hotrail20

Skiff Life
May 28, 2006
Chino,Ca
Name
Leonard
Boat
Mine
Beautiful crossing their and back although Chilly at the docks, Limits for 3 guys in 2 sets. Depth was 160-290ft.
Sorry for No pictures but the boys are getting very Protective of spots these days Bugs averaged 2-4 lb almost all males.

Back at dock 9:30 home by 10pm

We all know what they look like

Upvote 0

FloMar

Hired Gun!
Apr 28, 2004
CA.
Name
John Collar
Boat
Parker 2320
Beautiful crossing their and back although Chilly at the docks, Limits for 3 guys in 2 sets. Depth was 160-290ft.
Sorry for No pictures but the boys are getting very Protective of spots these days Bugs averaged 2-4 lb almost all males.

I'd be protective also, no two ways about that.
When one has a spot like this, at the depths you stated, it can be somewhat challenging to park the dinner wagon in the same parking spot each trip.
To gett'em that quick can be somewhat of a buzzkill, my opinion, cuz basically that's dialed-in IMO. Great job, congrats!

Upvote 0

hotrail20

Skiff Life
May 28, 2006
Chino,Ca
Name
Leonard
Boat
Mine
I'd be protective also, no two ways about that.
When one has a spot like this, at the depths you stated, it can be somewhat challenging to park the dinner wagon in the same parking spot each trip.
To gett'em that quick can be somewhat of a buzzkill, my opinion, cuz basically that's dialed-in IMO. Great job, congrats!
Took a while to find the spot, lots of Time at Island and dialed in now have to be protective now as more and more folks are in too Hooping

Upvote 0

FloMar

Hired Gun!
Apr 28, 2004
CA.
Name
John Collar
Boat
Parker 2320
Took a while to find the spot, lots of Time at Island and dialed in now have to be protective now as more and more folks are in too Hooping

I found your spot! And it's right next to my Spot!
California Spiny Lobsters.jpg

Upvote 0

FloMar

Hired Gun!
Apr 28, 2004
CA.
Name
John Collar
Boat
Parker 2320
This is a shallow spot I can give you

View attachment 806124

You did your homework I'm impressed, so did I.
Spiny lobster, San Benito Islands, Panulirus interruptus, San Benito Islands (Islas San Benito)

Quite a library of pictures there, very impressed. :appl:

Upvote 0

Team Ball's Out

I Should Upgrade My Account
Jun 18, 2005
Vista
Name
Ray Collier
Boat
23' Sea Swirl Striper
No pictures I have to all High school Bull shit... sorry

Upvote 0

ISLAND BOUND

Jan 18, 2006
Orange County
Name
Mike
Boat
26 striper White Knuckles

How much line are you using for 300 feet? 350'? You must have a pretty good puller too, with my ace line hauler it would probably take 15 minutes per net at that depth(or seem like it at least)

2 legal per net average is good, that's about what I get when they are crawling good on a decent night, when it's off I seem to be more like 1 per net or a little less.

Are you using 1/4"line or the 3/8 "stuff?

Upvote 0

hotrail20

Skiff Life
May 28, 2006
Chino,Ca
Name
Leonard
Boat
Mine
We use the 5/16th purple hard ropes from SD Lobster port. We have a Ace line Hauler as well. Pull time is a bit I wouldn't say 15 minutes though. We use 5 lb weights. We have ropes at 250,300 and 400ft. Depending on Current! tag end has 50-100 ft on it. We have 10 oz sliding weight on them from Pacific edge. We use barrels cut in half to store the ropes. FYI the 200ft range is just as good. We are using the New Ambush nets 36 inch seem better than the 27 inch as well. We have a Coiler and foot pedal on the hauler as well makes life easier. Hope this helps be safe out there

Upvote 0

NoLDR

OG BD member
  • Mar 26, 2003
    Sherman Oaks
    Name
    BRAD
    Boat
    29 Baha Cruiser NoLDR
    Oh man now everyone has THE SPOT better stop posting or they will all be gone.

Looks like I need a new spot.

LOL

Happy hoopin gentlemen

Brad

Reactions: ISLAND BOUND
    Upvote 0

ISLAND BOUND

Jan 18, 2006
    Orange County
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    We use the 5/16th purple hard ropes from SD Lobster port. We have a Ace line Hauler as well. Pull time is a bit I wouldn't say 15 minutes though. We use 5 lb weights. We have ropes at 250,300 and 400ft. Depending on Current! tag end has 50-100 ft on it. We have 10 oz sliding weight on them from Pacific edge. We use barrels cut in half to store the ropes. FYI the 200ft range is just as good. We are using the New Ambush nets 36 inch seem better than the 27 inch as well. We have a Coiler and foot pedal on the hauler as well makes life easier. Hope this helps be safe out there
    Sweet! That is a hell of a set up and a lot of gear $$.

I was thinking of getting a set of the new 36"nets but they won't fit where I want them on the deck. The 32" are still catching bugs just fine so I guess I will keep those for now.

Thanks for the PM, will do.

Upvote 0

FloMar

Hired Gun!
    Apr 28, 2004
    CA.
    Name
    John Collar
    Boat
    Parker 2320
    Don't be Jealous, because you cant make it up here from SD and it sucks down there. I have pics to prove it and the boys up here already know better. If you need help with your Hooping skills let me know.
    LMFACO! :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: Now, back to business.

Years back received 'Fair Warning' and made a drive to fill-up a 110 qt ice chest with YFT scraps post 10-12 day trip.
    Best pieces were the gills, and the carcass itself minus the head.
    That Tuna your standing with made me share that.
    Your report clued me in with one phrase, you'll figure it out!

Reactions: hotrail20
    Upvote 0

ISLAND BOUND

Jan 18, 2006
    Orange County
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    ~~~~~ 'Ats why I'm happy in 31 feet!
    Ya like we believe you are hooping in 31 feet, most that know you know don't hoop that deep!!

I've watched John before, he anchors the boat and drops a rope with a weight to the bottom, the lobsters just crawl right up and in the boat.

Flomar (aka the lobster whisper)

Upvote 0

FloMar

Hired Gun!
    Apr 28, 2004
    CA.
    Name
    John Collar
    Boat
    Parker 2320
    Ya like we believe you are hooping in 31 feet, most that know you know don't hoop that deep!!

The 'Ol 90/10 rule at work again, what a clue Mike.
    Most don't believe you/me until they see it, and we know you can't save the world one hoopnetter at a time.
    An A+ for stirring the pot! :fighting0061:

Upvote 0

FloMar

Hired Gun!
    Apr 28, 2004
    CA.
    Name
    John Collar
    Boat
    Parker 2320
    If it was only that easy

I was just discussing with my partner what it takes me, or him, or both of us, to be motivated to go.
    It's not like you put 75 cents in a vending machine, pull the handle, and viola everything is magically ready to go.
    So much that has to happen just to get ready to go, let alone get there in one piece, then on the water, . . F I could go on forever.
    Anyway, just sharing, just hoping this little front moving thru is not too violent today/tonight/tomorrow-AM.
    You did give me one idea though as I'm now going to keep my 80 foot and 100 foot ropes/floats on the boat at all times during lobster season, I used to but too spoiled inside shallow. Enjoy, and thanks! John.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0