Catalina Island 9/9

Discussion in 'Southern California Inshore & Islands Fish Reports' started by fullclip, Sep 9, 2017.

1. fullclip

fullclip Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    jeremy
    Boat:
    Mushroom 26 prosport
    I went on a charter for work out of San Pedro. It was my 1st 3/4" day trip locally. I have been spoiled on the 3/4 day trips out of sea landing in Santa Barbara in the past. We didn't have good fishing. We caught a bunch of small calico bass and a few white fish, small sheep head, some perch. 2 small Bonita. I won the jackpot with a calico bass. I was amazed at how shitty the crew was on this boat. By far the worst crew of any boat I have been on in my life. The bait was shit. They didn't get much live bait. The bait we had they never would leave enough out and you had to stand around waiting to be able to grab a bait. The big problem was 2 deck hands cared more about fishing themselves than helping the fisherman. I reeled in several times to help take fish off for the Chartmaster while the deckhands were fishing. They told one of the fisherman on the boat not to cast over their lines with an attitude. They always fished the stern in the corner where the best spot was to cast to the kelp or boiler rocks. I don't know if the charmaster tipped the crew however I did
    Take the entire jackpot home with me. I would have split the jackpot with the crew had they taken care of the group. The captain could have done a better job to put us on fish in my opinion. Sorry rant over.

2. spongehead

spongehead "ONE FISH AT A TIME"

Name:
    David
    Boat:
    Maria
    Please dont tell me that was sportking.... Bruce said he had a charter today and was a little pissed or something about the charter not wanting to fish the local yt...

3. MYNomad

MYNomad Heading South

Name:
    Rick
    Boat:
    Yes
    I hope you kept the JP and did not tip. F 'em.

fullclip likes this.
  4. Vigilant32

Vigilant32 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    G
    Boat:
    Why fish a 3/4 day? Check the reports it's typically calico, sand bass, white fish or sheepshead with a few bonito or if your lucky yellowtail or halibut.

Now a crew fishing to build the fish counts is a sad affair. Weak customer service = weak business with few return customers = not long to survive. It is a tuff way to make a living.

5. lkatdpelicanfly

lkatdpelicanfly Lizard Fish Slayer

Name:
    Frank
    Boat:
    Kayak
    Hate those kind of trips...I seem to be getting on more of these kind of trips more often on open party trips...and not just 1/2 and 3/4 day trips but on overnight and longer.

6. Azarkon

Azarkon I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Joe
    Boat:
    N/A
    Now why wouldn't you report the boat name, in this case? Their reputation should take a hit from such behavior; and it gives us more confidence that you aren't just making it up.

7. FishAcquisition

FishAcquisition I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Dan
    Boat:
    Only Aspirations-not the name of my boat-just have aspirations
    Pay Attention!!!! He said it was a work trip!!! You are going to have to do better to stay on this board.:D:D

Last edited: Sep 10, 2017
    Zika likes this.
  8. fullclip

fullclip Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    jeremy
    Boat:
    Mushroom 26 prosport
    A bunch of you guys just jumped all over someone yesterday for trying to tell the captain where to fish. Our group didn't tell
    The group I fished with has been chartering this same boat for the last 20 years. unfortunately I might have to go back next year if I can't convince the chartmaster to go to sea landing in Santa Barbara

9. natebal

natebal Newbie

Name:
    nate
    Boat:
    cobra f'n'd
    Fishing is the only perk that makes working on a sporty semi worth it. Those guys don't make any money. If it wasn't for the free fishing there wouldn't be any deckhands. If it paid like a real job then that would be different, but it doesn't. Hourly those guys aren't even breaking min. wage. Give em a break

10. the SLIDER

the SLIDER https://multimediabylj.com

Name:
    L J
    Boat:
    arima - the SLIDER
    [QUOTE="fullclip, post: 4419297, member: 99576"
    The group I fished with has been chartering this same boat for the last 20 years. unfortunately I might have to go back next year if I can't convince the chartmaster to go to sea landing in Santa Barbara[/QUOTE]

I see that happening if the group has fished with this landing for 20 years.

