the hook.

Upvote 0

Latest posts