mhanson59hb

Fear No Fish
Apr 22, 2013
Huntington Beach
Name
Mike
Boat
2008 Trophy 1802 "Mako My Day"
I took my friend Don Elm fishing and hooping to Catalina for a few days midweek on my boat, the Mako My Day.

Short version: Bones and Mackies available at the island, limits of lobsters, an 8 pound bonus halibut and sheepshead to 8 pounds. Water temp was 61 to 64. Skip to the pics below.

Novel: On Tuesday 03/01 we picked of a half scoop of anchovies from Nacho and headed over with a calm sea. Bones and mackies were on the snap between Frog Rock and Toyon Bay, and we got enough to stuff the bait cages in no time. Don released the worlds smallest yellowtail, caught on an anchovy. o_O

We set up that night on our hoopin’ honey hole. First pull at 7 produced nothing but giant spider crabs and a few shorts, as there was a very short low tide swing. The next pull at 9 got things rolling with 8 legal bugs and lots of shorts released. Last pull at 11 topped out our limits with 6 more keepers, and a few legals released. Most of the locals were hooping out in 200 feet of water, but we did fine in 60 to 100 feet.

The next morning we ran over to the Isthmus area to some deep stones for rock fish. I got a 3 pound goat, and then Don got an 8 pound halibut in the same area. It taped out at 26 inches and is the first legal on the boat this year. Don then follows that up with an 8 pound goat. All were caught on frozen squid. We used the rock release to send a bunch of smaller rock fish back home.

Since we had our limits of lobs, we moored up at Hen Rock for some victory cocktails and relaxation. The ride back to the barn was a little bumpy but not too bad. Queue up the deep fryer for tacos and the BBQ for the lobster!

Limits of bugs ready for their "antenima" Ouch!
DSCN1385.JPG

Don with the 8 pound halibut
DSCN1359.JPG

Don with his 8 pound sheepshead
DSCN1361.JPG

2 nice bugs on the new 30 gallon bait tank
DSCN1381.JPG

Don with the worlds smallest yellowtail
DSCN1355.JPG

Last edited:

Reel hip

Meet my "Well known Member"
Feb 19, 2008
San Diego
Name
Doug
Boat
25ft Skipjack fly
What a fun trip. Great weather is always a bonus

Pursut joe

Jun 22, 2015
Novato
Name
Joe C
Boat
22outrage
Nice haul And nice butt and sheep head

and very jealous was heading out to check the weather and it does not look good so I canceled the trip .

polfishski

Well-Known "Member"
Oct 5, 2008
Descanso
Name
Tom
Boat
20 SkipJack (Tail Chaser)
Cool read, thanks for taking the time to write it up. Nice pics too.