We chartered the Amigo with Mike for 13 years at least 6 times a year. Even Mike fished on occasion to show us how it's done when we sucked.

Unless it's red hot, who cares. We can remove a bass and toss it back in the drink.

So . . . do what you need to do. Pretty sure no one is going to miss you on the next free trip.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2017
  11. watersdeep

watersdeep I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Jed Venture
    Boat:
    the twisted ducker
    Call em out, or shut the fuck up.

Camreed1 and spearbodj like this.
  12. ja73

ja73 Member

Name:
    Jay
    Boat:
    Arima SC16
    Agree the boat needs to be named.

Anyway not sure if this boat got better, but 2 years ago I went out twice on the half day City of Long Beach. I went a second time just to see if my bad experience was a first time issue, unfortunately it wasn't.
    All the crew did was fish, push paying customers out of the way, attitude to customers when asking for help, constantly smoked pot in the engine room, and just cut lines if 2 people got twisted with the fish still hooked. Worst experience ever on sporty.
    It doesn't matter if you get paid peanuts, you have a job to do, do your job or look for another job, there's plenty out there. But its not entirely the fault of the deckhands, it is the fault of the captain and owner for allowing it to happen.
    Again this was 2 and 3 years ago maybe things have changed, but I went on the Redondo Special and the crew was great, same with a boat out of Newport, cant remember the name (Davey's Locker). On the Newport boat, I won' t forget it, but the captain yelled at one of deckhands for fishing and told him, "that's not what I pay you to do, helping the customers is what I pay you for". That is what they're there to do.

13. FishAcquisition

FishAcquisition I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Dan
    Boat:
    Only Aspirations-not the name of my boat-just have aspirations
    Seriously you are kidding. Maybe my waiter at Ruth's Chris who doesn't eat well can have have seat and share my steak. It is a service business and a captain that doesn't understand that and let's Deckhand (they signed up to get paid) fish for pleasure is going to be short term.

14. mullet

mullet Metal Fabricator

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    19"Gregor
    [​IMG]

dctalk523 likes this.
  15. fishkilr

fishkilr on the water

Name:
    alby
    Boat:
    Indian/Aahi/Inseine
    What the!!

16. the SLIDER

Name:
    L J
    Boat:
    arima - the SLIDER
    Which boat are you working on?

17. mackereljoe

mackereljoe Member

Name:
    Joey
    Boat:
    None
    I've fished the sportking a few times and yeah I see the crew fish including the cooked that love to sling iron. Most of the time it's to show us how it's done. Believe me if there's a decent size fish hanging Bruce will be making sure a deckhand will be there and not fishing. For the priced of admission still a very good operation. Seems like you worked for a decent company.

18. spongehead

spongehead "ONE FISH AT A TIME"

Name:
    David
    Boat:
    Maria
    Hey guys Bruce fucked them good yesterday cause he was pissed a charter will waste his gas going to catalina instead of staying locally... Im sure he was fuming while the enterprise and other sporties reporting huge yt #s... I guess he didnt give a shit about next year for this particular charter. Well hope all u future guys chartering the sportking pay ur charter and just shut the fuck up and fish where bruce wants to fish... If not find another boat... Oh by the way deckies just fishing instead of helping customers was not as bad as the other shit they tried to pull... And worst capt bruce didnt give a shit... Shame i was going to fish with him this week...

Im in the service based business... If u do well on one job you may get 1 or 2 future referrals... You fuck up the job you'll lose 10 or more future jobs... Goodluck out there...

19. fishkilr

fishkilr on the water

Name:
    alby
    Boat:
    Indian/Aahi/Inseine
    I wasn't there but a buddy told me his 3/4 day boat had wide open peanut yellows with decks fishing the whole time ..stopped fishing at 1:00 short of limits and were told they were gonna explore for tomorrow's trip around the rigs without fishing .. then he said the crew free gaffed a a mako and sold chunks of it for a premium price.and said a deadhead took jp..among many other supposed no - nos
    I'm not sure if any of this this is true but it sounds like this late in the year the crews feel like they are bulletproof which is sad..

20. the SLIDER

Name:
    L J
    Boat:
    arima - the SLIDER
    lighten up francis. enjoy this video.