watersdeep

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jan 19, 2016
LB
Name
Jed Venture
Boat
the twisted ducker
Back in them days they knew, SAND DABS, WSB, BSB, YELLOW'S and ROCK FISH were whats for dinner. they did not even bother with horse mackerel (BFT) of witch were plentiful around the island at that time. sushi did not exist and cooked BFT taste like shit compared to the others mentioned.

makairaa

May 1, 2005
Tustin CA
Name
Philip Hunkins
Boat
17 starcraft
Back in them days they knew, SAND DABS, WSB, BSB, YELLOW'S and ROCK FISH were whats for dinner. they did not even bother with horse mackerel (BFT) of witch were plentiful around the island at that time. sushi did not exist and cooked BFT taste like shit compared to the others mentioned.
Oh they bothered with the bluefin. Their gear just did not let them be very successful. The Tuna club of Avalon was formed in 1898.

watersdeep

Jan 19, 2016
LB
Name
Jed Venture
Boat
the twisted ducker
Oh they bothered with the bluefin. Their gear just did not let them be very successful. The Tuna club of Avalon was formed in 1898.
Yes for catching for sport but not so much for eating. Why bother when they could enjoy a plate full of dabs.

Reactions: CartridgeCalls

Jigslinger

Fishing is an incurable disease
Apr 5, 2011
Orange County, CA
Name
Greg
Boat
Big ones with hot burgers and cold drinks
View attachment 1082978 Somehow, someway, fish could actually be caught without using fluorocarbon, braid and 2 speed reels! Probably used knuckle buster reels back then.
It wasn't very hard with an untapped fishery that's been around for thousands of years. Crazy how the last 100 years has changed the landscape.

PacificBlue

Nov 25, 2011
USA
Name
JM
Boat
Still Looking
Yes for catching for sport but not so much for eating. Why bother when they could enjoy a plate full of dabs.
So true, Schoolie BFT were thrown away as trash fish not so long ago, even in the 60’s caught off of our piers in SoCal. Most went to cat food or fertilizer.

Reactions: onehottip

stuman

Brawndo the thirst mutilator
Sep 18, 2004
Oside
Name
stu
Boat
skiff
There wasn't much fishing pressure back then.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Los_Angeles#Industrial_expansion_and_growth:_1870-1913

In the 1870s, Los Angeles was still little more than a village of 5,000. By 1900, there were over 100,000 occupants of the city.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Los_Angeles_County,_California
Los Angeles County, officially the County of Los Angeles, in the Los Angeles metropolitan area of the U.S. state of California, is the most populous county in the United States, with more than 10 million inhabitants as of 2018. As such, it is the largest non–state level government entity in the United States.

Omarkayak

I've posted enough I should know better...
Jul 26, 2007
Northridge, CA
Name
Donald W. Clarke III
Boat
11+ ft, Ocean Kayak Scrambler, P 'N' Queue Pod
The fish closest to the guy in the picture is actually the extremely rare Wahoo Seabass.

Good fishin'!
BDC OK

Reactions: CartridgeCalls

katchfish

Aug 18, 2003
LOST
Visit site
Name
Ken
Boat
OK Prowler