Yesterday.

Upvote 0
May 13, 2004
Long Beach and points due west
Name
Bob Ballew
Boat
2520 Parker with twin 200 Yamahas
Positive side is the bikini girls at Descanso can now pose with some interesting background, while the boat owner is buying them drinks....still, it is sad to see the old boats disappear, one by one...just guessing...insurance value should be around a $ half mil with all those treasures on board....

Upvote 0

sickcat

Silverback
Aug 5, 2003
LA
Name
Kerry
Boat
Yellow spot

Don't bet your boat on that!! Usually a cleat or line gives before the mooring moves much but not always.

I have seen them resetting moorings after a big swell gets driven into the bay.

Upvote 0

mhanson59hb

Fear No Fish
  • Apr 22, 2013
    Huntington Beach
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    2008 Trophy 1802 "Mako My Day"
    Don't bet your boat on that!! Usually a cleat or line gives before the mooring moves much but not always.

I have seen them resetting moorings after a big swell gets driven into the bay.

This. 👆

My dad and uncle had a beast of a 50 footer at one point. Any sizeable winds and she would drag the mooring blocks. That's why they got rid of her and went to a smaller boat with a better profile!

Upvote 0

Robdog1

Well known member
    Oct 23, 2018
    Newport Beach
    Name
    Robert
    Boat
    Luhrs 32 sport, Boston Whaler 170 Montauk
    This. 👆

My dad and uncle had a beast of a 50 footer at one point. Any sizeable winds and she would drag the mooring blocks. That's why they got rid of her and went to a smaller boat with a better profile!
    My grandparents had a 75' converted steel trawler that was a monster and could probably have survived a hurricane easily. They were over in Whites during a storm in (I think 87) when it blew 50+ for 6 days straight. 2 moorings on the bow both drug until she was facing the island and the wind (westerly coming over the island). They finally had to cut the lines before they broke and ended up just jogging around for about 3 days and rescuing sailboats that were dismasted and drifting down the backside. They brought 7 boats under tow into Avalon over 3 days.

Upvote 0

mhanson59hb

Fear No Fish
  • Apr 22, 2013
    Huntington Beach
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    2008 Trophy 1802 "Mako My Day"
    My grandparents had a 75' converted steel trawler that was a monster and could probably have survived a hurricane easily. They were over in Whites during a storm in (I think 87) when it blew 50+ for 6 days straight. 2 moorings on the bow both drug until she was facing the island and the wind (westerly coming over the island). They finally had to cut the lines before they broke and ended up just jogging around for about 3 days and rescuing sailboats that were dismasted and drifting down the backside. They brought 7 boats under tow into Avalon over 3 days.

Yeah, it can get nasty over there. We were there for New Years Eve in the early 70s when a nor'easter blew unexpectedly into Avalon. It was so bad that first night that the harbor master had everyone off of the moored boats and was not letting anyone leave Avalon. My dad and uncle spent an uncomfortable night on watch from the Mole, having to sleep in the head. We stayed at the old Scarry's hotel. In the morning, there were 3 sailboats on the beach - but dad was allowed to motor over to Cat Harbor in a procession with other boats. We didn't hear from them for over 24 hours until they were finally able to call the hotel. The worst was over, but small craft advisories were still up when we left for home. First and only time I have ever been sea-sick!

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

Blackfish

Marble collector.
    Sep 20, 2005
    My Backyard
    Name
    Boat
    toy
    Yep. I was there over Holloween. ANd she is leaking oil and wreckage scattered along the shore. I'm not sure why the city or county has not taken action to remove the wreck.

IMG_1057.jpeg

Upvote 0

Darksails

I like bourbon.
    Sep 10, 2012
    OC
    Name
    Blaine
    Boat
    Tiara 3100 Open 'Sol Delight'
    Yep. I was there over Holloween. ANd she is leaking oil and wreckage scattered along the shore. I'm not sure why the city or county has not taken action to remove the wreck.

If it's anything like that trawler that sank in Huntington, it'll be a year before they address it. The stupid asshole who owns it will probably be off the hook for any costs too. What a shame.

Upvote 0