ANGLING ALLEN

Almost A Member
  • Apr 14, 2006
    Fullerton
    Name
    Larry
    Boat
    finatic
    Met at the dock at 6am, still dark, decided to hit Catalina with Dave and Jim. Stopped at Nachos for 1/2 scoop of mixed size sardines and on our way. No swells, little wind, pretty hazy as we worked our way through the anchorage (lots of Cargo ships again). Headed to the East End with no boats 70 degree water and drifted the Rock Quarry with sardines, plastics, and metal jigs. Jim started us off. The Calicos were cooperative on the fly lined sardines, and a short barracuda. Then the family stopped by; the family of sea lions. We tried to move, not far enough. After 30 minutes of feeding them, we shot to the backside. Saw only about 4 private boats and two sportboats all day. Stopped at Salta Verde kelp, conditions looked good with current, 72 degree water, but only a few calicos. Great weather! Headed to Orange Rocks for couple more calicos and a lone barracuda. Headed back to the East End and found out what that "grinding" noise was. Our bait tank pump went out! Transferred what was still alive into the small aft bait tank and worked the East End with the Freelance. Neither of us did well, so headed home at about 2pm. Beautiful weather all day, can't remember when this ride home from Catalina went so smooth with a small wind from the south (see picture). Stopped at a few small paddy's and/or working birds, and saw some dolphin. No fish...
    Great weather, some fish, easy drive... did I mention great weather? Have a great week and Tight Lines!

20210907_103440.jpg

20210907_091308.jpg

20210907_085608.jpg

20210907_144308.jpg

Kman

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Apr 7, 2003
    So Cal
    Name
    Kurt
    Boat
    Robalo R180 Trailer Trash
    Damn. How come we never get crossing weather like that?

Reactions: ANGLING ALLEN
    Upvote 0

rhgusman

Salty Dog
    Sep 9, 2012
    CA
    Name
    Rob
    Boat
    A Salt Weapon
    In the many years I've done that crossing, more often than not it's pretty snotty seas to head back to harbor (afternoon winds). Congrats on the multiple fish and the smooth seas. It's like salt in the wound if you don't get the fish you're chasing, burn tons of fuel, and then have to get beat up for over an hour on the ride home. It's like Mother Nature throwing one last jab to the gut...

Upvote 0

SeaShed

Jun 13, 2005
    SoCal
    Name
    Ken
    Boat
    29' Scarab Sport
    Guess we're getting better at reading the weather eh Larry? Glad it turned out like we thought... sounds like a great day on the water to me!!!

Reactions: ANGLING ALLEN
    Upvote 0